The Android thread

Eventually all apps should get it, but that trick looks useful if you're getting the out of space message a lot. Just remember that an sd card isn't as fast at I/O as the internal flash memory. I suppose the OS attempts to diminish that by only copying actual data to the sd card, not the app code. I do wonder why this isn't enabled by default, but only for apps that have the code for it...

I do wonder why this isn't enabled by default, but only for apps that have the code for it...

Basically, there are things that can make problems when an app is installed externally. Specifically, the SD card is removable, but apps can have persistent services, alarms or widgets running - which would break, if the application is no longer available, when the card is unmounted. Such situations can be accounted for by the developer, and having done that, he can also enable the app to be installed externally. For more details refer to http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/install-location.html

Eventually all apps should get it, but that trick looks useful if you're getting the out of space message a lot. Just remember that an sd card isn't as fast at I/O as the internal flash memory. I suppose the OS attempts to diminish that by only copying actual data to the sd card, not the app code. I do wonder why this isn't enabled by default, but only for apps that have the code for it...

I only have a few apps atm, so space isn't a big issue right now. I got a 16GB card with the phone, so I would like to make use of it first though.

Really, I don't know how one is supposed to run out of internal space, except maybe with a ton of games that bring large graphics stuff with them. I don't have many apps installed, but with the settings saying "Available internal memory: 230 MB" on my (pretty much low-end nowadays) HTC Magic, and your common app weighing in at somewhere around 1 MB or below, I'm not running out of space any time soon...

I've got 40 mb free. OfficeSuite: 10.6MB, Nimbuzz: 8MB, Adobe Flash 10.1: 7MB, HTC_IME mod: 5.5MB, Radiant: 5.4MB, Drop7: 4.5MB, RockPlayer: 4MB, Google Maps: 3.9MB, Astro File Manager: 3.6MB, DoubleTwist: 3MB, etc...

That's on top of Sense, which is quite a hog on its own.

Really, I don't know how one is supposed to run out of internal space, except maybe with a ton of games that bring large graphics stuff with them. I don't have many apps installed, but with the settings saying "Available internal memory: 230 MB" on my (pretty much low-end nowadays) HTC Magic, and your common app weighing in at somewhere around 1 MB or below, I'm not running out of space any time soon...

I only have 115mb free.

...the .apk of my own app is 118kb in size, and I'm already thinking how I could shrink it down :)

What does your app do?

I was looking for a tone matrix type thing for Android, didn't find any and have been thinking of making my own ever since. Of course, my knowledge of programming and building programs in limited to the C++ I learned in grade 9. Hello world, indeed.

I'm waiting anxciously for app inventor. I have many apps lined up, including a PhyreFile one.

What does your app do?

I was looking for a tone matrix type thing for Android, didn't find any and have been thinking of making my own ever since. Of course, my knowledge of programming and building programs in limited to the C++ I learned in grade 9. Hello world, indeed.

It's an "internet quotes" reader, for fast access to stuff like bash.org in three languages. A new version coming soon, with offline caching support :) http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/biz.olex.android.quoter/

Programming for Android really isn't that difficult. It's basically all in Java, quite well documented (http://developer.android.com) with a lot of tutorials available on the official site as well as across the internet, and only requires free tools (probably the best setup is Eclipse with the official Android plugin, which does a lot of stuff for you - available on all platforms, as well). As long as you are somewhat familiar with object-oriented programming (and with C++, you should be), it should be no big deal.

I'm waiting anxciously for app inventor. I have many apps lined up, including a PhyreFile one.

You didn't get into the beta? It opened last week I thought.

As long as you are somewhat familiar with object-oriented programming (and with C++, you should be), it should be no big deal.

That's the thing, I'm not even somewhat familiar. It was back in grade 9 so we really did learn only the most basic stuff, and I've forgotten it all. :p

The App Inventor is really the only thing that even put the thought of making an app in my head.

Last edited:
Eh??? You still have to submit a form. I've done so for 2 email address already and still nothing.

Oh I see, I thought you meant it was like when Gmail or Wave had invites.

I guess they look for relevant occupations, what did you put?

The truth. Although looking back I think I should have lied and put teacher. :p

I've got 40 mb free. OfficeSuite: 10.6MB, Nimbuzz: 8MB, Adobe Flash 10.1: 7MB, HTC_IME mod: 5.5MB, Radiant: 5.4MB, Drop7: 4.5MB, RockPlayer: 4MB, Google Maps: 3.9MB, Astro File Manager: 3.6MB, DoubleTwist: 3MB, etc...

That's on top of Sense, which is quite a hog on its own.

I have quite a few applications installed, including OfficeSuite, a bunch of games, Astro, Facebook, Kindle, LauncherPro, GMaps, and twitter, and I still have...1.65gb application storage....

Does the Vibrant just come with a shit-ton of the 16GB internal formatted for app storage? o_O