The Android thread

I wonder how well a G1 would run Froyo.

Better that you might expect. The hardware I have in my Magic is basically the same as in a G1, and it works nicely. Cyanogenmod is highly optimised for the target devices.

My G1 runs froyo better than it runs 1.6, so I'm happy.

(Until I get my Vibrant)

Looks like they have nightly builds working on the CDMA Hero, maybe I should be getting my hopes up :hmm:

So tell me, what kind of mods and tweaks do you get with this vaunted CyanogenMod?

There's one for the HD2 but it has a custom theme so I never bothered with it, but if it's good I might just change the themes.

I'm not sure of the entire list. It's just very fast, very stable, and works very well.

I'm actually flashing CM 6.0 right now.

phone is stuck on boot screen.

OSHI-
It won't start Android. Just sits on boot screen.

*fiddling with phone*

Fixed it, just wiped and re-flashed.

Last edited:
It just came out.

I'm having trouble making sense of the site, but as far as I can tell, there is not stable mod yet. There seems to be an experimental though.

God damn, power manangement needs to be a priority for the HD2 Android port....

Stable is not out for the Hero (neither GSM nor CDMA), it seems. Hero is also the one not being developed by Cyanogen or any of the "main" contributors, it has been this way since the beginning. However, now that the "main" stable 6.0 is out for a bunch of devices, stable for the Hero has got to follow soon.

Stable is not out for the Hero (neither GSM nor CDMA), it seems. Hero is also the one not being developed by Cyanogen or any of the "main" contributors, it has been this way since the beginning. However, now that the "main" stable 6.0 is out for a bunch of devices, stable for the Hero has got to follow soon.

Yeah, the experimental is labeled as "RC" so I can only imagine it's pretty close. The fact that Froyo is running at all is a really good sign.

What are you using? The "experimental" RC? I think I'll wait for a "stable" release.

Knightly build as of 8/29. Runs excellent. I've actually gone to using the regular keyboards, rather than swype, now that it actually rotates at a decent speed. Camera runs great, haven't had a chance to test the gps on it though.

Only complaint I have is the lack of HTC's calendar widget. Otherwise it's wicked awesome. Runs reliable and smooth.

Good luck on a "stable" release, no such thing in the hacking/modding/rom community IMO.

Knightly build as of 8/29. Runs excellent. I've actually gone to using the regular keyboards, rather than swype, now that it actually rotates at a decent speed. Camera runs great, haven't had a chance to test the gps on it though.

Only complaint I have is the lack of HTC's calendar widget. Otherwise it's wicked awesome. Runs reliable and smooth.

Good luck on a "stable" release, no such thing in the hacking/modding/rom community IMO.

Maybe not, but they went through all the trouble to put up a "stable" section :hmm:

It sounds good, I'll have to look into Sense-less Android's interface to make sure I'm not going to miss anything major. Faster rotating keyboard is a plus though I really do like the stock keyboard and its autocorrect system (I suck so much at portrait typing). Does battery life seem adversely affected? I do use the GPS sometimes so that's important too... basically I'd rather no dick around with it unless I'm reasonably sure everything will work.

Yes, this is exactly the problem I have with it, and here's the workaround:

Find the folders with content you don't want to have displayed. In those folders, generate an empty file with a file manager (or on your computer to transfer it onto the phone afterwards) with the filename '.nomedia'. This tells the system that it shall not scan the directory with this file and all subdirectories (!!!) for media files. Note that this incorporates videos and music as well. Then have the phone rescan the sd cards by either restarting it or en- and disabling a USB connection. It will rescan the cards and ignore all media in folders with the '.nomedia' file from then on.

Well this certainly works, but it doesn't help because as you point out it hides all my audio as well.

I wanted it to hide the album art but those are inside the album folders, kind of a catch 22.

Well this certainly works, but it doesn't help because as you point out it hides all my audio as well.

I wanted it to hide the album art but those are inside the album folders, kind of a catch 22.
I came across a thread somewhere a few days ago where other commands similar to '.nomedia' were mentioned, commands which only hide specific file types. Unfortunately, I can't remember where that was because I didn't deem the information that important at the time. I will be on the lookout though and drop it here if I shall find more info.

My girlfriend wants to buy an Xperia X10, for some reason she doesn't like the Sense UI on my Hero and because of that I can't get her to buy a desire *sigh*
So my question is, is the X10 a good phone? All she'll use it for is probably texting, taking pictures, listening to music and updating facebook and perhaps checking mails.
The fact that it's still on 1.6 worries me but I've read an update is coming soon (am not aware of any custom ROMs available yet)

No. It has a 1 GHz snapdragon cpu, but Sony's android mod makes it even slower than Sense. Slap some sense into her and don't let her buy a Sony. It's just crap.