Someone Else's Problem: 1977 Land Rover Series III

Ahh, well... only 3000 miles in one year is something different then.

I still would do it maybe twice a year though. (not meaning to nag you or anything, just saying what I would do)

Been out playing tonight, I've just processed the photos taken. A combination of ones taken by me and taken by my mate who came with me. His are better than mine. This is a local ford which is great to drive through, comes up to the top of the rims.

DSC_0094_5_GS.jpg

DSC_0107_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0101_GS.jpg

You can really see the resprayed silver strips here (they were black when I bought it)
DSC_0099_GS.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like fun. I wish all the good trails weren't so far away from where I live. Oh well.

Land Rover show weekend just passed. Do I have photos I hear you ask. Why, yes.

MM_11137_S.jpg

MM_11139_S.jpg

MM_11142_S.jpg

IMG_0649_S.jpg

[
DSC_0116_GS.jpg

DSC_0160_GS.jpg

DSC_0097_GS.jpg

DSC_0007_GS.jpg

DSC_0106_GS2.jpg

DSC_0017_GS.jpg

DSC_0129_GS.jpg

DSC_0160_GS.jpg

DSC_0101_GS.jpg

Last edited:
Mad Articulation Yo!

Mad Articulation Yo!

Decided to have my own little twist-off after painting the chassis with undercoat, using my ?15 ramps.

DSC_0034_S.jpg

DSC_0035_S.jpg

DSC_0036_S.jpg

DSC_0037_S.jpg

DSC_0039_S.jpg

Last edited:
I can see the images fine.

I still haven't been able to test the full flex capability of my Jeep. I've had it pretty far, but it wasn't even close to the max. And people say that leafs don't flex. PAH!!!

I can see the images fine.

I still haven't been able to test the full flex capability of my Jeep. I've had it pretty far, but it wasn't even close to the max. And people say that leafs don't flex. PAH!!!

My lolsprings flex just fine. :p

2nunbti.jpg

Bump

Bought some 'new' wheels and tyres this morning for off road use.

DSC_0627_GS.jpg

DSC_0628_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0631_2_GS.jpg

They're an old tread pattern and are crossplies but have a good chunk or tread left on them, are road legal and were only £40. Even if you include the £9.99 for the new power drill I'm buying tomorrow morning because that cordless one in the picture isn't up to the job, that's still a bargain.

You're probably wondering why there's a picture of a wheel on its own. That's because one of the tyres that you can't see has a different rim on it. Three are long-wheelbase rims, and that is a short-wheelbase, the former having slightly more offset. So I'm going to get them swapped.

Last edited:
"New" wheels painted, fitted and tested in the mud.

DSC_0036_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0040_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0043_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0045_2_GS.jpg

They howl a bit on the road but are great off it.

Last edited:
Time for a long over due update.

Over the last couple of months I've done a few upgrades to the Series. First off was changing the propshaft UJs at the front, both were finished and made one hell of a noise at low speed. I got one from Rocky LR and 4 more from a guy on a local 4x4 forum. Another guy helped me fit them (I don't have a big vice) and that was that.

Next was upgrading the electrical system. I had been having a lot of problems with the engine stopping and not restarting in hot (or even just mild) weather after driving slowly off road. This came to a head when it died at the end of the day in the middle of an off road site and I had to pay ?15 to get towed out, where it promptly fired up. I bought a new electronic distributor and coil from eBay for ?75 and got them fitted with the help of yet another 4x4 forum member with a timing gun.

So now it's all fixed and ready to play again. I'm part way through making a drainpipe snorkel to keep water out of the engine but that's on hold until I can find the correct hoses. Here are some recent photos:

DSC_0009_GS.jpg

DSC_0012_GS.jpg

DSC_0014_GS.jpg

DSC_0038_GS.jpg

DSC_0030_GS.jpg

2010-03-07 15.24.36-1_S1920.jpg

Last edited:
I love it. I absolutely love how the entire car is within the wheelbase. Beyond the tires, there's nothing, haha. Wicked car, mate. Wicked.

This makes me miss my Disco back home. It's good to see you're getting it dirty like it's meant to be. :cool:

In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson...

In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson...

"That's not gone well."

Yarwell pay and play day 13-06-10 030 (Large).jpg

Yarwell pay and play day 13-06-10 033 (Large).jpg

Yarwell pay and play day 13-06-10 032 (Large).jpg

Yarwell pay and play day 13-06-10 036 (Large).jpg

DSC_0569_GS2.jpg

DSC_0568_GS.jpg

DSC_0566_GS.jpg

DSC_0564_2_GS.jpg

DSC_0724_2_GS.jpg

That hole didn't look very big, honest. Looking on Youtube I can find 4 videos of that same hole catching others out.

Last edited:
So for the last 2 weeks I've been without my pride and despair, because it went in for it's MOT (don't you love the British way of doing things?) and promptly failed.

Some of you may remember the outcome of last years MOT, which resulted in a double page spread of problems that would need sorting. This year was no different.

Here are a few things it failed on:

• Loose wheel bearings
  • Loose steering
  • Worn suspension shackle pins
  • Headlight alignment
  • None of the brakes work properly
That's all been fixed now and I'll be picking it up tomorrow, but not before paying ?750. I was actually expecting more but that's enough.

I know I'll probably get some flack for this, but I'm retiring it from anything more than gentle off road use. In the new year I'll probably start looking for a very cheap Discovery or Range Rover to mistreat on off road courses and put it on a trailer. That way I can fix it with a welder and gaffer tape. :D

Disco Is are the way to go. Would you be getting the Diesel or v8?