The Failtima

Ehh, my parents...were going to. They went to put 'em on this morning at the shop and apparently my car's a weird size that the shop didn't have on hand.

They repaired the one that had two nails in it and sent me on my merry way. :( All the wobbly way back to Wacko. The bald one is still very bald and the other two are bald enough to need replacing. I'm glad it wasn't wet out.

So, it's off tomorrow to find shoes for it. OMG SHOE SHOPPING YAY! </PMS>

Any suggestions? P205/65R16 - Find.

Last edited:
Go with cheaper tyres, unless you plan to keep the car a while. I put Hankook Ventus HRII on my Altima, the year before I got rid of it. Honestly, I couldn't tell a difference between those and the ones Nissan put on at the factory, they're probably better. Going with a brand that isn't mainstream (Conti, Michelin, Good Year, Dunlop) will save you quite a bit.

The set with the REALLY BALD tire was Hankook, so my parents' only requirement for a new set was "NOT THAT."

I have a bad feeling I'm going to be stuck with this thing longer than I'd like, so not killing me in the rain is more important than price at the moment.

Also, it'd be nice if they'd stand up to some abuse whee, too. I have a feeling that this tendency towards acts of whee may have been a contributing factor to the baldness.

The current set's only about a year old and they already need replacing. Grr.

I suggest colorful stripes or other patterns for car :D

Do you really need 205/65/16? Maybe 205/60/16 will fit. Usually there is no big difference if you lower the middle number by 5.

Hmmm...I dunno--that's just what's on there and listed as what comes on the car everywhere. I'd rather not do anything too drastically different with 'em, but I'll keep that in mind if there's absolutely nothing I can find.

The sidewalls do seem a bit puffalumpus, though. I miss the lower-profile ones from my Grand Am. :(

Kat: it's already dirty again? Couldn't resist. However, if this LeMons idea ever comes to be, years from now when I can afford purple fluff in bulk...Failtimabunny. It. Must. Happen.

Last edited:
Well the stripes on my car cost me 40$ so it's not that big of a price :3

Go-faster stripes would ruin the simple, elegant, yet bulbous lines of the Failtima. They also might confuse people into thinking that awful clatter emanating from under the hood is "rice" instead of "impending engine failure."

Then I'd pretty much have to install a fartcan and a big pointless wing on the back, and we can't have that (yo).

That is why you cut puffalumps out of the vinyl and have puffadots

Hahahahaha...sweet!

But seriously--I do wish it was a nicer solid color, like a dark metallic green or something. I'm boring (...but not beige boring! eew). :)

Off to buy tires. Update on which ones I get coming soon.

ETA: Michelin HydroEdge (for those of you who asked)

Last edited:
Haha, I wanted 'em on today, though. Vehicular shenanigans/film project work tomorrow, school starts Monday = busy coco is busy.

I'll keep Tire Rack in mind the next time I need tires and have a bit more time to get them, though. Kind of a rare size + not a lot of choices = $30 more a wheel than I would've paid for the most expensive set on TR. Grr.

As for angering the UPS guy, I think that's what one of my neighbors must've done because there's a pile of wheels sitting behind the 80s? Mustang in the lot (...which is sitting on a flat. isn't that bad for it? we're not too proud for cinderblocks here, dude).

Last edited:
It's even more fun to order a set already mounted on steelies :D

It's even more fun than that to order four sets at once. I took pity on my FedEx Ground guy and told him to send around a dock-high truck with the tires on a pallet last time. (My mail and packages go to a mailbox center which can and does accept freight.)

Instead my mailbox center staff hated me. Oh well. They were going to hate me anyway. :D

Last edited:
I was going to recommend the Goodyear TripleTred as a great all season tire but it's a bit on the spendy side and they don't have it in your exact size.
So I'll just +1 EyeMWing's recommendation. The Contintentals should do just fine (I hate my Hankooks as well).

Edit: Aaaaand I just saw you got the HydroEdge. Should be a very good tire as well.

Last edited:
When you go in for new tires and the guy says, "haha, you have a slick," and you definitely didn't put slicks on your car...yeeeeeeeah. Oops.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ni/ninjacoco/2010/08/31/DSC00757a.JPG

1/32 tread depth! Oh, lulz.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ni/ninjacoco/2010/08/31/DSC00758a.JPG

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ni/ninjacoco/2010/08/31/DSC00759a.JPG

Here's what the new tires look like:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ni/ninjacoco/2010/08/22/newtires_001.JPG

Driving on the freeway isn't like herding an angry bunch of three-legged cats anymore! Yay!

Sidenote: Coco got new shoes, too. Extra lulz: the box lists the color as "Ferrari Red," but it definitely looks more rosso jellybean than rosso corsa to me. Either way, shiny + red + waiting on tires at the other end of the mall = look, taller coco!

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ni/ninjacoco/2010/08/31/DSC00765a.JPG

I refuse to let the Failtima be more pampered than me, dang it!

Also, it appears as if I need to clean my mirror.

Last edited:
haha, congrats on all the shoes. The only tires I've seen in worse shape than your old ones were down to the wire, literally.
Rosso Jellybean should totally be an official color.

Dude, I wish my car was rosso jellybean! <3 Haha.

(Also, I apologize in advance for the OMG HUGE PICTURE SIZE. If it's too much, I can resize it later, but I'm mooching internets elsewheres at the moment and also want to sleep soon.)