Jalopnik: Shinari: If Mazda Designed the Jaguar XF

They would in all likelihood need to enlarge the mirrors, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be elegant.

If they are still scratching for a platform, perhaps they can tap Holden on the shoulder and see what they can come up. After all, there is a precedent.

Then it would just be a case of coming up with a name. Actually, they could use the Roadpacer name again. Or RX-9 (which ties in the rotary + 929 heritage nicely).

Last edited:
This looks awesome. If Mazda doesn't have a suitable engine, they could always borrow the new Mustang's 300HP V6, with that engine in this car and RWD, it could be very competitive.

A 4 rotor with 500 some odd hp would be perfect for a lighweight 4 door super saloon me thinks. :)

While everyone wants Rotary, Mazda probably can't afford to develop a 4 rotor just for one car. But the Ford V6 is readily available and it's still competitive against the G35 and IS350. If Mazda were to make this car, that's the logical choice for them.

A 4 rotor with 500 some odd hp would be perfect for a lighweight 4 door super saloon me thinks. :)

I'm pretty sure there'd be some NVH complaints from the kind of person who could afford to buy a factory build 4 rotor with ITB's in such a sedan... and they wouldn't be interested in that expensive of a Mazda in the first place.

I posted it for amusement, nothing more.

The RX8 engine makes over 100hp per rotor. A Renesis 4 rotor, therefore, would theoretically make around 450hp (disregarding laws of diminishing returns and such) The 16x engine was more efficient still, (making reportedly 260hp+ with 2 rotors) which would push the theoretical output over 500hp all with basically zero overlap of the intake/exhaust and a factory-quiet exhaust system. Mad mike's car may have only made around 600bhp, but remember Mazda was getting over 900hp out of their R26B in it's highest tune.

Given the time, I think Mazda could easily make a 500bhp n/a rotary with perfectly acceptable NVH levels.

Last edited:
While everyone wants Rotary, Mazda probably can't afford to develop a 4 rotor just for one car. But the Ford V6 is readily available and it's still competitive against the G35 and IS350. If Mazda were to make this car, that's the logical choice for them.

isn't a 4-rotor just 4 single-rotors botled together? what development costs go into that?

isn't a 4-rotor just 4 single-rotors botled together? what development costs go into that?

I'm not sure. That's what they did to make the old 4 rotor, but with the Renisis's side port design can they still do that?

They should build it and then name it "Jumping Panther" :p

It isn't quite that simple. With more than 2 rotors, you tend to get some pretty hefty loads on the eccentric shaft. With the 20b, this caused them to engineer a new intermediate housing between rotors 2 and 3 that contained an extra bearing:

img021.jpg

That said, it is probably significantly cheaper than taking a V8's architecture and making it a V10 or V12.

I need that car in my life.