Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

There is a few Jaguar V12 engines for sale here in Sweden. 80% are fire-damaged and fuel injected. What is causing this toastyness?

Lucas?

Nope. They used Magneti Marelli EFI for the V12 XJS. When Lucas stuff fails it stops working. When MM stuff fails things burst into flames.

I recomend taking Hwy 101. It might take you a day or so longer, but it's a much niver drive and there are lost of cool little town you pass though. Seatle to LA Via the 101 is on my list of trips... I've only ever done Seatle to Coose Bay (south Oregon)

A friend also told us that this was a pretty nice road as well! Sadly, as much as I'd want to do it, we had to make some choices in such a packed schedule.
We decided to rush through Washington / Oregon for the beginning of the trip since both of us already have been there. Then at the end, if we have a spare day, we'll stop in Portland for the night and finish on Hwy 101.

There is a few Jaguar V12 engines for sale here in Sweden. 80% are fire-damaged and fuel injected. What is causing this toastyness?

Earlier V12s with fuel injection go on fire because people forget to replace the fuel injection hoses every 5 years, which eventually crack and spray fuel if not replaced. Later V12s go on fire because of that and because the Magnetti Marelli ignition system will sporadically quit on one of the cylinder banks, sending raw unburnt fuel into the exhaust and starting a fire in the catalytic converter.

This also offers concrete proof that Spaghetti Macaroni electronics are worse than Lucas - the Marelli ignition replaced a Lucas one that had no such problems.

There is something seriously wrong with my car. The gas is going down so fast I can watch the needle move :cry:

A friend also told us that this was a pretty nice road as well! Sadly, as much as I'd want to do it, we had to make some choices in such a packed schedule.
We decided to rush through Washington / Oregon for the beginning of the trip since both of us already have been there. Then at the end, if we have a spare day, we'll stop in Portland for the night and finish on Hwy 101.

Sounds good, Have fun.

IMO Oregon is a truely beautiful state though, totally under rated, probably because it borders tourist-trap-ifornia

There is something seriously wrong with my car. The gas is going down so fast I can watch the needle move :cry:

Check your mirror for someone siphoning your tank.

On a more random note: Why do I find this particular French hatchback so damn appealing? I probably can't even fit in it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/09/10/1980_renault_5_turbo_1_02_m.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/09/10/1980_renault_5_turbo_1_01_m.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/09/10/1980_renault_5_turbo_1_03_m.jpg

I was blown away when I went through Oregon with a friend earlier this year, I wasn't expecting to enjoy as much as I did!

On a more random note: Why do I find this particular French hatchback so damn appealing? I probably can't even fit in it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/09/10/1980_renault_5_turbo_1_02_m.jpg

Probably because they are awesome, RWD and did I mention they are awesome.

I was blown away when I went through Oregon with a friend earlier this year, I wasn't expecting to enjoy as much as I did!

The first time i went I was quite surprised too. I have gone back many times and plan to go back many more.

Am I the only one who thinks his route looks like a penis?

Perhaps a very haggered flacid one. But I'd rather not picture that.

Earlier V12s with fuel injection go on fire because people forget to replace the fuel injection hoses every 5 years, which eventually crack and spray fuel if not replaced. Later V12s go on fire because of that and because the Magnetti Marelli ignition system will sporadically quit on one of the cylinder banks, sending raw unburnt fuel into the exhaust and starting a fire in the catalytic converter.

This also offers concrete proof that Spaghetti Macaroni electronics are worse than Lucas - the Marelli ignition replaced a Lucas one that had no such problems.

So fiddling with a Fiat Twincam engine that only have Magneti Marelli ignition makes me pretty much fooked?

As best I can tell, yes. brydie76 just had her 4 year old Italian scooter's Marelli electronics s**t the bed.

It boils down to this for the XJS V12s:

Lucas ignition: May occasionally die, but if you perform maintenance as specified a fire is highly improbable.
Marelli ignition: Even if you perform maintenance as specified, a fire is very likely. Dies more often than Lucas ignition, too. Hope you're wearing Nomex underwear.

As they changed pretty much nothing else about the cars other than the ignition, pretty much we have concrete proof that while Lucas = fail, Marelli = fail + fire and that Lucas > Marelli.

Marelli inside? Run and hide!

Last edited: