Ariel Atom celebrates 10 years, shows off Atom 500 V8 to lucky few

^ According to the TG Mag review; not only does it work, it is extremely easy to drive.

and caparo T1, and lotus 340R, (and renault spider?)

The Caparo T1 is way too expensive, and the 340R was limited run 10 years ago. And the Spider is extremely rare. Although the 2-Eleven and X-Bow are a similar price to the non-V8 Atom. However, if I had the money, I would go straight to Ariel.

There's also the Caterham RS Levante, which has a 500+ hp 2,4-liter Supercharged V8...

9081016.010.Mini1L2.jpg

Decisions, decisions... :dunno:

Oh my... I might have to side with that Caterham.

I bet a Million Euros that this thing doesnt work! Otherwise we would have allready seen it move! :)

Why would it not work?

*facepalm*

Last edited:
Some cars have unnaturally tall second gears to achieve 60 in second for lower 0-60 times, right?

:cool:

Perhaps, but there are plenty of cars, and motorcycles for that matter, that go very fast in first gear. Most things that I've driven/ridden that were powerful and fast, went ridiculously fast in first gear. The most memorable for me was the first iteration of the Suzuki Hayabusa, which I had to 80mph in first and I shifted a little before redline.

Why would it not work?

*facepalm*

Cause maybe they're not finished with developping it, or the engine isn't finished, stuff like that. I remembered that the Atom 500 V8 was on TG news 2 years ago allready, and on Youtube or Streetfire, there isn't a single Video of it moving, no Teaser nothing.

I don't blame Ariel for that, because developping a whole new engine is very hard, takes a long time, and alot of effort, if you don't believe me, watch "Team Schrick" with subtitles, they tried to develop an 3.0l V8, in 7 or 8 month's, and failed.

I guess, it will be finished not until next year, and by then, it'll have some new tweaks.

I need this level of danger in my life.

Ariel's targets are 2.3sec and 5.4sec respectively, eclipsing the class-leading Veyron.

I didn't know that "shit you're never going to own" is a class of car now.

Last edited:
Damn a 16500rpm V8, this is the closest thing to a street legal F1 car.

A V8 that revs to 10,500rpm, 0-100 in 5.4sec, no weight, massive downforce... I cant figure out if driving this thing would be more like heaven or hell. Either way, want; and massive respect to Ariel for building a serious car (unlike the gayron that was mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

^ Yea, how dare someone make a fast and comfortable GT car.

Some little voice in the back of my head tells me TG put off their next season so that they could get this car on the show. I imagine it may actually kill Clarkson, and I think I would take the chance of that sort of danger myself to drive this.

I think I can see a future leader on the TG test track, wonder if they'll put on series 16 next year?