Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Nope, but now we're getting well out of the automotive scope. PM me and I'll send you the relevant links.

It's okay, don't worry about it then.

I'm sure if it's an actual issue I'll find out about it myself.

How about considering the Genesis Coupe? You can get a fully-loaded V6 model for around $30k and it will look better, be more reliable, be much faster, and be better to drive than a GTI because it's RWD. :)

How about considering the Genesis Coupe? You can get a fully-loaded V6 model for around $30k and it will look better, be more reliable, be much faster, and be better to drive than a GTI because it's RWD. :)

:lmao:

I'm hoping that's a Posmo joke of some sort.

i'll think i'll post this here too.

So saturday (9/11/2010) i went to "Xtreme Tuning & Custom Car Show + Electric Motor Show" in Helsinki Exhibition & Convention Centre, and spend there about 5 hours.
I paid 9 euros for the ticket (studen pricing) instead of 20 euros.

So i had my crappy camera with me (and it run out of power with 2 set of batteries and also run out of space in the sc-card), and i took pics:
1st set of pic's with my hp photosmart 935
2nd set of pic's with Nokia 5800 Xm

There was lots of cars, lots of bass and 2 times someone got the "good idea to turn on mustang that was converted to run quater mile runs", here's the vid of the thing running and after some time just to throttle up

ps. I apologize for the really bad quality of my 8year old equipment.

Man, I can't believe I forgot to mention FWD as another negative on the GTI. It's definitely a concern, along with the boy racer image and smallish size I mentioned before.

I try and stay indifferent when it comes to things like manual vs. auto or NA vs. forced induction but RWD cars are just better to drive and I can see that. When I got the IS, as slow as it is, I really noticed and enjoyed the RWD feeling over what I got from the FWD RSX I had before.

So I would like a RWD again, I really would. But I dunno, I think I might be just a bit too snobby for a Hyundai. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking at VW because I think "ZOMG German engineered perfection" but I guess the same reason that makes me not want a Ford is making me not want a Hyundai. I guess I am slightly image conscious then...

Too bad VW don't sell the R in North America. I was hoping maybe at least the Yanks would get it, but upon doing some research it seems like other than cheaper prices their car buying experience is as shit as in Canada.

Edit: It appears it will actually go on sale in North America, but at some point in the future.

Last edited:
I do like the 1-Series... but it will be my only car.

Doesn't it seem too small for a daily driver/only car?

Son of a bitch! I went outside for 15 minutes to wash the car, and I got at least 10 mosquito bites in the meantime!!!

I also tried to fix a tiny scratch on my car...and I made it worse :(

Man, I can't believe I forgot to mention FWD as another negative on the GTI. It's definitely a concern, along with the boy racer image and smallish size I mentioned before.

I try and stay indifferent when it comes to things like manual vs. auto or NA vs. forced induction but RWD cars are just better to drive and I can see that. When I got the IS, as slow as it is, I really noticed and enjoyed the RWD feeling over what I got from the FWD RSX I had before.

So I would like a RWD again, I really would. But I dunno, I think I might be just a bit too snobby for a Hyundai. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking at VW because I think "ZOMG German engineered perfection" but I guess the same reason that makes me not want a Ford is making me not want a Hyundai. I guess I am slightly image conscious then...

Too bad VW don't sell the R in North America. I was hoping maybe at least the Yanks would get it, but upon doing some research it seems like other than cheaper prices their car buying experience is as shit as in Canada.

Edit: It appears it will actually go on sale in North America, but at some point in the future.

You can always get the "Genesis" badge instead of the Hyundai badge, maybe that will make you think that others think you're not driving a Hyundai. ;)

20090409010359cont6.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that if you want something sporty with RWD for around $30k - $35k, your only choices are the Genesis Coupe, the Mustang, the V6 Camaro, the V6 Challenger (not really sporty, but looks sporty) and if you wanna pay a bit more, the BMW 128i.

If it were my choice, I would go for the V6 Mustang ("pony package" $25k) because it's cheaper than the V6 Genesis (starts at $33k). Since you're moving to California or Texas; you can even get the convertible Mustang V6 pony package for only $29k; that's a fully loaded V6 convertible Mustang and it's $4k cheaper than the basic V6 Genesis coupe.

I can understand your worries of what people will think of you when you say "I drive a Hyundai", but everyone will think your cool if you say "I drive a Mustang". ;)

If you do go for the Mustang, sure it won't be as luxurious as your current Lexus, but it will be faster,more fun to drive and still be quite comfortable.

Last edited:
I do like the 1-Series... but it will be my only car.

Doesn't it seem too small for a daily driver/only car?

:bmwpoo:

:p I don't know about the 1-Series. The whole RWD thing is a gimmick with that car. When TopGear put it up against the VW GTi, it was quite obvious how much BMW compromised the 1-series just to give it RWD. You're better off with a second hand 3-series. I know you said you wanted to buy new, but there aren't many options for a decent RWD car in that price range. Second hand luxury cars in that class are pretty good value, considering the original MSRPs. A CPO 3 or 5 series would be nice. Maybe a CPO Cadillac CTS? Those GM dealerships would probably pay you to take one away. :lol:

Good points. Another issue with the 1-Series is the price creeps rather close to a 3-Series, I could probably swing the upgrade if I were looking at BMWs.

I'm not totally averse to buying second hand as I said, it's just not my preference. If i were in Canada second hand cars would be a more attractive option, but I don't want to move down there and then go about looking at used cars. With a new car you walk into a dealership, pick whatever you want and walk out... but then again, you get ripped off like it's nobody business buying straight from the factory.

Oh well, I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll put my money where my mouf is and just buy whatever I want and fits me needs.

Edit: I don't remember the TG review, in what ways have BMW compromised to make the 1-Series RWD?

Last edited:
Good points. Another issue with the 1-Series is the price creeps rather close to a 3-Series, I could probably swing the upgrade if I were looking at BMWs.

I'm not totally averse to buying second hand as I said, it's just not my preference. If i were in Canada second hand cars would be a more attractive option, but I don't want to move down there and then go about looking at used cars. With a new car you walk into a dealership, pick whatever you want and walk out... but then again, you get ripped off like it's nobody business buying straight from the factory.

Oh well, I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll put my money where my mouf is and just buy whatever I want and fits me needs.

Edit: I don't remember the TG review, in what ways have BMW compromised to make the 1-Series RWD?

Well, you won't know until you get out there and start looking. If you're looking for something very specific, like a bright green car with orange interior, then you may have a very good point about buying new. But if you're looking for a black/silver/gray/white luxury car, then I believe you will have quite a selection of CPO's to choose from. I also think if you went and test drove a new 1-series and then test drove a CPO 5-series, and both were the same price... well, your desire for a brand new ride would have to be extremely strong to drive away in the 1-series.

Edit: The 1-series is suppose to be a practical family hatch, but it's just too cramped and no where near as practical. It's fun to drive, sure, but so is the GTI and other FWD options. And it was the R32 they compared it to, my mistake.

[video=youtube;EXY6fNA-cI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXY6fNA-cI8[/video]

Last edited:
since this thread is already derailed and you don't want to listen to Spectre despite being royally screwed by cali. Perhaps I can help with my own view of L.A

I can't stand that bloody city, all the nice parts of it are for tourists and tourists only. If you actually want to live there either be very rich ao youu can move to a nice place in town or regret it when all your stuff gets stolen.

Want to go somewhere? Better set off early, thebstreets would be perpetually gridlocked. Obnoxious douchebags roam everywhere. If they are not douchebags, theya are latino gangsta illegal onmigrants which may or may not try to murder you, the smog chokes you and the quality of life is worse than on other major U.S cities.

When I got to choose what city i would like to live on the U.S I never even looked at L.A or cali in general, if you want to relive your fond memories of the place, why not a roadtrip?

Personally I would choose Dallas to live, but you can blame Spectre for that. I canKt tell you what to do and all of this is merely from an opinion statement.

Damn i hate writing long posts on a smartphone

I did not ask for opinions on where I would like to live, don't effing blame me for thread derailment.

I asked for opinions on the MkVI GTI and other similarly-priced cars. If Spectre wants to spew his California hate it's not my problem, if at 17 years old and barely knowing anything about me and my circumstances you feel like giving me life tips that is again not my problem.

Edit: It is so, so hilarious that you people are trying to dissuade me by mentioning such obvious facts about LA. Heavy traffic? Lots of gangs? I have been to LA dozens of times and yet, you don't need to have been there even once to know about these common complaints about LA. If you had read my posts instead of jumping to conclusions, you would have learned the only reason I'm moving there for a while is to be with family. That is it.

I know even less people in Dallas than I do in Vancouver... shall I move there and start hanging out with you and Spectre? Vancouver is consistently ranked as one of the world's most livable cities. If I was looking for low crime or relatively low traffic I wouldn't move an inch.

Last edited:
The 1er that we get is the coupe, which is impractical. Even the 5 door hatch is still rather cramped and seriously hindered in size.

The E90 335i's are rather boring if you ask me, good- but boring. There are, however, plenty around at very reasonable prices and the aftermarket is very healthy. If you go M5, go for the E39. Yes, they're older, but they're still cheaper than E60s to buy and maintain.

Thanks. I might start to check out some CPOs from here and line some up to view when I get down there.

I appreciate the info guys, but I think I'll have to set aside the car thing for a little bit while I recover from the doubts these guys put in my head. :p I'll let you know once I've thought about what I want to buy a bit more.

I grew up in Southern California. It's not bad, once you get use to it. Like anywhere else, there are good things and bad things. Only in CA there are really good things and really bad things. I personally have no real desire to move back there, since I'm not really a social kind of guy and most of the great things about Southern California have to do with social events. Of course, I moved away before I was old enough to work, pay bills, or drive, so I'm probably not that qualified to speak. :p If I ever won the lottery or got hit by a drunk Bill Gates, I would move back somewhere close to the beach, but that's assuming I didn't have to work and commute everyday. :p

I did not ask for opinions on where I would like to live, don't effing blame me for thread derailment.

Never did. I was just mentioning the derailment, the smartphone I was using didn't showed me the las page and I had a reading comprehension fail

I asked for opinions on the MkVI GTI and other similarly-priced cars. If Spectre wants to spew his California hate it's not my problem, if at 17 years old and barely knowing anything about me and my circumstances you feel like giving me life tips that is again not my problem.

I didn't. I was merely stating my opinion about L.A. A man can do with his life whatever the hell he wants with it and neither me, Spectre or anyone can tell you what to do with it. Also, when family is thrown into the equation the crap you could ever possibly give about my post is thrown away

I know even less people in Dallas than I do in Vancouver... shall I move there and start hanging out with you and Spectre? Vancouver is consistently ranked as one of the world's most livable cities. If I was looking for low crime or relatively low traffic I wouldn't move an inch.

That may be an issue since i live 2288km from Dallas, I would however love to hang out with you someday.

Lastly I'd like to apologize for any anger or any bad feeling my previous post may have caused you. It was never my intention to do so.

As for your car troubles, it seems you're pretty sold on an excellent car, the GTI is perhaps the most fun you can get this side of a Mini. And the Mk VI is nothing but an improvement on the already excellent Mk. V

Hmm, I've never thought about a Mini.

*goes to check out mini.com*

Edit: Nah, way too quirky for me. I couldn't live with the form over function interior.

Last edited:
gaasc have even been to L.A.?

Anyhow, even though it gets God awful fuel economy, isn't that fast, and eats babies, but I'd look at an RX8.