First Car Advice

inuzuka

Car(s)
2011 BMW 335i Coupe
Greetings fellow petrolheads, I have been lurking here for some time, but this is my first real post.

I need advice on what to get as my first car. I have been 16, and therefore had my license for awhile now, but have relied mostly on using my parents' autos (Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ 6.2 and VW Tiguan 2.0T 4motion).

Currently my family is currently shopping for a car for me. I am thinking something along the lines of used Infiniti G37 sedan or BMW 335i sedan. I has test-driven both of these cars, but honestly I didn't really get a good feel for the cars, as I was confined to basically a small loops around the respective dealerships. Can anyone with personal experience with either of these cars provide some reliability/livability information.

Also, if any have an alternative suggestion for a car, it would be much appreciated. The only other cars beside my parent's cars that I have spent a significant amount of time in are my friend's 1995 mustang gt, a couple of our farm trucks, and a 2010 audi a4 2.0t w/ quattro. I have a relatively strict budget of $30,000 USD.

Thank you for all your opinions and advice. Also a note to any mods, I wasn't quite clear on which section this type of thread was to be posted. If I have accidently placed this in the wrong forum, please move it to the correct category. Once again I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Haha, my friend's mother drives a Viper (and a CLS 55 AMG)...its scary honestly (CLS is also scary)...and sorry I should have been more clear. I am restricted from having a convertible, and I frequently travel with more than 1 person in the car. Other than that, its mostly fair game.

Heh, statistically you're very likely to crash your first car. I wouldn't get anything too excessive. Get something safe, but cheap enough to survive rookie mistakes without too much heartache.

I have a relatively strict budget of $30,000 USD.

You can get pretty much anything used for that much. If you want a real driver's car get a Miata as narf suggested. How about a Genesis coupe?

Haha, my friend's mother drives a Viper (and a CLS 55 AMG)...its scary honestly (CLS is also scary)...and sorry I should have been more clear. I am restricted from having a convertible, and I frequently travel with more than 1 person in the car. Other than that, its mostly fair game.

RX8?

Genesis Coupe...hadn't even considered it. Would it make for a good DD?

Also, I have been driving since I was 12, and have never been in any sort of accident, major or not. My driving teacher criticized me for going 1mph under the speed limit.... Generally I am a safe driver and have a decent amount of experience, but yes something safe is definitely a major consideration.

Edit: RX8 is incredibly smooth, but I hear it literally eats oil and gas like none other. I have driven one though, and it was pretty sublime.

Edit2: Also, I really do not want to overstretch myself, both skill wise and car wise. I have seen porsche 911s and Corvettes for around 30 grand, but honestly, I would rather buy something that is a bit newer and has under preferably 40k miles. It will be my car for a long while, after all.

Last edited:
But how many years of driving experience while sharing the road with a bunch of blind morons who can't drive? :p

I am afraid that in America, the only diesel Beamer is the 335d. That would be a great car, but they are a rather recent addition to the American BMW lineup, and as such there are very few used models, and the ones that are available are usually 40,000+. But thank you for you're advice.

The RX8 is a great handler, but I don't know what the rear seats are like. I think you would be best off with either the Infinity or BMW you test drove if you want a better DD opposed to a more sports focused car.

I live in Texas, since I was about 12 :p

Jeez, I didn't know they could issue drivers licenses that young. :lol:

Well, I think you have the right idea with the 3-series and G37. I would go with a 330 personally. Just seems a bit more bullet proof than a 335. Find one with a sports package and 6-speed manual. :cool:

Last edited:
the 330i wasn't even a blip on my radar...completely forgot that in early E92s, the 330i was still top of the line. That sounds like it could be perfect. Thanks. Will definitely give one a test drive and compare it to the G37/G35S (the models I am leaning towards)

And I say that a COMPETENT 12 y/o driving is much less dangerous than a 28 y/o who has had too many/possesses not an ounce of common sense. Those who indicate left and turn right seem to be in the majority where I live...

If you plan to keep the car for a long time (up to 80k or more), I would recommend the G37 over the 335i. Theres no HPFP or possible future turbo issues to worry about. However, despite what everyone may say, BMW and other Germans do drive better. I was looking at a G37 as my next car but compared to my Audi, it feels cheap. I have driven the 335 before and that car is rock solid and built better than the G37.

That being said, the G37 is still a bargain for what you get and still a pretty awesome car. If you want a good daily driver with good performance, you cant really go wrong with a G37.

Fuck corners, your a new driver, you'le crash alot, get one of these :

International_MRAP.jpg

Haha the Tahoe is enough of a tank as it is. Its scary as hell when you are 16 threading a car worth the better part of $60,000 through tight streets and parking spaces without getting a scratch on my mother's precious pearl paint it so my she doesn't go crazy at me.

And yes, I have actually spent about 2 days solid at a teen driving school thing with a 2010 Audi A4 premium plus S-line. It was, in fact, very nice and I was sold on an Audi for awhile, but I did drive it on a makeshift AutoX course, and it failed to impress a bit. The way I see it the Infiniti gets 90% of the driving dynamics of BMW, with 90% of the interior quality of an Audi, with 90% the reliability of an Acura, at about 70% of the price...only with 25% the brand recognition of any of those bar Acura. The reason I am also considering a BMW is because...well they are fun to drive. (Can't really comment on Merc because the only one I have spent any real time in is my gf's mother's CLS 55...Driving that thing put the fear of God into me, but it didn't really give me a chance to actually get a feel for a Mercedes interior, and even if I did its not like I would get a 100,000 Merc...so does anyone know anything about the C Class?)

Edit: Also thank you for your advice.

Last edited: