Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

If the far away Nikon service place still wants you to send your camera off to them for a long time you could give Precision or Computech a call (they're both on the same street in sight of each other :lol: ). They won't do you a warranty repair but they can fix anything if you would rather not use glue or wait forever for your camera to come back from nikon.

I "fixed" it with some double-sided tape for now. It looks shoddy because, as I mentioned, the rubber has expanded (ie.: defective due to poor choice in compounds) and no longer fits in its moulding.

I've had the same problem with pretty much all of my Nikons. The simple diy fix goes like this: get a small sharp knife and some glue. Carefully cut the corners of the rubber so that it once again fits in it place. Add glue. Profit.

The link to consumers DSLRs (from clicking on the picture of the lineup) is dead, hopefully meaning it's being updated in to accommodate the D7000.

Edit: First picture, believed to be real.

nikon-d7000.jpg

Announce set for midnight, presumably US time.

Last edited:
Wow... D90-level camera with almost D300-level control surfaces (note the physical drive mode selector) ...do want! :drool:

Oh, and, hey, a smaller rubber thumb grip without sharp corners that easily peel off :p

EDIT: Update on the rubber grip. Nikon won't send me a new one on warranty, but at least the parts are cheap. It's only $5.00 for the rubber grip, $0.48 for the matched double-adhesive tape and $5.00 for shipping... so I bought two of each.

Last edited:
What does that iso button do?

Apart from change the ISO? :p

That looks the same as the button on the D40 that gives you a grid view when reviewing your photos, and zooms out.

Epp_b, have you been following the rumoured specs? It's apparently going to have an alloy body too.

Er, the ISO value would be shown on the top screen yes, but the buttons aren't up there. You hold the Fn button down (out of sight), the ISO button and spin one of the dials on the right.

I'll be pre-ordering one ASAP assuming it's not too expensive. :)

Actually I could be wrong there, the labelling is a little confusing. You probably just hold that button down with the ISO label above it. I'm used to holding down my Fn button on the D40 which I have set as ISO.

On my D50 I just have to hold the ISO button and spin the dial - and its shown on the top screen. When in playback - press it once and it goes into grid views. To zoom in on a photo you press the QUAL button once, then hold the ISO and scroll to zoom. Press the QUAL once to go back to full view. No Fn button for me.

And as I've said before I'll get a D7000 when my D50 dies. Or whatever is around when the D50 does die.

However I'm not sure if I want to take it to uni (I'll have the TZ7 definitely, but do I need a DSLR?).

Epp_b, have you been following the rumoured specs? It's apparently going to have an alloy body too.
Yup, saw that.

Er, the ISO value would be shown on the top screen yes, but the buttons aren't up there. You hold the Fn button down (out of sight), the ISO button and spin one of the dials on the right.
Ignore this, it's wrong.

When you're shooting, you hold the ISO button and spin a dial to set the ISO, it's that simple. The ISO indicator shows up on the top LCD or on the rear LCD if you want to use the info screen.

The same applies to the WB (White Balance) button and Qual (Quality) button. The secondary dial also functions according to the button (ie.: WB fine-tune and Quality image size). These are double-function buttons; when you're reviewing pictures the button performs the function specified by the diagram.

If you follow the logic, the controls make a lot more sense than Canon's, which appear to have been sneezed into place by an engineer.

If you follow the logic, the controls make a lot more sense than Canon's, which appear to have been sneezed into place by an engineer.

*ahehem* stop doing that. Personal preference et cetera.

You keep thinking that. Canon's controls just carry very little logic in their placement and function combinations.

Last edited:
seriously epptroll, get over yourself

http://img828.imageshack.**/img828/3203/theodorkittelsensjtroll.jpg <- epp

You keep thinking that. Canon's controls just carry very little logic in their placement and function combinations.

He's entitled to his own opinion you know. I really don't care too much about the ergonomics because I'll get used to whatever's there, controls on the 500D for example are just as close to hand as the ones on this. Also I already mentioned my mistake earlier so there was no need to call me out like that. ;)

There was a bit of friendliness in the posts at the top of this thread, then it left and you became an arse. :roll:

I like having a camera with "interesting" ergonomics, it gives me a great sense of pleasure knowing I've avoided countless potential fuckups when something turns out OK. With that said, I'm a medical grade tool.