Whale wars: Watch Eco-pussies attack japanese whalers, and fail hilariously

Not in the US (which is by far the largest beef market in the world). We feed our cows corn ... and antibiotics and growth hormone. Just like mother nature intended. :rolleyes: You wouldn't come anywhere near meeting the US' beef demand with grass-fed cattle. It's simply not possible.

And while it's certainly a misrepresentation to compare, say, the caloric content of a pound of beef to that of a pound of wheat (instead of a pound of bread), it's not incorrect to say that you could feed a lot of people with the grain we put into cattle.

You two seem to think I'm american. I am not american. Stop putting me in the disasterwagon that American diet means. You need so much meat cos more than half of your population eat in excess of what they need.

hansvonaxion said:
But you want it both ways? OK, you can continue eating beef if Japanese are allowed to continue eating whale. We are agreed.
Fine, if you fish it traditionally on the shores and not chase them down where a XV century japanese person couldn't catch them at all. Deal?

You two seem to think I'm american. I am not american. Stop putting me in the disasterwagon that American diet means. You need so much meat cos more than half of your population eat in excess of what they need.

No, I believe he mentioned America because of the size of the industry, high consumption and because he's American. Notice he said we.

Edit: Just realised you meant me, too. Sorry, I don't have the time to provide personalised statistics for every member who posts in this thread. Funny that you mentioned how cruel whaling is, though, being from Portugal.

Fine, if you fish it traditionally on the shores and not chase them down where a XV century japanese person couldn't catch them at all. Deal?

In case you missed it, Japan has repeatedly asked the IWC for permission to resume STCW with the following provisions;
  • quotas open to negotiation
  • the number of whales taken in local waters would be deducted from the northern scientific catch quota
  • the meat would be for local consumption with DNA testing for confirmation
  • an IWC oversight committee with inspectors
  • the moratorium on commercial whaling would remain

Completely reasonable proposal, rejected.

And, if you're familiar with what's going on in the IWC, you would know that the IWC has been working on breaking the deadlock and the recent, "Proposed Consensus Decision to Improve the Conservation of Whales from the Chair and Vice Chair of the Commission" that was discussed behind closed doors in Morocco included the following, among other things;
  • immediate reduction of Japanese scientific catches
  • phase out of all scientific catches over the next 10 years
  • a return to STCW in Japan with small takes allowed, decided under the RMP

So, a proposal that would phase-out Antarctic whaling and see a return to STCW. Japan discussed the proposal in good faith, yet anti-whaling nations dismiss the very idea...

Australia will continue to argue vigorously that whaling should be phased down to zero, with total and permanent elimination of all whaling (other than current aboriginal subsistence whaling), within a reasonable timeframe.

But all that is beside the point, Japan has every right to expect normalisation of the IWC and to be able to make use of whale stocks in international waters.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't get what all the fuss is about.

I come from a nation, Norway, that's been whaling for centuries. Whale meat is thus a traditional ingredient in Norwegian cuisine, and it's very healthy. Whale meat is also very reasonable priced, so as a student I have whale meat for dinner a couple of times a month. I don't think whaling is any less right than hunting other kinds of non-endangered wildlife, such as deer, moose etc.

When it comes to killing the whales, the current methods used by norwegian whalers (assessed after 2000) have shown that 80 % of the whales shot are dead or knocked unconscious instantly by the explosive tipped penethrite grenade harpoon.

Last edited:
I always laugh when they critisize the grenade harpoon as if its sick and barbaric.

Excuse me, do they prefer the old ways where they chase it with tiny boats, stab it hundreds of times with tiny (to it) spears until it gets tired from loss of blood, semi-drowns, than they cut it open while its still alive? To me a big brain explosion seems much more humaine.

I'm now ashamed to be American, again...

Actually it's pretty good mix of American, Australian, and mayb new Zealanders? Idk exactly but there's lots of non americans on-board if I remember correctly.

I watched a few episodes, but was disappointed that the Japanese never opened fire with some legal small-arms. They have every right to.

*edit* Sure the grenade harpoons are bad. But remember, the standard of inhumane is anything that results in death, blood loss, breakage of skin, irritation to skin, or ever mental irritation to the whale. I can see it right now "omg them dam japs just looked at that whale funny, lets ram them!"

Last edited:
Blind, you might not have noticed, but I was ignoring you, we've had our discussion and it came to its conclusion.

But I can't let you to continue to post blatant lies, especially after all this time and after being caught so many times.

Not only is meat part of the human diet, it's kind of necessary.

One third of Indians disagree. Yes, more than the population of the US, they would be the world's third largest nation.

There is also a purely vegan, 5000 year old, "racially pure" Aryan tribe in the north of India. They must be doing something right.

And this, I don't know what to think of it...

It's not hypocrisy to realize that you are destroying a natural resource and change the hunting/fishing accordingly.

Besides the obvious ridiculousness, I'll be specific...

Please tell us which countries stopped hunting whales for conservation and when.

And I think it's interesting that you said, "change the hunting/fishing" not, "stop the hunting/fishing".

Last edited:
I started watching this show last season just to watch the disappointment look on their faces (Sea Sheperd). But, now, I have to admit, I sorta kinda feel sorry for 'em.

Never thought i'd say this, but Sea Sheppard are now competent bordering on effective!

