Nissan Murano Convertible? why?

So when can I see a B-list celeb crash one?

Really old thread, but new news.

Its now actually going to happen.

Yes, the Nissan Murano convertible is going to happen, and not only is it coming to the LA Auto Show, but now it has a name: The Murano CrossCabriolet.

Billed as the world's first four-seat, all-wheel drive convertible crossover, the chop-top CUV will only sport two doors and ? contrary to the renderings floating around ? it won't come with PT Cruiser-style roll hoop.

According to Inside Line, joining the CrossCabriolet at the So. Cal. show this November will be a new Nissan sedan concept that, is said to be "a new dimension to traditional sedan design ? a dimension named innovation." Ridiculous hyperbole aside, the four-door concept has been dubbed Ellure, and hopefully the "new dimension" it creates will swallow the CrossCabriolet into oblivion.

Nissan may likely have you covered with the new 2011 Nissan Murano Convertible if you cannot decide between a sporty convertible and a more practical crossover. According to Automotive News the unlikely model is headed toward production.

There have been rumors and hearsay about a convertible Nissan Murano for some time, but most automotive enthusiasts were likely to have taken this information with a grain of salt. Why would anyone think to chop the top off a large, bulky vehicle designed for more practical purposes? It appear that Nissan has asked the opposite question with news that dealers were shown a ?kind of unusual,? two door convertible version of the Murano at a dealer meeting this August.
Nissan Murano Convertible not to be a volume car

Nissan officials say that the convertible will not be a volume model, as if that needed saying, but rather an image vehicle. Renderings of the vehicle, done by artists not affiliated with Nissan, peg the Murano convertible as a looking somewhat like a taller, longer PT Cruiser convertible. Whether or not that comparison holds up to reality, the bottom line is that this vehicle will be polarizing.

One dealer who had seen the vehicle told Automotive News that the convertible Murano "Actually looks better with the top down than up.? This design characteristic is true of other convertibles as well.

As for who might be such a vehicle, certainly folks who live in beach towns could have a use for such a vehicle. Currently, buyers can either go for a run of the mill convertible based on a car or go hardcore with a Jeep Wrangler for their open top fix. The Murano could offer a compromise with a higher riding style of truck but more of the driving manner of a car.

There is no official word as to when this convertible model will arrive, but Automotive News speculates that it will arrive sometime in 2011.

In additional news, Nissan announced today that the 2011 Murano will receive a refreshed grille and bumper design, new taillights, a new 18-inch wheel design, white gauge color, new center stack colors and added equipment to various trim levels.

Seems to be official too.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Pimps need a new car?

I'm not sure this is a bad idea. Odd, but not bad. A surprisingly large number of people bought convertible PT Cruisers - with that model going away without a replacement, the Murano could easily pick up those customers who have concerns about sustainability. The last PT Cruiser convertibles were made in late 2007 and are starting to fall out of warranty about now, plus the entire PT line got it in the neck this past June.

Last edited:
Even my mother who whines every time a purple pt drives by due to missing her's so much thought the convertible version looked like a lumpy tent. :lol:

My aunt has a murano, she is counting down the days until trading it in for a wrangler (cousin 2 of 3 has now hit 16 and has been given the contour, with only one kid needing to be driven around there is no longer need for a mom car and she can get one she has wanted for years :))

I'm just sad that the only 4-door convertible is a Nissan.

Mercedes why have thou forsaken me?
11_Mercedes_Benz_Ocean_Drive_Concept.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I bet their decision is based on a lot of focus groups...of dumb people.

Or maybe the testees (heh) thought Nissan was joking.

"Do you like SUV's?" Yes.
"Do you like convertibles?" Yes.

Great! We will make a convertible SUV - if they like both, they certainly would like this one!

Sheesh .... tough crowd here :lol:
At least it isn't a boring Camry clone. I'd be happy to see a few of these on the roads. :p

Great! We will make a convertible SUV - if they like both, they certainly would like this one!

Well, to be fair, they're not the first. Only the first to bring it to production.

Remember Audi?
Infact, it even had the same name. Queue the lawsuit!

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/08/30/1.jpg

I fear you might be exactly right.

What the.....I saw the title and thought it was joke/shopjob thing, but its fragging real!
Dear car industry : please stop inventing carsegments as you go along.....24545 billion is plenty, thank you.

For some reason I quite like the mad idea of an SUV convertible. I look forward to seeing it flex and roll over in corners too. I wonder what type of rollover protection they'll fit, if people take it off road rolling is very possible.

Oh God please not an another stupid SUV idea thats a fail and ugly to look at, wasn't the X6 enough punishment for our eyes?

What's next? An SUV that looks like a LeMan's racecar? An SUV that looks like a Horsebox? or an SUV that looks like Will Smith's uncle Phil Banks Estate in Bel Air, with Carlton dancing in the Glovebox.

If Nissan makes propper Car's, they either get expence or never hit Europe or America, but if they make rubbish stuff, they do it propperly rubbish, with a little help from Renault. And such bullsh*t always hit our streets somehow.

Well, to be fair, they're not the first. Only the first to bring it to production.

dscn04560bf.jpg

Would like a word - as it's also a car-based SUV-ish convertible. And it came out first. (The Murano is an Altima wagon with a suspension lift.)

Last edited:
not like it's the first convertible SUV

jeep1.jpg

:p