First Car Advice

Very quick with the Miata, that might be a new record. From what we all learnt in another thread, it should be a beaten up pickup of some kind. There is no need to repeat what is said in that thread (that applies to people posting after me too ;)) but it may apply.

Learned to drive in a 1983 Ford F150 with about 200k miles on it. That and a 2003 Chevy Silverado with 100,000 some odd thousand miles(completely baseline, not even power windows, and regular cab) are basically what I drove everywhere up until the point when I got my license. Been down the whole pickup road before. Not looking to go back there.

Anyways, this may sound cliche, but I have been to multiple safe driving courses, have not gotten a ticket or even been pulled over in my year of relatively heavy driving, do not exceed the speed limit or participate in those idiotic drag races at stop lights. (A bunch of people I know whose parents got them M3s and G35 coupes do that, more than one I know of have been written off). I have also driven cross country for many hours at a time...I have a lot of experience for a "new" driver, and my parents feel I am responsible enough to handle a nicer car.

Sounds pretty good to me. And there's a bunch of people on here who are Texas based who autocross regularly. TBoneUS, equiraptor, spicysaurus, ninjacoco..... and probably some others who I'm not aware of. You should talk to them once you get your new car, assuming your parents wouldn't object to you using the car for the purpose.

I've learnt trying to tell a lot of people on here that you are a safe driver at yours/my age is a bit of a waste of time. Just smile move on, best way you can prove it is not to crash IMO. :)

As far as cars go, lucky to have such a nice budget! (not going to complain myself, but I got given my parent's old car- lovely and a really great car, but no BMW!!) Have you perhaps thought about sacrificing a bit of engine power/room for a better/lower mileage car? BMW 1-series is popular as a "prestige" P-plater (basically provisional driver, just off your learners) car over here- I know somebody with one who loves it to bits and thinks it's a really fun car to drive.

Have you perhaps thought about sacrificing a bit of engine power/room for a better/lower mileage for a better/more powerful car?

Sorry, fixed that for you. Cars take mileage in different ways.

30k$ should buy you a pretty cool slightly used 3-series or Audi A3, both with decent grunt. And those are never bad choices.

Jeez, I didn't know they could issue drivers licenses that young. :lol:

Well, I think you have the right idea with the 3-series and G37. I would go with a 330 personally. Just seems a bit more bullet proof than a 335. Find one with a sports package and 6-speed manual. :cool:

<---E46's are good choices as well, plus they're cheaper and more plentiful. Get a ZHP if you can, that's the pinnacle of E46 non-M cars. My 330 has been my first and only car so far and I've been running it since '08. It hasn't skipped a beat and the only real problem was previous owners not being very mindful of the body work and interior. In Texas, you are also liable to discover that interior trim starts to fail earlier in European cars due to the combination of high humidity and heat.

To reiterate what everyone else has said, get something safe and slow for a first car. That doesn't mean that fun is mutually exclusive- a GTI would be a good choice as well (it's no slouch, but it covers all the bases rather well). Again, keep in mind that VAG products are hit or miss (more likely the latter).

inuzuka, what do you want in a car? What do you want it to do, what is your budget for insurance, maintenance, repairs and fuel? Buying a car isn't just about what you can afford right now, but what you can afford tomorrow.

Do you want to have a vehicle that can haul a ton of stuff, corner well, be a comfortable sedan for you and your friends? You can't have a car that does everything, so you need to look at what you want the car to do and what vehicles are best for those needs while still being within your operational and purchase budget.

Domestic cars tend to be cheaper to repair in both labor and parts, especially compared to import luxury/sport sedans like the Infiniti. They are also cheaper to purchase, and with a $30,000 budget you can get a newer model from the near-current generation without much trouble.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend a Mustang V6 with a manual transmission.
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/09/17/fords-2009-mustang-took-top-ratings-in-the-sports-car-segment_100223974_m.jpg

It has a big enough boot, it's iconic, relatively cheap, inexpensive to own, with the manual it will be fast enough without enough to get you into trouble, and it looks cool. They are very customizable and there's a ton of aftermarket support, which will be good because you can probably get a very nice example for $5,000-$7,000 under your budget.

EDIT: My cousin has a G35 and the maintenance costs on it are astronomical to the point of eating his budget for a second car. The car needs new rotors about as often as it needs brakes, it eats tires, and is expensive as hell to work on. A new headlight bulb was over $200.

Last edited:
The RX8 is a great handler, but I don't know what the rear seats are like. I think you would be best off with either the Infinity or BMW you test drove if you want a better DD opposed to a more sports focused car.

The rear seats are difficult to get in and out of, but once you're in, they are full-size and will fit any normal person just fine. It's no 2+2.

It does burn some oil. It's really not major, I bought a 5 qt jug and haven't gone through it in over a year. Gas mileage is bad but manageable, I get 20-24 mpg but drive 90% highway.

Final note: it works just fine as a DD. I don't have any other car <_<

Last edited:
If I had 30k to spend and I wanted a fun car that could still hold 4 people in a pinch, I'd go straight to the Ford dealer and buy a 2011 Mustang V6 Premium. It's not the best handler ever, but still quite competent in terms of road holding considering it's bulk. The engine is a peach and offers good punch with the optional rear end.

If I didn't care about how many people I could seat, I'd go get an 09 370z. You can get a used one for about 27-29k, usually with the sport package. More horsepower than the Mustang, but it doesn't feel it due to taller gearing. The suspension is what sets it apart.

Not to pry but, is this from your parents? Lucky.

Last edited:
I'm partial to the G35 over the G37s. Especially the coupes. Yeah its 30 hp less, but its also 400 lbs lighter. Plus they look much better than the G37s. 300 hp will still get the job done, and they just look great.
But yeah I agree with most. Don't get anything fancy. Save money during these times. Remember, your insurance is gonna be hella high because of your age. Maybe an Impreza WRX (not STi), a last gen Mustang, or some such.

Why not a new 2011 mustang? Its about 30k and it corners(only the 2010 mustangs and 2011 mustangs handle but the 2011 has the 5.0L V8) is fast and decently reliable.

Why not a new 2011 mustang? Its about 30k and it corners(only the 2010 mustangs and 2011 mustangs handle but the 2011 has the 5.0L V8) is fast and decently reliable.

I think it was Motor Trend this month that put the Mustang GT up against the BMW M3 and it was only .11 slower around their track, equally fast to 60 and faster to 70+. It also pulls more Gs than the M3 and stops just a hair shorter - all for $27,000 less than the BMW (as tested).

So I am hearing a lot of "Mustang". The problem is that mustangs around here are dime a dozen. They seem to be the fall back for teenagers in my area, and honestly, I have never really been enamored with them. Don't get me wrong, I really respect the mustang. 300+ Hp starting in the low 20 grands with 31 mpg is beyond amazing, but it just doesn't do it for me... But I think I will give it a try regardless, as the only 'stang I have ever been in is my friend's 95 GT with 500 WHP (supercharger, cobra heads and block, etc, 0-60 in 3.7, believe it or not, he had it tested.), and I was too busy clinging on for dear life to pass judgement on it.

Also, about the G35 comment, I have driven both coupes, but honestly I think if I were to get a G, it would be a G35S sedan. Seemed to honestly perform the best out of any I tried. Also the G35 coupes lack a bit of headroom, and I can see it getting annoying in the long run. While it would definitely be a cool choice for a teenager in highschool, I am likely going to be using this car well into college, and I want a car that won't wear on me.

And yes, I am blessed enough to have parents who are going to be buying the car for me. Please don't think I am a "spoiled rich kid". I try not to take it for granted, Because I know I will have to earn my own money soon enough. Also, I really get sick of it when people I know brag about taking their dates to prom in their parent's Porsche 911s and Lexus SC430s (even know of one person in my area whose BMW M3 wasn't good enough to take his date in, so he used his dad's Lamborghini Gallardo)

edit: Ok Blind_Io, you may have just sold me on a mustang GT 5.0 in one sentence.l

Last edited:
Hehe as soon as you said that I looked it up. That is beyond incredible, though obviously I won't be able to afford all the luxury options, or even the Brake Package...just amazing.

You can add Brembo brakes at a later date.

With your need for "room for 4" is there any particular reason you aren't looking at used super saloons? Specifically C5 RS6 E39 M5 and CTS-V. I didn't see anything about wanting a specifically new car and with pricing below (depending on mileage) your 30K limit you might be able to parlay that into assistance on the maintenance end of things.

The following prices/mileage were pulled from Ebay so obviously no really exact but still gives a reasonable idea of pricing. Also manual where applicable.

RS6: 26-29K 60K-70K Miles
M5: 12K-26L 60K-100K miles
CTS-V: 20K-26K 25K-80K miles

I have heard horror stories of people buying cars such as E39 M5s out of warranty. I really don't want to overreach myself. Haven't really looked into the Caddy or the Audi, but I will see what I can dig up on those two, thanks.

Last edited:
In the interest of full disclosure between the Audi and the Caddy i would go with the Caddy hands down. The Audi has great power and interior and cachet but it has some suspension issues which if their rear ugly head can get expensive. On the point of M5's if you actually do your research and buy through a reputable dealer or a well known person on say M5Board you can avoid a lot of those horror stories also never underestimate the usefulness of an aftermarket warranty.

I have heard that BMW suspensions tend to chew up tires much faster than other cars, I knew one person with a 7-series who said that he had to buy two sets of tires per year. My cousin has the same problem with his G35 sedan (AWD), but he gets tires with a mileage or time warranty, so he only pays a minimal amount when the car eats the tread and he has to replace them.

Last edited: