The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

So it appears the universe wants me to have no more than 4 motorcycles at one time. I picked up a 1978 GL1000 parts bike tonight, and right after we got it into the garage, I get a call from a guy who wanted the VFR, right now. The VFR had been for sale for several weeks, but it just happens to sell right after I acquire a parts wing. :hmm:

Anyways, some pics:

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2010/09/18/09182010724.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2010/09/18/09182010725.jpg

Best thing about it is that it has a Dyna S ignition system, which paid for a good percentage of it :dance:

Last edited:
Alright just got back from looking at the $100 nighthawk. Here are the good parts.
Engine is good,
frame is good.
Gas tank is solid
forks are good
no visible leaks (sans brake master cylnder)

Here's the bad:
Clutch master cylinder missing
Brake master cylinder needs re-build + sight glass
Carbs need cleaning, re-building,
needs new tires
needs new back brakes
needs new back turn signal
needs horns (missing)
needs mirrors (missing)
needs sidecovers (missing)
needs tailight lens (cracked)
tail section is disintegrated
... and thats what I know so far. So now, I'm gonna try and add this up to see if it's worth it. Whaddaya think finalgear? is it still worth it?

EDIT: Did a little bit of research (looking on ebay, Bikebandit), turns out all that is gonna be close to $900 :(.

Last edited:
Best thing about it is that it has a Dyna S ignition system, which paid for a good percentage of it :dance:

If the 'Wing ever decides to become a bad idea, I know someone who will gladly rip you off on it take it off your hands.

Here's the bad:

Clutch master cylinder missing - got several of those, you can have one for a canister of Ovaltine and cost of shipping. You will probably need to rebuild the clutch slave as well - $20.
Brake master cylinder needs re-build + sight glass - Sight glass is $15 from New River, Rebuild kit is ~$15 as I recall, from SiriusCon.
Carbs need cleaning, re-building, - Fortunately simple enough to do. A set of four rebuild kits from SiriusCon is about $60, IIRC.
needs new tires - Dunlop GT501s are about $120 per end.
needs new back brakes - $20 for EBC off eBay.
needs new back turn signal - $20 for a pair of conformal rear lights.
needs horns (missing) - $10 off eBay.
needs mirrors (missing) - $25 off eBay for LED marker mirrors.
needs sidecovers (missing) - $20 each on eBay.
needs tailight lens (cracked) - saw one off eBay for about $20.
tail section is disintegrated - No idea. Wouldn't expect it to be more than about $40-50.

I've bought worse. I currently ride a resurrected example. :D I'd buy it, at $100.

Also, not seeing where you're getting $900 from, plus even if that were the case, the bike is still worth it.

If the 'Wing ever decides to become a bad idea, I know someone who will gladly rip you off on it take it off your hands.

The Dyna S from the Wing does not work for the SOHC/4. The one for the flat-four Wings is the DSK1-3 and you need a DSK1-2.

Last edited:
I've bought worse. My 500 started out much worse.

Go for it.

Yeah, it did, didn't it? We got that going just fine, though.

RMurray8874, a shaft drive commuter with the build quality, features, low maintenance and durability of the old twin-cam Nighthawk 650 is a rarity these days. In fact, nobody makes anything like it. One that's in rebuildable condition for $100 is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Very quick question- how best to clean a helmet visor? I've tried a microfibre cloth and eyeglass wipes on mine, but I can't get it clean enough. It has to be literally spotless- I'm putting one of those anti-fog sticker-y things (a Fog City Hyper Optiks one) on it.

Also, got some gloves- 5 brand "Stunt black". Tried them out today (along with my new helmet) and I love them- really nice to finally have some good quality gear! :)

That stuff should have gotten it clean enough. Is there residue on the visor or is it a matter of dust?

That stuff should have gotten it clean enough. Is there residue on the visor or is it a matter of dust?

Seems to be residue and very stubborn fingerprints. Possibly some stuff from the sticker the visor had on it for sale, but that was like a static cling so I wouldn't think that would affect it. It's just like water marks and there is a bit on the inside of the visor (which will be annoying if I put the fog clearer thing over that!)

Try some Honda spray cleaner and polish on it, then follow it up with alcohol and microfiber.

Found this place while looking into the '84 700SC I am going to buy, and dammit you all seem like civilized folks so I registered. I have a question to go with my flattery. I sold off my leathers when I got rid of my virago a few years back and wondered what everyone would recommend as far as style concerns. I am interested in a leather only that will be comfortable for longish periods. I would prefer something less pre-cut fit for leaning over a sportbike tank. What I really want is some mid '80's one piece with multi colored leather sewn together but it does not seem to be available. To be honest my main problem is not wanting a logo as big as my ass on anything and I have a pretty small ass. Something like this is the closest I have found and of course very spendy, unreleased, and probably sold out already.
1533607_L76_F_S.png

Last edited:
I found this place while looking into the 700SC I am going to buy and found everyone to be of a civilized sort so I registered. I sold my very loud virago and all of my leathers off some years ago and am not enjoying the act of replenishing them. I have a very small ass and refuse to wear a logo bigger than it, much less multiple. I would love an 80's one piece suit with multiple colored contrasting leathers somewhat similar to the jacket below which is the closest I have found. My one other concern is that it not be cut for leaning over a sport bike tank. Anyone have some suggestions?

1533607_L76_F_S.png

Alright, after thinking it over (and finding space to put it), I think I'll buy the nighthawk. I'll probably have it by next weekend.

Clutch master cylinder missing - got several of those, you can have one for a canister of Ovaltine and cost of shipping.

Okay
1. You serious?
2. If so, PM me with with where to send the stuff and whether you prefer rich chocolate, chocolate malt, or classic malt.:D

1. Yes.
2. Will do when I lay hands on one later today. I prefer chocolate malt. (I'm doing this because I have quite a surplus of the things and I can't be arsed to sell them on eBay as they are serviceable or at least rebuildable, but not great cosmetically.) I am a great believer in having a vast store of spare parts for my daily riding machine and I think right now I have triplicates or more of everything I'm likely to need. I can certainly spare a clutch master. The Ovaltine is a token payment. :p If you were in Australia, I'd ask for a plush toy roo; if you were in London I'd ask for a gag beefeater hat, that sort of thing.

Why the wait until next weekend?

Last edited:
Thanks Spectre. Can't get the bike now because,well, I don't have a pickup truck/car with proper wiring for tow lights. However I do have a friend that has a pickup truck and have made arrangements to pick it up then. So The Nighthawk should be home by next weekend.

Thanks Spectre. Can't get the bike now because,well, I don't have a pickup truck/car with proper wiring for tow lights. However I do have a friend that has a pickup truck and have made arrangements to pick it up then. So The Nighthawk should be home by next weekend.

That sounds like a deficiency you should rectify. :D

Everyone needs a car/ van with a trailer or a truck, or one of each.

Yeah, most tires have a specified rotating direction, usually marked on the tire itself. There are some profile patterns out there that are ok for using both ways, and some other patterns may look as if they're facing the wrong direction.
As for what it actually was that you saw... :dunno:

Ahh, tread direction.

Yeah, the tires have a directional arrow. I found this out when I had my Conti Sport Attacks mounted a few months ago. The mechanic mounted the tread according the pattern but not by the directional arrows. The confusion was that if you followed the directional arrows on the sidewall, the tread between the front and back tire is backwards.

So, after doing some research online, Continental basically said that all tires should be mounted according to the directional arrows. Apparently, they had reversed the front pattern for a longer tread life, and some people think that they also switched it for braking purposes in the wet.

Yeah, I learned my lesson. :)

ok, thanx. i had noticed a few with what seemed very obvious that the tires are on backwards. ill check them and advise them as needed. tires are importand here in rainy florida so i tend to look for this kinda stuff. again, thanx guys

ok, thanx. i had noticed a few with what seemed very obvious that the tires are on backwards. ill check them and advise them as needed. tires are importand here in rainy florida so i tend to look for this kinda stuff. again, thanx guys

Yeah, look for the directional arrows - some treads are just plain confusing. Evidently they work, though.

Just had my first close call today. I was driving down a two lane, I slowed down to the speed limit because there were a half dozen kids waiting for an approaching school bus, out of nowhere this lady in a shitty S-10 passes me on the hard shoulder doing 90 MPH in a 50. I know she was doing 90 cause once I got past the kids I fucking caught her. I know especially being on bike you shouldn't get into road rage and stuff, but at the inevitable stop light I scared the living shit out of her. Should of just followed her home and done a slow ride-by Gran Torino style.