Autoblog: Norster 600R is a Finnish designed, Chinese built, British Frogeye throwback

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
I would say it is hideous, but I don't want to give it any undue praise.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/02/norster-600r-is-a-finnish-designed-chinese-built-british-froge/

01-norster-630.jpg

There were plenty of reasons to love the Austin-Healey Sprite. Besides being super affordable when they debuted, the Sprite was light and capable of out-handling high-dollar sports cars of the era, not to mention the plucky British styling that was unlike anything else on the road. That combination has helped make the Sprite Mk 1 a sought after collectible, but it hasn't inspired anyone to come up with a recreation of the car. Until now. Feast your eyes on the Norster 600R.

This, um, unique creation isn't actually billed as an automobile, slipping instead into the heavy quad classification in the European Union to beat pesky hang ups like crash test and emissions standards. Penned by designers in Finland and built in China, the Norster 600R uses a 580cc two-cylinder engine with a whopping 20 horsepower and 36.8 pound-feet of torque. You aren't going to be taking the checkers at Le Mans with the Chery-sourced powerplant, especially considering the 1,150-pound unladen weight. Of course, the upswing of such a tiny engine is that the Norster can happily put along at around 50 mpg U.S.

At least there's that.

If you've suffered an aneurism recently and find yourself smitten with this multinational mid-engine creation, you can hop over to the Norster site for more information. Thanks for the tip, Tomi!

For reference. Here is an Austin Healey Sprite Mk 1:

AHFrogeyeSprite.jpg

Like most off brand things, it reminds you of the car you want while simultanously being not like it at all.

Now off to see how much a real sprite would cost...

Mk 1s can get up there ($8k-9k concourse). But if you look hard enough you can get one for ~$2k-$3k. It is also possible to slap on the Frogeye hood to a later car.

I can't tell if the car is delighted or being surprise-buttsecksed.

I want names so I can go slap the guys who did it.

So we can have lightweight, unsafe cars again? Color me impressed. Go china! Screw europe and their heavy cars with 12 airbags

It was designed in and solid to Europe.

Ok, the real Frogeye is a classic, but this is just an awful plastic fake, which I wont want to see ever in my life again, ever! :boohoo:

An insult to the Healey Sprite.

Oh for fucks sake China, are you done poorly ripping off the worlds great designs, many years after they were popular? And while I'm still angry about the weird Japanese shit too? What have I done to deserve this? :|

Edit: I skimmed, I would expect better from the Fins.

Last edited:
Mk 1s can get up there ($8k-9k concourse). But if you look hard enough you can get one for ~$2k-$3k. It is also possible to slap on the Frogeye hood to a later car.

I did find a '70 MG Midget for $5k nearby, but no this is a bad idea I don't have any money.

You always need to remind yourself of this "I could have a perfectly good Miata for under 2k". :p

You always need to remind yourself of this "I could have a perfectly good Miata for under 2k". :p

Everyone has Miatas. Possibly because they don't leak oil everywhere.

I actually can't find any Miatas for under $5k in my province. Stupid province. Though I suppose that means I won't buy one which is possibly a good thing from the point of view of my bank account.

Last edited:
Everyone has Miatas. Possibly because they don't leak oil everywhere.

I actually can't find any Miatas for under $5k in my province. Stupid province. Though I suppose that means I won't buy one which is possibly a good thing from the point of view of my bank account.

Heh. You can always do an engine swap. You'd want to do something easier than a 13B though. :p

And because I am a dick:

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/ChrisDavies.htm

midohio.jpg

Last edited:
I actually found an '03 Miata for $3k. Don't know what is wrong with it. But it's got an automatic, so ewwwww...

Stupid slow day at work, making me look for a possible $500-1000 droptop.

As for an engine swap, doing such things in my tiny shack of a garage would be... complicated.

I'm hijacking the thread away from theugly finnish chinese thing, and I admit that.