Mafia II

Visually its outstanding, if it was first person, you could totally lose yourself in the whole experience.
Even the accumulated snow sort of falls away when you start driving .... the attention to detail is really amazing

Last edited:
It is definitely a short game...
I had about a 2 and half hour sit the other day and completed about 10 chapters, the game said it was 33% complete, so I believe the 6 hour mark (It took me a couple of attempts to do a couple missions, playing on hard). For exampled I had finished a mission on the far part of town, and had to go to Joe's place just to finish it... so I sped up to about 100km/h and ... didn't know that road went suddenly downhill... jumped lost control and crashed against a wall for my insta-death :D
Had to drive back all over again

Last edited:
I've been at it for three days and not finished yet (on chapter 14). I don't quite agree that's its boring, the checkpoints can be a bit annoying at times but so far it's definitely been a very enjoyable game.

just put the driving in simulation, it took me 3 chapter to find that button.

Makes driving on snow fun.

Yeah and I get barley 20 fps with Physics on from my gtx 260. So probably would need another card for physics. With physics off I get 55 fps on 1240x1024

Last edited:
I have physx off because I own an ATi card... :rolleyes:

Me too, turned down aa and af a bit but otherwise the demo ran great on all high settings. I'll look for this to go on sale, I can't justify $50 for what is described by some as a short game but I really liked the demo.

just put the driving in simulation, it took me 3 chapter to find that button.

Makes driving on snow fun.

Yeah and I get barley 20 fps with Physics on from my gtx 260. So probably would need another card for physics. With physics off I get 55 fps on 1240x1024

That's strange, I get around 38 with PhysX on on my GTX 260. (On medium, that is.)

Just bought this and installing it right now, I played through Mafia I (which completely blow me away for a game nearly 9 years old) the last couple of days and it was an amazing story, this game certainly has a lot to live up to in my mind. I enjoyed the gameplay in the demo, graphics are great even though I can only run on low/mid settings.

That's strange, I get around 38 with PhysX on on my GTX 260. (On medium, that is.)

You probably have a better CPU.

The game was released on Tuesday and only today was mine shipped out... :glare:

I ordered the Collector's Edition for PC over a month ago (it was $60 for some reason, right now it's $70 so it was probably a typo, so I jumped on it! :D). The day it was released mine didn't ship because it was sold out already probably because that many people pre-ordered it before me. Anyway, they get back in stock the next day, but they still didn't process my order because the card I ordered it on was canceled, so I had to input my new card and it was finally shipped today.

After reading some of the MANY complaints on the official forum (seriously, it's like a freakin zoo in there), I'm still excited for this game. Basically, everyone is complaining about how a lot of promised stuff was left out of the final game because the devs had a deadline. Things like: 10 sq mile map (it's actually only 4-5 sq miles), 50-70 cars (there are actually only around 40), and a short story (they said it was going to be 15 hours, but most people finished it in under 10).

All that stuff doesn't really bother me because this is a linear, story-focused game. Also, many things like an extension of the map, more cars, more story missions (and side missions), more outfits, melee weapons, and a dedicated free-roam mode might all come out as DLC. ;)

Unbelievably, an official review magazine actually gave this game a 4/10...:blink:

Just from the demo, I can't see that as being even remotely logical; the driving and shooting mechanics are almost perfect, just walking around absorbing the atmosphere is also quite nice. How could a game that has very good gameplay, graphics, and a story written by the same people who wrote the story in the first Mafia possibly deserve a 4/10?

Last edited:
Still can't decide if I want to buy this or not.

Will probably... acquire it as the demo, while helpful, doesn't really give a wider view of the game. If I like it, then I'll buy it.

In addition to my previous post; Eurogamer (the ones who gave Mafia II a 4/10) gave the first Mafia..........................4/10!!! :rofl: are these guys idiots or what?

Edit: Here's some more comedy for you: the same site (although with different reviewers) gave the far inferior PS2 and Xbox versions of the first mafia 5/10 and 6/10, respectively...:lmao:

Last edited:
I got worried reading some reviews about this one but i can happily say that this is just what i hoped from Mafia 2, loving it so far(chapter 11). I just happened to buy Mafia back in the days so i don't know how well that was taken by the reviewers.

This is also the first game that have brought my computer to it's knees in max settings. It sure is beautiful looking game.

So got around to playing it now. And I don't care what anyone says. I think this is a fantastic game! :D

The story is good. (Normally I don't look much in a story. If it grabs me and takes me along, I couldn't care less :p and Mafia 2 does just that). And I remember that some reviewers complaining about driving? Why? No one complained about driving in GTA 4! And its no different here. And actually I like driving more in Mafia 2. Its more realistic. Sure the cars are slow and you have to obey the laws but thats due to the nature of the game.

Anyone notice the tire flex action going on in the tires (Where else :p)? That looks really cool! And you can open the boot and the hood! (Although you cannot get in the car when they are open) And no loading times except the first one? Thats awesome!

I must admit that saving is pain in the ass. Where the heck are the checkpoints? And is there a way to anyway to manually save the game? I once started a new chapter but instead of doing it I drove around and stole a car and put it in the garage. I thought the game will be saved....but no. :glare:

And might I add this game runs beautifully on my P4! Much better optimized than GTA 4. (Sure no AA, Phyx and oriented annihilation or whatever it was) It still looks beautiful and I manage 15 - 20 FPS!

I manage 15 - 20 FPS!

I wouldn't boast about that...:p

It's funny that I started this thread over 3 years ago and I'm still probably the only one here who still didn't get the game! :lol:

Monday can't come soon enough; I'm gonna get up early and set up camp at my mailbox and wait for the postman. :D

Its an achievement for my dear P4 :lol:

That isn't bad at all, even my Dual Core struggles a bit sometimes (everything on high, PhysX off), it gets worse during night missions but is still playable. (still far better than GTA though)

My main problem is that after about 4 hours or so of playing the game will have gradualy got more laggy, by the 4 hour mark its normaly too slow to play and I have to leave the PC to rest for a while. Even after the games has closed it runs slowly for 15 mins or so, anyone know why this might be?