2010 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps

Said it before & I'll say it again, Webber's starts will cost him a championship. One thing that has improved is that he didn't get taken out or didn't take himself out in the first few laps, so maybe he's becoming patient.

He had a clutch bite problem and all the practice starts they've done after the practice sessions were done on a wet track and with wet tires on. All the starts I've seen by Webber this year have been pretty good so this is a fluke. He did some good damage limitation after that poor start and good 2nd place unlike some drivers who would sit in 6th place and have a pity party.

He had a clutch bite problem and all the practice starts they've done after the practice sessions were done on a wet track and with wet tires on. All the starts I've seen by Webber this year have been pretty good so this is a fluke. He did some good damage limitation after that poor start and good 2nd place unlike some drivers who would sit in 6th place and have a pity party.

The Malaysian & Euro GPs were both bad starts, but he has improved over all. The British GP start was what we want to see more of.

"Vettel is faster than you, can you confirm you understood this message jenson?"

Said it before & I'll say it again, Webber's starts will cost him a championship. One thing that has improved is that he didn't get taken out or didn't take himself out in the first few laps, so maybe he's becoming patient.

This wasn't his fault. There was a problem with the car as it happened on the formation lap as well. He was lucky to get away with it and he actually drove quite calmly in the early stages when we've seen him in the past just go ballistic and try to win it all back. It all unfolded for him eventually and he got a pretty decent 2nd.

Hamilton was excellent as usual. Just the one real mistake at turn 8 which sent my heart into my mouth for a bit as I wondered if he'd get out of the gravel. It brought back memories of China 07. Luckily the gap was large enough to not be troubled by Kubica. I was still a bit worried, he hit the barrier with his rear wheel and something appeared to fly off later around the track but all's well that ends well. Everyone made mistakes today but I think Hamilton did the best job because being first on the road, he's the point man. He gets to the corners first and he doesn't know what the grip is like. The others behind him can watch him to some extent and plan accordingly.

Great drive by Kubica as well.

Vettel, well I don't think I can add much more than what's already been said. Very disappointing to see him take out Button like that. Very satisfying to see him with a rear puncture later on though. I spent the rest of the race hoping he wouldn't luck into some points because he totally didn't deserve any. A drive through was a bit weak for his crash with Button but fair within the confines of the rules (same as Hamilton's penalty in Valencia).

I'm amazed at the strength of that Ferrari, to be able to rejoin having taken such a big hit from Barrichello.

The McLaren looked excellent though, much better than it's looked in previous races. I'm not sure what upgrades they had but the car looked very hooked up to me. The Red Bull looked good as well (as always) but for some reason they didn't have the advantage they had in Hungary and in previous races. Maybe they had to change something on their front wings? They were beaten on pace today not only by McLaren but by Renault with Kubica as well. Kubica was pulling ahead of Webber until the rain in the closing stages.

Anyone else think it's a bit shit that Schumacher got a 10 place grid drop for almost causing a collision. Yet Vettel only gets a meaningless drive through for causing a collision. He was in 12th place after the collision and then gets a drive through to put him even further back. The penalty just doesn't seem right for taking out what could have been a 2nd place for Button/Mclaren and 18 more points.

While people might say that Schumacher was dangerous or too aggressive to Barrichello, Vettel was just stupid. Button after the race on the BBC forum was just confused about the whole incident. Should never of happened, and in a way Vettel gets away with it very lightly. I would have hoped he got a grip drop for Monza. The drive through was just weak...

Since you've mentioned about Schumacher, i thought he had a damn good race overall. But watching Sutil overtake him was pure gold.

Great GP weekend. Spa FTW! Best circuit ever! Had me glued to the screen. Gutted for Rubinho and Jenson. Alonso was useless all weekend. Shame

Force India were bloody fast! I'm expecting good results from them at Monza. Good job for Alguesuari for getting a point too. To be honest, most of the crashes here weren't on purpose. Schumacher's incident got a more severe penalty because of the intent, and not the result.

True, Force India was very quick. And now have 1 extra point:

Formula1.com said:
Liuzzi inherits final point after Alguersuari penalty

Force India?s Vitantonio Liuzzi has moved up from 11th to 10th place in the Belgian Grand Prix results after Toro Rosso?s Jaime Alguersuari had 20 seconds added to his race time by the Spa stewards.

Alguersuari was penalised for cutting the final chicane on lap 42, whilst defending from Liuzzi during their late-race battle. The Spaniard failed to surrender his position following his mistake and was deemed to have gained an advantage. He drops to 13th as a result of the penalty.

With Liuzzi's team mate Adrian Sutil coming home fifth, it means both Force Indias scored points in Belgium.

I didn't even know of that incident

Everybody thinks that, and that's probably the reason it's still there.

even bernie!

belgium only had to pay 14 mil $ to host the F1 race. singapore had to pay over 40 mil...

and we still didn't break even :mad:

Anyone else think it's a bit shit that Schumacher got a 10 place grid drop for almost causing a collision. Yet Vettel only gets a meaningless drive through for causing a collision.

and barichello doesn't get anything for ruining alonso's race...

Last edited:
The McLaren looked excellent though, much better than it's looked in previous races. I'm not sure what upgrades they had but the car looked very hooked up to me. The Red Bull looked good as well (as always) but for some reason they didn't have the advantage they had in Hungary and in previous races. Maybe they had to change something on their front wings? They were beaten on pace today not only by McLaren but by Renault with Kubica as well. Kubica was pulling ahead of Webber until the rain in the closing stages.

A couple of people including M. Whitmarsh and R. Brawn have said that the Red Bull front wing looked very different at Spa comparing to the other races. It would've been hilarious if Red Bull have secretly changed the wings without telling anyone. Who knows...

That was a good race, except for Vettel ruining Button's race.

I'm glad the championship is turning into Webber v Hamilton. My two favourite drivers on the grid :)

even bernie!

belgium only had to pay 14 mil $ to host the F1 race. singapore had to pay over 40 mil...

and we still didn't break even :mad:

and barichello doesn't get anything for ruining alonso's race...
Barichello locked up his front wheels and slid on the wet tarmac and it hardly ruined Alonso's race, in the immediate time? yes a bit but he was back up in 9th near the end before he binned it off the curb.

He did ruin his race, stop trying to play it off. Even if he didn't "bin it" against the wall, a 9th place and the 2 points it awards is not that much help for a championship contender. If the Barrichello incident hadn't occured he'd be battling out on the top 5 which is what matters.

It was a downhill weekend all along for Alonso... Being best in Friday practice, then not being best in saturday, to qualifying 10th, to being punted off, making the wrong decision about the intermediates right after that, having to pit again, and when he was almost high up enough to start saying "hey luck is changing!" he did a very uncharacteristic mistake.
Nothing more but to brush it off and try again next race...

And just to clear it out, I do feel for Rubens cos this wasn't the way he planned his 300th GP I'm sure... but stuff happens

Last edited:
I am not a Ferrari fanboy but I agree Alonso did bloody well after that shunt to keep going for as long as he did - hell Ferrari you build strong cars - anyone else would have been out after that - respect.

I am not a Ferrari fanboy but I agree Alonso did bloody well after that shunt to keep going for as long as he did - hell Ferrari you build strong cars - anyone else would have been out after that - respect.

True this, and it has crossed my mind how would someone drive with the ever present fear the right rear suspension might just snap off and make it a 3 wheel car on a straight... it must have been quite unnerving for him