The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

^the turbines will love that :lol:

No kidding, and depot level repair too, but actually, it looks worse than it really is. Notice there's practically no dust, sand or debris near the intake nacelles.

44365_139914716049655_105260116181782_172688_3367859_n.jpg

So yesterday while out in the backyard grilling pizza (seriously, grilled pizza is awesome) I saw an F-86 Sabre! It was taking off and probably about a kilometer away laterally (as opposed to the normal right fucking overhead) but, yeah, totally a Sabre, unmistakable fuel tanks and whatnot. It's extremely unlikely that it was anything but Vintage Wings' Hawk One, but it didn't look gold it looked grey, but that could have just been due do haze.

So yesterday while out in the backyard grilling pizza (seriously, grilled pizza is awesome) I saw an F-86 Sabre! It was taking off and probably about a kilometer away laterally (as opposed to the normal right fucking overhead) but, yeah, totally a Sabre, unmistakable fuel tanks and whatnot. It's extremely unlikely that it was anything but Vintage Wings' Hawk One, but it didn't look gold it looked grey, but that could have just been due do haze.

There are a number of Sabres in private hands. Here's one, owned and flown by Retired U.S. Navy Captain Dale Snodgrass:

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/li/lieutenant47/2010/08/28/Aviation-US_Navy_040925-N-0295M-091_Retired_U_S__Navy_Capt__Dale_Snodgrass_takes_off_in_his_Korean_War-era_F-86_Sabre.jpg

We should ask if MrChips has done that mid-air :p

We should ask if MrChips has done that mid-air :p

Nope, I've never done that. Don't think I would either...you've got to be a special brand of asshole to do that to your passengers.

However, there was (possibly) a case where a pilot who may or may not have been working for a company I've worked at might have suddenly idled the power levers in a corporate twin-turboprop in an attempt to get the unruly rig-pigs in the back to shut up and sit down - I imagine that the sudden lack of engine noise would have been rather frightening. But then again, I might be totally misremembering this.

I think I need to put sarcasm tags around my comments. :lol:

True Stories from my Dad (UAL 727 Captain in the day):

One one particular flight, there were a number of unruly, hyperactive and undisciplined young children who were driving the stewardesses and the rest of the passengers bonkers. The head Stewardess came to the cockpit to see if anything could be done. My Dad sent the co-pilot back to have a little chat with the parents, but a short time later, the head Stewardess came to the cockpit again and said that the kids were still going nuts and whatever the copilot said to the parents obviously had little to no effect. My Dad told the Stewardess to finish serving the inflight meal the best they could and to let him know when that was done. A bit later on, the harried Stewardess came to the cockpit to inform my Dad that they had finally managed to get the meal served and they were about at their wits end with the kids. My Dad told her to go back and have her and the other Stewardesses take their seats. After she'd gone, he took the plane off Autopilot and waggled the controls just enough to give the impression of a slightly bumpy ride. He activated the "Fasten Seatbelts" sign and went on the PA to tell the passengers that they anticipated a little turbulence and for everyone to return to their seats and fasten their seatbelts. He then proceeded to put the flight deck on oxygen and raised the cabin pressure slowly to just under 10,000 ft.

With less oxygen, the kids tired out very quickly and were soon nearly all asleep. When they landed and the crew had gone to dinner at their RO1N hotel, the head Stewardess proclaimed my Dad a Saint and said he'd probably saved her from a child abuse charge. LOL.

Gee thanks Airbus for ruining that shot.