How edumacated are you?

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
I was reading Kajun's "Whiteboard" thread and I was thinking about Speedtouch starting college. Finalgear seems like a forum frequented by educated people, so I wonder how many degrees are held between us all...

Yaaaaaaaaaaay, Speedtouch! Do us proud.

3 here.

(Glutton for mental punishment...)

None here yet, but it's a work in progress.

Start your own damn threads next time people! :p Two here, with one more to be begun by next fall.

EDIT: I'm only counting post-secondary...is that what we mean by degrees? If we count secondary, then three.

Last edited:
BA in History. Minors in Latin and Classical Studies.

I should start brushing up on my Latin, I haven't used it in four or so years.

Completed a bachelor's degree, going for my Master's in Creative Nonfiction.

lending_tree_guy.gif

BA in history with a minor in comparative religion. JD as well (law degree).

If anyone out there has done a lot of work in the social sciences or humanities, but hasn't figured out a career path, law is a great option. If you can research and you can write research papers (which we'll call "motions" and "briefs"), you can litigate. Unlike what TV would make you think, only a tiny portion of a litigator's time is spent in the courtroom, and research ability matters a lot more than theatrical ability (at least if you're talking civil litigation instead of criminal litigation).

Bachelor's degree in letters and sciences currently getting a Licentiate in engineering in computer sciences.

3 post secondary; B.S. International Business; B.S. Economics; minors in Management and Marketing, and an MBA.

This is a bit embarrassing, but the last actual grade I completed was the 6th grade. I was home schooled after that and have worked for my dad so there was no need for any further education.

However recently the family business isn't going as well in year's past and has got me thinking about higher education. Well, that and the fact I have a kid on the way and would like to make more money in the future.

So I'll through this out there. I'd like to become an engineer of some sort. I'm leaning heavily towards an electrical engineering, but I'm not opposed to looking at other things. Any suggestions? Guidance? Etc?

My only suggestion is to pick something you like and stick to it.

First year into a B Commerce, majoring in Accounting. Was thinking of coming back in a few years time and doing my B business (would only need to do a few more courses as B Bus and B Com are so similar), but I really hate uni (too much empasis on stuff that won't mean a thing when you are working IMO) and I don't see much of a point. I also have to spend an extra year doing my B Com anyway (due to working fulltime from next year onwards), so I am already submitting myself to an extra year of punishment! :lol:

This is a bit embarrassing, but the last actual grade I completed was the 6th grade. I was home schooled after that and have worked for my dad so there was no need for any further education.

However recently the family business isn't going as well in year's past and has got me thinking about higher education. Well, that and the fact I have a kid on the way and would like to make more money in the future.

So I'll through this out there. I'd like to become an engineer of some sort. I'm leaning heavily towards an electrical engineering, but I'm not opposed to looking at other things. Any suggestions? Guidance? Etc?

Engineering is very math-heavy (multivariable calculus, differential equations and beyond), so being comfortable or willing to get yourself comfortable with that is a must. Much of engineering education involves benchtop lab work and design projects, so there's a much higher proportion of hands-on practice than a lot of education. I did my undergrad in biomedical engineering with a significant electrical engineering component, so feel free to ask about any other aspects of it.

Bachelors in Astrophysics, going for PhD.
PhD in Dumbassology, going for Supreme overlord.

My only suggestion is to pick something you like and stick to it.

That's going to be difficult for me. I get annoyed with something fairly easily.

Engineering is very math-heavy (multivariable calculus, differential equations and beyond), so being comfortable or willing to get yourself comfortable with that is a must. Much of engineering education involves benchtop lab work and design projects, so there's a much higher proportion of hands-on practice than a lot of education. I did my undergrad in biomedical engineering with a significant electrical engineering component, so feel free to ask about any other aspects of it.

My step-mother suggested biomedical engineering. How is it?

BA Admin (Economics & Industrial Relations)
Cert IV in Workplace Training & Assessment + Most of an Ad Dip done
and about a thousand other partial completes in Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas. Usually as my employer is happy to pay for only a module of a course.....

Just finished my BA in Communication Arts, with a Minor in Journalism. Going back next year for a PhD in Communication Studies...hopefully.

Bachelor's degree in letters and sciences currently getting a Licentiate in engineering in computer sciences.

You are only 17, and already have a BA?

My step-mother suggested biomedical engineering. How is it?

The annoying answer is "it's what you make of it". Long answer is that not many people try to break into industry with just a bachelor's in biomedical engineering; it's a degree that covers a lot of ground, not necessarily in much depth, and quite often is only a lead-in to another degree afterwards. Most of the people in my program (me included) ended up going to medical, graduate, or even law school. However, if you start with internships early and build a relationship with a particular company, you can start specializing early and continue with that company or that company's particular area of, say, the medical devices market. As always, each school has its own focus, and talking to professors will give you a sense of what their department's goals for their students are and how they can help you along.

Currently doing a bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering and probably going to go with an automotive option (I've got a year to pick). After that I'm looking at a master's in either aerospace or mechanical but time will tell.