Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

How come you can't get a XK in BRG? What's up with that.

Forgive my lack of experience/knowledge, but I've always wondered, how does someone determine the cylinder count of an engine just by listening to the noise?

All modern engines have distinct noises depending on how many cylinders they have. It's pretty easy to tell them apart, I think. I4s, V6s, V8s, V10s, and V12s all have their own distinct noises (although not all are the same, obviously).

Forgive my lack of experience/knowledge, but I've always wondered, how does someone determine the cylinder count of an engine just by listening to the noise?

4 cylinders always sounded distinctly "rougher" than 6 cylinders to me...although many now are very, very smooth.

Last edited:
All modern engines have distinct noises depending on how many cylinders they have. It's pretty easy to tell them apart, I think. I4s, V6s, V8s, V10s, and V12s all have their own distinct noises (although not all are the same, obviously).

I5's can sound very differently from an I4.
[video=youtube;1M-kowoIhw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-kowoIhw0[/video]

How come you can't get a XK in BRG? What's up with that.

1_Ian_Callum.jpg

Now that you mention it...I can never find a 2003-2004 XKR in BRG, despite months of browsing Autotrader. Maybe their owners are just too fond of them to give them up.

I'm up at this hour supposedly to go autocrossing, but for some reason I can't be bothered. Still can't quite get into the concept, even after trying it a couple times. Maybe a foliage run instead.

I think, like GOP leaders who campaign against gay rights but have recently come out of the closet themselves, Spectre nurses a tragically unrequited love for Ian Callum.

It's ok, Spectre. You're among friends here.

just had a silver 458 and a white 911 GT3 blast past me on the highway at night. have to say, a brief glance of the 458's rear is much better than a prolonged look

I think, like GOP leaders who campaign against gay rights but have recently come out of the closet themselves, Spectre nurses a tragically unrequited love for Ian Callum.

It's ok, Spectre. You're among friends here.

The only contact I want to have with Callum is visual contact through my rifle's scope right before I pull the trigger and send a .308 round down range. :p

Apparently Callum wants a clean break from Jaguar's past. That means no elements of past designs, no classic past colors, and apparently no contact with a past when Jaguar actually had customers.

Last edited:
I5's can sound very differently from an I4.
[video=youtube;1M-kowoIhw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-kowoIhw0[/video]

I didn't say anything about an I5 sounding like an I4, now did I? I said engines with different numbers of cylinders all sound different. The I5 sounds more like an I6/V6 than an I4.

Crushed the autox competition today. Won Tire by over a second and paxed 10th overall. Not bad for a stock VW on street tires.

I found this website the other day, with all kinds of awesome used armoured cars for sale, 70's Jags/Quattroportes/etc... I wanted to use them for the ebay thread.

I can't find the site. :(

Today I had to break into my own mitsu. Noone looked, I'm pretty sure they all thought no thief would be stupid enough to steal a car that has a broken seatbelt and it's belching smoke like the pits of Isengard.

I hate trying to sell cars; you get screwed around by people, waste your weekend waiting for them and then they never show up. So yesterday I considered something I never have before - the trade-in. I went round to some local dealers when I had a spare moment, and saw a nice 2001 Audi A4. Silver, 2.0, leather, manual, listed at $12500. I thought it was a reasonably good deal, asked about what trade-in I could get for the Lancer... $3500. At that moment I remembered why I never considered a trade-in before. I was then offered a 2006 Proton Savvy which could be had for my car plus $1500. This is when I left.

So my 5-day-old, brand new car got broken into. :shakefist:
At least whoever did that was a real pro and did no damage whatsoever to the car, only taking an old radio, a spare tire and some tools. Despite the fact that it was parked IN FRONT of the restaurant at 1PM, no one saw anything.

Last edited: