The Android thread

Depending on the phone, rooting and installing custom ROMs /kernels and overclocking tools can as much as triple performance.

Depending on the phone, rooting and installing custom ROMs /kernels and overclocking tools can as much as triple performance.

friend of mine had this benchmark thingy on his desire.
after installing a custom froyo ROM his performance (compared to stock 2.1) was actually SIX times as high.

How bad can a rooting attempt go?
I know there are easy tutorials for the Galaxy S, but I have a model that is specific to my country, so I am slightly worried about bricking the damn thing. On the other hands, those rooted phones are soooo much faster and nices without Touchwiz...

Rooting itself wasn't the issue for me, it's installing a custom ROM that went horribly wrong, but it still only took a couple of hours to get everything done. Rooting is just the act of gaining access to previously restricted functionality so it doesn't make any difference on its own.... just opens up possibilities.

so technically I can't root my desire to make it comparable to a non-rooted galaxy gaming experience wise ?

Once the phone is rooted you can install custom software, which may or may not preform better than the standard one. In many cases it does by several times.

My motives aren?t just the known 3-time increase in performance, but the ability to access all apps in the Android Market (and pay for them!) as well as all the things Samsung and my carrier removed and/or blocked.

Thanks guys!

I'd like to root my phone but I think I'm going to fuck something up. Can I get the HTC keyboard and layout when my phone is rooted ?

But the real thing that keeps me away is the inability to overclock my phone, I think I might fry my phone if I get around to using it.

I believe this is the best I can expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSwsEA4RgRA

Last edited:
I'd like to root my phone but I think I'm going to fuck something up. Can I get the HTC keyboard and layout when my phone is rooted ?

But the real thing that keeps me away is the inability to overclock my phone, I think I might fry my phone if I get around to using it.

I believe this is the best I can expect:

<video>

I'll say it again: rooting the phone only gives access to functionality that was previously blocked. Nothing else changes. It's just like a secret toggle switch in the options menu.

Now, after rooting, if you want to have a field day with custom ROMs (replacement of the system software) you can. You can also use overclocking software, more advanced tethering software, and I think there are market hacks though I haven't bothered myself. Lots of other stuff too. There's lot you can do without hurting the system software (and therefore your HTC keyboard and layout which I do indeed miss).

Last edited:
If you do a full wipe (including wiping dalvik cache) before flashing a custom ROM (preferably one from CyanogenMod or VillainROM) from my experience there isn't anything that can go wrong beyond repair. The only annoying part is setting your phone up like it was before the wipe.

On the overclocking, if you don't go over the top it's perfectly fine, I overclocked my Hero to 749 MHz (528 MHz stock) about 6 months ago and apart from decreasing my battery life a bit it hasn't caused me any problems. I'm ofcourse talking about my personal experience with my device so others might have different experiences and opinions on this :)

Lastly, if you don't flash a custom ROM the UI and keyboard won't change, on my phone I use the HTC_IME mod keyboard which came with my ROM (FroydVillain), basicly an HTC keyboard with extra functionality.

He's the boss of a rival company. Of course he's gonna talk trash.

Anyway, Google has released an update for Gmail in the market.

chart

He is the president of Nokia, a.k.a., the company that will never again get a penny from me. He can fuck off and die for all I care.
Oh, and GMail is one of the apps I can?t reach right now.<_<

If you have root, install an app called marketaccess, that'll give you access to all apps. Also I think it needs 2.2.

If you have root, install an app called marketaccess, that'll give you access to all apps. Also I think it needs 2.2.

Yes, I am thinking about rooting my phone, if only for the lagfix.
Might do a full wipe as well and remove all the crap from the carrier and from Samsung.

Hmm, my Desire seems to be draining its battery pretty quickly...

21% Battery drained with wifi on and downloading and installing some apps from marketplace for 10 minutes?! Or maybe battstat widget is playing up....

Running this ROM:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=773997

With the Minor tweaks Zip file installed.

Last edited:
Boot into recovery and clear battery stats. Then allow the phone to run completely dead before recharging to make sure it can figure it all out again.

Boot into recovery and clear battery stats. Then allow the phone to run completely dead before recharging to make sure it can figure it all out again.

I thought you weren't supposed to do this with modern batteries?

I thought you weren't supposed to do this with modern batteries?