Car Insurance Query

Piggy-pack

Car(s)
fiat grande punto 1.2 2007
Hi,

I have a Fiat Punto 1.2 2007 and am twenty years old in a weeks time (Which is when my insurance is up for renewal)

My current policy is ?1100 and I have been able to find a new one for ?750 which I was very happy about

I rung up the insurer and asked if they allow my driving other cars 3rd party (Because this is a comprehensive policy) and they said no

I then rung up the next four cheapest and all said no you have to be 25

The problem I have is I also drive my mums and dads cars and have done so for the last two and a half years on the policy that i'm currently on, (Which allowed me to drive them third party with my comprehensive policy) so am wondering why all these other insurance companies are saying no

Many Thanks

The problem I have is I also drive my mums and dads cars and have done so for the last two and a half years on the policy that i'm currently on, (Which allowed me to drive them third party with my comprehensive policy) so am wondering why all these other insurance companies are saying no
Why do you think your current policy is 1100 Pounds and the others are cheaper? ;) Different companies, different features. Maybe the company where you have your insurance now offers other policies which do not allow you to drive other cars.

Btw.: it would be good to know from where you are since car insurance is very different in different countries. In Germany it's the other way round: if you insure a car you can state if other drivers over/under 25 will be driving it, and according to that you get the quote, not the way you are describing it (you insure a car and are allowed or not allowed to drive other cars on that insurance).

He is paying in ?, that is quite a location hint :tease:

That does give it away somewhat, unless he's in Gibraltar.

I can only echo what Eye-Q said though, not all companies are the same. I have classic insurance (3rd party F&T, ?550) with my company but others wouldn't even insure me at my age. It looks like you've got the best deal already.

Out of interest, does your policy allow you to drive any car 3rd party or just selected ones?

Oh, and :welcome:

I wish people would learn the ISO currency codes - it's not that hard GBP, USD, AUD and EUR get you a long way anyway.

Right, one companies Comprehensive is different to anothers's obviously. What they have is common is liability cover, damage cover for the other parties cars if in the wrong and cover for your own car - be warned your idea of your car's worth is not the insurers. You can get a separate Gap insurance which essentially gives you new for old replacement usually.

Now the vexed question of age, until you are 25 you will need to search out a subset of policies that will offer you 3rd party cover on any (Or possibly nominated cars - never heard of it but it may happen) driven by you with the authority of the owner/registered keeper.

Once you are 25 generally most if not all will offer this facility.

You could get named driver on you mum and dad's policies and it may be a policy extension that is way cheaper than the 350GBP (or what ever you can get it down to) extra you are spending upon the better policy - but your parents may not allow it.

You could try a Broker, I used to use Bennetts myself and they did get me some good deals before I worked for an Insurance Company.

Last edited:
Third Party
??
To be honest, I?m not exactly sure what that means either, but it is ?insurance speak?.

It goes something like this:
The first party insured is you on your car.
The second party insured is the person who you have had a collision with, also insured.
The third party is another person involved with the collision, not otherwise covered by any other insurance. Like a cyclist or a pedestrian.

Hence, with ?third party? insurance, your insurance company will cover all costs of the person you had a collision with (second party), plus the cyclist / pedestrian (third party).

Any damage to your car in NOT covered.

It is the cheapest form of insurance.
Fully comprehensive insurance, where damage to you own car is also covered, is normally not given to anyone under 25. Though this varies with postcode, price and vehicle, etc
:)

Last edited:
My English may crap out on me here, but as far as I know everyone else is "third party". Basically, third party insurance covers what you do to others but not what you do to yourself or your car.

^ Yeah - third party insurance will not pay anything to cover damage to your car or you. It is simply liability insurance for what you have done to others.

The three levels of insurance you can get in the UK are Third Party; Third Party, Fire and Theft and Comprehensive. I think we can guess what you get with the middle one. :p

I was also under the impression that Comprehensive automatically covers you third party on any other car, and the insurance company couldn't refuse that. Strange.

Last edited:
Over here you can get the fire and theft ("Teilkasko") or the comprehensive part ("Vollkasko", includes Teilkasko) on top, even by different companies - our comprehensive does not necessarily include liability. You still are required to have liability insurance of course, at least 8.55 million ? coverage by law.

My English may crap out on me here, but as far as I know everyone else is "third party". Basically, third party insurance covers what you do to others but not what you do to yourself or your car.
Correct, I didn't want to make it sound even more complicated.
:)

Third party excludes you driving a car that is not on the Policy - so "Fully Comp" policy means I can drive legally and with the equivalence of third party cover (Legal Minimum) any car with the registered keepers consent - that is the difference. The cover we are discussing with Third Party cover is only related to the car you have on the policy. There used to be an any car fully comp policy type where fully comp cover was offered for all cars of a driver - in essence the driver was rated not the car. My brother had such a policy but that was in the early 1970s I am almost certain it is not offered now.

As far as I am aware it is not legal to limit the payout on car covers but they do have deductibles both enforced by the Insurance company and you as the insured can choose to increase it (Voluntary) and get a reduction in premium, if you contract to pay the first <N> GBPs of any claim..

A lot of the UK law has come about as a result of the Fire Auto and Marine debacle of the 1960s and the determination of the government never to face such a situation again - look it up if interested.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure any serious accident would quicky go over your maximum payout on the insurance, leaving you crippled financially for the rest of your life.

Go America!

Anything for $700 a year with $100k+ coverage. Go USAA. :p

Third party
??

Ross_Perot.jpg

:p

Yeah... 234? a year with 100M? coverage. Go Europe :p

The battle is on now. O.K. here is how we will decide things. We both crash head on with one another and see who pays more. :p

327GBP on my Pug, no liability limit, 150GBP deductible - go UK.

EDIT/ see who pays anything? Do not forget your Green Card.

Over here, you are required to have third party insurance (hence it being known as CTP, or "Complusory Third Party"/a green slip). Like others have said, it only covers damage done to other cars in accidents caused by you. Ful comprehensive is everything, including injuries in an accident caused by you. Cool other thing some policies have is that you can pay a bit extra to avoid having your premiums go up if you claim ince a year or less (also get this if you have been with the comapny claim-free for a certain amount of time- my car has "Diamond" level cover due to 8 years claim free and gets this). Don't know about your personal comprehensive insurance allowing you to drive other cars (with permission) though- I can drive my sister's car with permission, yet it was iffy as to whether or not I would be insured driving our old Subaru (hence I wasn't allowed near it once i got my P's), even though all 3 of our cars were covered by comprehensive insurance. So I'm not sure what the rules are over here.

And prices, yeah, you get kicked in the guts there- for my 16 year old, 1.3L Suzuki Swift, I get slogged $530 for CTP and nearly $900 for Comprehensive!!!!!

Back in the day, you used to insure THE CAR. And it didn?t matter who drove it, the car and whatever happend with or through it was covered ... this personalization on specific drivers is just stupid. Nobody at the insurance company gave a shit if my 18 year old self drove my parents car or not. The car was covered, even if I let one of my friends drive it home when I was too drunk to.

I hate ensurance companies. At some point they decide collectively to make more money out of you, and there is nothing you can do about it.