Petraeus: Koran burning plan will endanger US troops

I'll celebrate his right to burn the Koran by burning a Bible.
Agreed. Unfortunately there is rarely any measured reciprocity in response to this sort of thing. Just like the cartoons of Muhammad.

Because Christians would react differently to organized Bible burnings in an islamic state? :-D
I seriously doubt you're going to see a mob of church ladies burning, say, Afghanistan's flag and effigies of Muslim leaders while chanting "GOD IS GREAT" and "DEATH TO AFGHANISTAN, DEATH TO ISLAM". :lol:

Would people be upset? Sure. No doubt. But we're used to that kind of thing here.

Because Christians would react differently to organized Bible burnings in an islamic state? :-D[...]
At the End of the day, it?s only one Idiot who wants to deliberately enrage muslims. He?s a troll. This is not "organized". This does not represent a mayority (even though the Mosque-News from New York in the last Month do point to a rather loud anti-islamic and religiously intolerat movement in the US). Any Book burning is stupid and wrong. It has never done anything else but harm ... but untill reaches a level like the book burnings on 10.5.1933 ... please ignore the crap. Let the Asshat burn the book. Let the 1000 idiots that follow him do it too. Don?t make a fuss about it. It?s what he wants ...

successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and btw, I think this is a very good strip!
It's a good cartoon strip... if you're an idiot.

Even cursory Google searches will turn up Islamic denouncements of pretty much all of the above events. If you really think followers of Islam were indifferent after things like 9/11 and the London train bombings, I cordially invite you to get your head out of your ass.

Just wait until someone sees this video then. Jump to 1:47.

Well, if someone buys a book and decides to burn it, thats their choice.
Why does all these islamists get upset, its not like he stole their personal book!

reminds me of something that david mitchell said about flag burning.
[video=youtube;W-IrzJqfTQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-IrzJqfTQA[/video]

personally the media should have kept out of this and given him no coverage. all it does is fuel his pathetic message of hate. if anything, someone should have laughed in his face and said "you plan to burn your own books? who came up with that incredible plan, Baldrick?"

Well, I dont like christians either, but I dont think they would react anywhere close to the way islamists react.

Interestingly, the political and religious right never was that big on freedom of speech when it comes to religion. Blasphemy has been, and is, a big issue for large chunks of that group. Back in 1980, Life of Brian was finally made legal to show on Norwegian cinemas. It had been deemed blasphemic, and banned from showing.

Up until recently, these groups would never dream of actively supporting legalisation of blasphemy. Until they understood that blasphemy laws didn't just defend their religion. It also defended Islam. And they couldn't live with that.

Personally, I think it's stupid to legislate what you can say, but I think it's a wonderful example of double standards.

Right. This isn't really a question of what's legal. No one disputes that this is, in principle, legal. But is it right? Standing outside the funerals of dead servicemen and women with signs saying "Thank God for dead soldiers" is legal, but is it right? That's what's up for discussion. I don't think it's right. I think it's a bad idea. But it's still legal.

In much the same way, I think it's wrong to burn a book that means so much to millions of people. I wouldn't dream of doing it to a Bible or a Koran myself, ever. It's just not polite, it's bad form. But I'll still defend their right to do it. I'll defend their right to burn anything, as long as it's done safely. I may not like what they're doing, or what they're saying, but the point of freedom of speech is to make sure people can voice unpopular (even VERY unpopular) opinions and views. What the fuck are we doing with freedom of speech if it's only applied to the views we agree with?

Anyhow. There's a difference between the rules of men, and the laws of God. And I'm saying that as a devote atheist. It's legal, but it's not right.

They're just doing it to get a reaction, and for all intents and purposes, that is just trolling.
It's not like they're "stopping islam" by destroying their "weapons of indoctrination" (the quran), cos the company that prints them can make and print Qurans faster than anyone can burn them, and by buying them to burn them, you're just giving them your money, which in turn is used to print more.
I am not of any religious creed but if I were, I don't think I'd get offended by someone burning a book. I'd ignore it, take the high road, and let themselves look like fools. If you get angry and start asking for their heads on a stick, you just fell for their trap

It's a good cartoon strip... if you're an idiot.

Even cursory Google searches will turn up Islamic denouncements of pretty much all of the above events. If you really think followers of Islam were indifferent after things like 9/11 and the London train bombings, I cordially invite you to get your head out of your ass.

You do get the point about cartoon strips right?

People saying "but Muslims are going to over-react" misses a critical point, something that wasn't at play with, say, the Danish cartoons of Muhammad. Right now, we're at war in Afghanstan. The Afghan people are hearing in one ear (from the Taliban and al-Qaeda) that we're at war with Islam as a whole, and hearing in the other ear (from US servicepeople) that we're just at war with al-Qaeda, not Islam. Qur'an burnings like this are going to convince quite a few Afghans that the Taliban explanation of US motivations is correct, and is going to drive more people to join the wrong side of that war. Basically, this Florida church is providing valuable propaganda to the enemy in a war we're currently fighting.

Basically, this Florida church is providing valuable propaganda to the enemy in a war we're currently fighting.

Exactly. Don't tell that to that pea-brained Neanderthal mouth-breather that calls himself a priest, though, he couldn't possibly comprehend such a valuable point. I hope somebody sets him on fire.

I bet he voted McCain-Palin, too. :p

Heh...

Pastor-Terry-Jones.gif

1337234-yosemite_super.jpg

One of the things that are worst if you try to discuss Islam with these people, though, is that they know a lot more than you about Islam. Or, perhaps I should elaborate: They've read a lot more about Islam than you. It's rarely right, never in context and always misinterpreted. But they can throw out quotes (long ones, to make sure you get tired), explain what's meant and so on.

It's like talking about capitalism with a communist. They know a shitload about capitalism. It's just all wrong.

I'll celebrate his right to burn the Koran by burning a Bible.

Good idea- for every Koran they burn at this thing we'll all burn a Bible (and I'm a freaking baptised Catholic!!!)

And he wants to commemorate a terrorist attack and condemn the releigion it is (rather unfairly) attributed to by inciting anger within the majority of that religion (along with harted and violence within the minority)????

If any of your Americans ever need shelter from the horror that one of these idiots may ventually bring down on your country with their sheer stupidity and tunnel vision, you have my help. I sincerely hope you don't need it, but I fear one day you will :(

One general point - book burning is not usually a good idea. Remember who the most famous book burners were:

book_burning33.jpg

i can't remember where i heard it but the phrase "he who burns books, burns his future" or something like that comes to mind.

Obligatory:

farenheit451_sm.jpg

One of the things that are worst if you try to discuss Islam with these people, though, is that they know a lot more than you about Islam. Or, perhaps I should elaborate: They've read a lot more about Islam than you. It's rarely right, never in context and always misinterpreted. But they can throw out quotes (long ones, to make sure you get tired), explain what's meant and so on.

It's like talking about capitalism with a communist. They know a shitload about capitalism. It's just all wrong.

Actually in this case, Mr. Jones obviously knows hardly anything about Islam. He believes it's a work of Satan and has even written a book on his own about it, despite not having any knowledge:

image-128352-galleryV9-ijeq.jpg

The man thinks that the USA can still be saved, while Europe is lost -- after he's been kicked out of a church community in Cologne last year, when they had enough of his fundamentalist lunacy.

It's an interesting story, I'm looking for an English translation right now.

Last edited: