The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Well, the Brits love curry, and that's just spiced rice with random stuff thrown in.

Shopping for insurance, I realize exactly why helmet laws are a good thing. Payin' for squids is essentially what I'm doing.

Shopping for insurance, I realize exactly why helmet laws are a good thing. Payin' for squids is essentially what I'm doing.

Statistically, you're paying for helmetless midlife crisis Harley owners.

And ten bucks says they wont wave back even when I'm paying for their lack of common sense. Pfft, fags.

[EDIT] Come to think of it they owe me ten bucks, for their "freedom" to a massive head injury.

Last edited:
Getting my new helmet (well, going to buy, technically won't get it until next Friday) sometime this week, ended up going Shoei as no other breand felt 100% right (some brands like Shark and AGV were just downright painful!). The guy at the shop tried to sell me an Arai (as they are being really heavily discounted at the moment in Australia as they are just not popular over here- Shoei outsells them 5 to 1!), but the small made the top of my head feel like it was being compressed in a vice and the medium was waaay too loose around my cheeks. Putting on the Shoei just felt like wrapping my head with a pillow- it was awesome. So, don't laugh, but this is the design i am getting-

807_image.jpg

It's girly, yes, but it's also very bright and visible, which I think I need given the rest of my gear and my scooter are all dark grey/black. That and i do have to admit to a very girly side, which this appeals to. Getting a deal on it from the main motorbike store nearby- $650 AUD for a display stock one, and they will replace the cheeck pads and that for me so it's "as new". Buying a boxed one would set me back $740 AUD, and I'd much rather get a shelf one and put the $90 difference towards some good summer gloves.

I did try on an XR-1100, and I did like it, but I honestly don't need it for the amount of riding I do. That and they are way too expensive IMO- I'd be looking at about $900 for the one I want!

To make up for the girly helmet, here's a pic of the X-Lite I actually really wanted. Only problem is that nobody sells X-Lites in my area, except crappy Stoner replica ones. They do sell Nolans- including that version of the MotoGP replica- but they just feel cheap and don't fit as well.

X-802_10_1_600_.jpg

Hey, better you buy that than me. :)

Heh, true! :p

To be brutally honest, i would absolutely adore an XR-1100, but I'm conflicted on them. For starters, they do feel different to the TZ-Rs (but not in a good way, if anything it is a bit tighter around my head than is comfortable for me), I'm worried about wind noise (my dad's 1000 is noisy to the point of him waering earplugs with it all the time now) and I just can't justify the cost when the TZ-R's are basically the same helmet sans some vents!

Which brings me to the big question- how is the venting with the TZ-R's? I am a bit worried now I think about it with the venting, as it is a pretty hot climate over here, and I don't want to be getting off the bike with my head (and hair) all gross and sweaty. My Nitro is good (too good actually, the damn vents don't close anymore!) with venting, so I'm used to decent ventilation. Worried that the lack of a rear vent may be an issue (if it is, I'll look into an 1100/an X-lite, as htey were the next best fitting brand for me)

And in my search read that people are thinking that they may be getting phased out- given that the Shoei website is only selling XS's in my style and hasn't re-stocked for ages, I'd say that there is a new version/type coming out soon. But that doesn't worry me :)

The Arai didn't have replaceable cheek pads of different thicknesses?

Problem was that the medium Arai was loose to the point than when I got my dad to hit the side of it fairly frmly (at the salesman's encouragement) and the thing swung around and hit me in the nose! So cheek pads wouldn't fix that (even the salesman, who loved Arai to the end of the planet and back conceded that). That and the visor mechanism (the little black toggle that you have to push to the side to life your visor up) frustrates me as I can barely do it holding the thing between my knees with no gloves on).

I would love an Arai (or an X-lite or a Suomy), but given my choices and what i tried on, the Shoeis won hands down. That and my dad owns an XR-1000 and loves it to bits. Also, I'm actually thinking now that going for the XR-1100 might not be too bad an idea (I'll make up the extra that it will cost, as my parents were ok to pay for the TZR) given I've sat down and thought about it (lack of rear vents in a hot clinate when you are constantly going lower speeds seems a bit silly to me). But I'll change my mind a million times between now and Tuesday :lol:. So yeah, any reviews on the TZR's venitlation in hotter climates would still be appreciated! :)

Even though I'm not going to be there for another ten months I've already started browsing around for bikes in the UK. I couldn't help it. :p So far it looks like they're very reasonably priced which is very nice compared to the outrageous prices bikes go for here. I've found quite a few 600-750s on eBay Motors for under 2000 pounds. I'm likely going to be there for three years so I want something I'm going to be happy with for that long. The unknown factor is how much I'm going to be paying for insurance, taxes, MOTs, etc. What sorts of prices should I be expecting for those?

When you're in the UK, you MUST get yourself a Triumph. You just have to. No way around it. :p

When you're in the UK, you MUST get yourself a Triumph. You just have to. No way around it. :p

My dad approves.
tri_tig650_72_0111.jpg

*Not his actual bike, as I have no pics of it.

Save up your money and buy a new Norton!

Heh, true! :p

To be brutally honest, i would absolutely adore an XR-1100, but I'm conflicted on them. For starters, they do feel different to the TZ-Rs (but not in a good way, if anything it is a bit tighter around my head than is comfortable for me), I'm worried about wind noise (my dad's 1000 is noisy to the point of him waering earplugs with it all the time now) and I just can't justify the cost when the TZ-R's are basically the same helmet sans some vents!

Which brings me to the big question- how is the venting with the TZ-R's? I am a bit worried now I think about it with the venting, as it is a pretty hot climate over here, and I don't want to be getting off the bike with my head (and hair) all gross and sweaty. My Nitro is good (too good actually, the damn vents don't close anymore!) with venting, so I'm used to decent ventilation. Worried that the lack of a rear vent may be an issue (if it is, I'll look into an 1100/an X-lite, as htey were the next best fitting brand for me)

And in my search read that people are thinking that they may be getting phased out- given that the Shoei website is only selling XS's in my style and hasn't re-stocked for ages, I'd say that there is a new version/type coming out soon. But that doesn't worry me :)

I've not had a lot of problem with venting with the TZR - I always wear earplugs anyways, so I don't notice the wind noise. Congrats on the new purchase though! =) It's just funny how different brands fit everyone differently.

Or even the same brand! I had a Shoei that fit well and I bought a new one the same size without trying it on and they must have changed the shape because it cuts across my forehead.

That's my only worry about the XR-1100, like I said the top part of the helmet is tighter than that on the TZR, and I'm not sure whether that will worry me in the future.

And thankyou Kiki, go to pick it up on Tuesday (but of course have to wait until Friday to get it properly) :D

I has goldwing parts.

Front and rear wheels, forks and steering stem, all 3 brake calipers and a tank shelter.

Can anybody guess what the best item in the lot is?