Having more than 1 ship definitely helped. Big time helped. The Japanese fleet would be in trouble if the Sea Shepherd ever acquired more ships and/even choppers.

I like those compressed air projectile guns they have. What they need to do is make a version that can fire repeatedly. Even one where they can mount on the ship and fire remotely.

Enjoyable last episode. Bethume continues to be an inspiration, and that's not me being cynical. I actually enjoy watching this man work. Do I necessarily agree with his politics? Nah, but he's a fun guy to watch. The rest of the crew seems to be doing alright as well. Seems like having two boats and a few more senior aides has helped minimize the Admiral's special brand of stupid. I still don't like the hush toned retard who they had at the helm while launching the helo - gah, how did he ever become a mate (oh wait, Sea Shep...). And the Japanese really seem to have their stuff together as well. Good show now that they're not trotting around the south sea like a bunch of buffoons.

Never thought i'd say this, but Sea Sheppard are now competent bordering on effective!

Having more than 1 ship definitely helped. Big time helped. The Japanese fleet would be in trouble if the Sea Shepherd ever acquired more ships and/even choppers.

The catch was pretty much the same as 06 (from memory) when there was a fire on board the Yusshin Maru and they came back a month early. This season the Nisshin Maru #2 (from memory) came back early with Bethune, the show didn't really say what happened after that but I guess they just tailed the Yusshin Maru.

It's difficult to quantify their effectiveness because the year they started their campaign is the same year JARPA II started (and the quotas were raised) so there are no pre-established figures that show how many whales they would be catching if the SS weren't there.

So it appears to be the most "effective" in the short term sense, but we should keep in mind the ultimate goal of the SS, to stop all whaling. This guy has written an article about it.

"SSCS methods can best be summarized as: Phase 1 ? direct action against whalers/sealers/fishermen; Phase 2 ? ?; Phase 3 ? end whaling/sealing/illegal fishing. Until someone fills in Step 2, SSCS is just dancing with Underpants Gnomes."

Something else to consider; if at the end of the JARPA II program the scientific research results are seen as unsatisfactory, the SS's actions will be a perfect excuse for the ICR. The sample size was reduced by such a margin that it rendered the data worthless. SS just destroyed any chance anyone had at criticising the results of the program because of their sabotage. :lol:

Enjoyable last episode. Bethume continues to be an inspiration, and that's not me being cynical. I actually enjoy watching this man work. Do I necessarily agree with his politics? Nah, but he's a fun guy to watch.

...a few more senior aides has helped minimize the Admiral's special brand of stupid.

I thought you were joking at first, the lighting of the 5000 degree wand in the bowels of the ship was pretty ridiculous, but the last episode showed he can get shit done when it comes down to it. Like you say, politics aside he seems a likable guy and would certainly make a better leader than Watson.

Please don't call Watson an Admiral. :lol:

So I guess that's it this season.

Please tell us which countries stopped hunting whales for conservation and when.

I thought that would have been an easy question to answer, considering. How about I make it easier, which countries reduced their takes for conservation porpoises and when?

Last edited:
Call Putin

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/08/30/Russia_Putin.sff-da942927-1400-4b43-87e1-b86fd9cddfe4.jpg

Why the hell does he have a crossbow? Wait, nevermind, I probably don't need to know.

just watched the documentery about the Dolphin Coves last night on discovery and i must say [the sea sheppard captain with the white beard] was very smart when he talked about this issue. it didnt seem like him at all. im wondering how much of him seeming over dramatic and stupid is from good editing. im not in any way saying i agree with the way they do things but he knew what he was talking about with the dolphin issue

You talking about The Cove or Blood Dolphins? Don't remember him being in The Cove, haven't seen blood dolphins. Do keep in mind the fact that he readily admits to making facts up on the spot, that can make you appear well-informed, especially when you're appearing uncontested in a "friendly" production that won't even attempt to check your claims - the wilder the better.

The nature of the mass media today is such that the truth is irrelevant. What is true and what is right to the general public is what is defined as true and right by the mass media. Ronald Reagan understood that the facts are not relevant. The media reported what he said as fact. Follow-up investigation was ?old news.? A headline comment on Monday?s newspaper far outweighs the revelation of inaccuracy revealed in a small box inside the paper on Tuesday or Wednesday.

-Paul Watson.

But don't you think he should be well-informed about these issues? He puts peoples lives at risk, drags good, hard-working people's names through the mud and pays himself an exorbitant salary from the donations of his supporters, the least he could do is a little research.

I thought you were joking at first, the lighting of the 5000 degree wand in the bowels of the ship was pretty ridiculous, but the last episode showed he can get shit done when it comes down to it. Like you say, politics aside he seems a likable guy and would certainly make a better leader than Watson.

Please don't call Watson an Admiral. :lol:
Yeah, the torch in the hole was a bit dim but the rest of his stuff is great. Really a man of action. In the final episode it mentioned he has a wife and two kids - that's an incredibly understanding wife if you ask me.

Call Putin

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/08/30/Russia_Putin.sff-da942927-1400-4b43-87e1-b86fd9cddfe4.jpg

Why the hell does he have a crossbow? Wait, nevermind, I probably don't need to know.

You know when you see that guy in a big truck and you just go "Hmm, must have a tiny dick."? Anyone else feel the same about Putin recently? Or Russia in general? Lots of posturing, huffing and puffing.

You go tell him, I'll stand over here so I don't get entrails on my shirt.