F*%$ Burning Man! Wasteland Weekend is where it's at

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
I just found out about "Wasteland Weekend" and to be honest, it does sound way more appealing to me than Burning Man.

http://io9.com/5622316/screw-burnin...t-festival-is-a-three+day-mad-max-reenactment

If you've always wanted to be a Road Warrior or watch two men enter and one man leave, then get your ass down to Southern California for Wasteland Weekend, a Mad Max-themed weekend featuring DJs, post-apocalyptic vehicles... and Bartertown.

We've written before about the burgeoning subculture of Mad Max reenactors ? who gather to show off their cool replicas of the vehicles from the first two movies and recreate the classic convoy chase scene from the end of The Road Warrior. But this will be a different level. There will be three replicas of Max's pursuit special. Here's the official description:
Wasteland Weekend is a three-day post-apocalyptic party in the desert. Friday, October 22nd to Sunday, October 24th 2010.
Join the hundreds of fans coming from all over the the United States (and beyond) to gather in the Southern California desert. Set up camp at our wasteland compound, surrounded by specially-built sets. Costumes are required and post-apocalyptic campsites and vehicles are encouraged. Live for three days in a world pulled straight out of the Mad Max movies, beyond the grip of so-called civilization.
Top DJs from all over will provide the soundtrack, fire dancers and bonfires will light up the night, and modified vehicles will shake the earth with their engines. Don't miss it! Tickets on sale now.
This is an ADULTS ONLY event.
Where else can you wear your Auntie Entity costume and be regarded as a fashion icon? Plus the vendor area is actually called Bartertown, which is pretty awesome. Plus the DJs include DJ Liquid Sex Drive and Mrs. DJ Liquid Sex Drive, which is my new favorite pair of DJ names. So cancel your Burning Man tickets, and make your plans to find out who runs Bartertown!
I considered putting this in the Awesome Thread, but I really needs its own.

I wonder how I can dress the X up for a post-apocalyptic world? I think I need to start with a lift and lots more armor.

Last edited:
Get some of these tires and paint the entire X with bed liner.

Humvee_tire_270x269.jpg

Man, that does sound really awesome.

As for costuming, find the rattiest worn clothing you can locate, distress it some more, slap a shitload of metal accents on it and you should be g2g.

Last edited:
This could be epic!

then again this could also be 4 guys in S&M clothing showing up in a minivan with plastic spikes taped to the front :p

Oh man, That would be so much fun, I would scrounge craigslist just to find a car to post-apocalipticize and drive drive it down there in full costume. EPIC!!!

1241612602_resized.jpg

Brought to a post-apocalyptic LARP in Sweden. The owned drove it there apparently.

Sounds like fun. I've always had a post-apocalyptic vehicle in mind, dunno what that says about me. I've always thought this van would be a perfect base and that massive front bumper would be perfect for fitting electrified retracting spikes behind. 4 panels for weapons to hide behind, fit a V8 in the middle, fit decent suspension and Robert's your mother's brother.

84954_wx9uzJ.jpg

Sounds like fun. I've always had a post-apocalyptic vehicle in mind, dunno what that says about me. I've always thought this van would be a perfect base and that massive front bumper would be perfect for fitting electrified retracting spikes behind. 4 panels for weapons to hide behind, fit a V8 in the middle, fit decent suspension and Robert's your mother's brother.

84954_wx9uzJ.jpg

I disagree.....

a: no 4wd
b: why would you want to hide your weapons? its post apocalyptic world, large part of survival is gonna be intimidation, biggest dog in the junkyard and all that......a refrigerated van isent exactly scary :p
c: thats japanese.......spare parts are gonna become a problem real soon and nothing else will fit it.
d: its a cabforward design, any frontal impact and your dead

actualy, in Britain, the best survivalist car would be euhrmm...... your landrover I think, heaps of parts laying around,and a go anywere bolt anything to it chassis.

Last edited:
actualy, in Britain, the best survivalist car would be euhrmm...... your landrover I think, heaps of parts laying around,and a go anywere bolt anything to it chassis.

I agree....and so does the BBC.

_45225635_9a39e595-d44b-469f-bab9-1b6bd9c93fa5.jpg

I agree....and so does the BBC.

_45225635_9a39e595-d44b-469f-bab9-1b6bd9c93fa5.jpg
I watched the BBC Survivors remake and thought it was quite good in parts, but the critics didn?t like it and the second series ratings sucked, so no third series is to be made.
(I also have the original 1970?s series on DVD, which again was a bit mixed but good in parts.)
Am a bit surprised anyone outside the UK has even heard of it, as it bombed over here.
:)

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool show, actually.

Sweet! It's on Netflix!

BBCA aired it earlier this year, apparently.

I watched the BBC Survivors remake and thought it was quite good in parts, but the critics didn?t like it and the second series ratings sucked, so no third series is to be made.
(I also have the original 1970?s series on DVD, which again was a bit mixed but good in parts.)
Am a bit surprised anyone outside the UK has even heard of it, as it bombed over here.
:)

I just saw the title come across "theBox" and the fact that it was a new series... so i checked it out. I watch a lot of British shows that way. I just watch out for anything s01e01, then read the info about the series and decide from there.