Help constructing an arm mounted ball launcher?

Talaaya

Viper's Sister
VIP
I'm trying to think of the best way to go about building a ball launcher that can be fitted to my arm. I've been toying with several ideas and scrounging the internet for possible solutions, but with little luck. Here's what I've come up with so far:

- has to be as slim as possible
- needs to be as short as possible
- hopefully it can be triggered by the same arm it's on, but not a big deal if i have to use my other hand
- ammo will be something like nerf balls or ping pong balls
- will be reloaded via the front of the cannon
- should probably be spring loaded. i can't see an easy way to do air compression because of the pumping action required
- doesn't have to be very powerful, minimum probably about 10 feet. It's just for show.
- I've thought about modding an existing product or building my own, and I'm leaning toward building my own since pretty much every one I've found uses air compression or fires in a way that wouldn't work for me.

So my question is: does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about doing this?

Last edited:
Modifying a slingshot is probably the easiest way to go about it. Figure out a way to include a trigger mechanism and enclose the launcher in some sort of tube so it doesn't flop about.

Does it have to function like a cannon or gun, or could it be something that works like an arm-action pitching machine. Similar to this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx5driwxdYw[/youtube]

har har -_-

lol, ok fine I'll just tell you why I'm making this...

armcannon.jpg

If the launcher doesn't work out, as an alternative I'll just put a light in there.

Last edited:
Or, find something by Nerf and use that as a basis.

How about some sort of large diameter PVC pipe with a spring in it and some sort of trigger/locking mechanism.

Something like this (yay MS paint).

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2010/09/25/gun.jpg

Yeah that's like what I was thinking, but what about triggering it? And not just that but also making it workable inside the housing of samus' cannon along with my arm. I see two possible options: 1) it's triggered via a button on the exterior of the housing by my other hand, or 2) making the mechanism work in some way that i can trigger it from inside the housing with my hand. How would I go about making either of those mechanisms?

Use something similar to a door latch... so a piece of metal that is angled on the front side and flat in the back, allowing the "pusher" park of the cannon to lock in place. Then just have some sort of trigger that releases that latch. To load the gun you would just use something like a cannon rammer and then just make a place in the cannon to hide the rammer.

What I'm thinking is something similar to what you would find on an action figure, but the projectile would be 2 separate parts in this application. Like this Boba Fett figure. Just make the second half of the missile the push plate that is attached to the spring.
Boba-Fett-Redemption-1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh no, my sister is becoming a cosplayer.

*starts planning an intervention*

Pfft, I'm not making it to pretend I'm Samus. A costume doesn't get any more epic than something like the Varia suit! I plan on wearing it for Halloween next year, probably PAX too.

I'm also not a fan of the idea of cosplay, although whatever floats your boat!

har har -_-

lol, ok fine I'll just tell you why I'm making this...

armcannon.jpg

If the launcher doesn't work out, as an alternative I'll just put a light in there.

That's going to make for a sweet Master Chief costume! :cool:

watch taxi driver, should give you some ideas :p

Potato cannon!