Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

My personal opinion is that if you already have a decent, small notebook, the netbook wouldn't be very useful.

My netbook was very cheap and does everything I need it to do. I bought it mainly so I could spend more money on a good desktop. However, it's very slow and the screen is cramped. In 90% of situations I'd rather use a notebook, as long as it is smaller than my previous 15" one.

If you're comfortable with it, you should buy a used Nokia Booklet and give it an SSD upgrade. My total lcost was about $275 and I'm quite happy with it. Then again, the 311 will have much better performance, but the Booklet is unibody aluminum and has a 1280x720 screen.

Oh yeah, I forgot it also had ION. Do eet.

^ as much as I like the booklet I like the ion more.

Tried changing my macs itunes icon and now it's just some weird .icns preview icon.

What? My research says it has an N270 Atom. That's what mine has and while it's acceptable, it's pretty shitty. Ion changes everything.

EDIT: It appears there are quite a few different models.

Hopefully my 2 hour battle trying to get Avast to shut the fuck up while I'm using Firefox is over.

Today it started showing dangerous URL errors pointing to a proxy site that I don't use, presumably because Avast have added it to their new definitions. I've tried all sorts to get rid of it but I worked out that it only happens on this profile in Firefox and it must be one of the add-ons. Anyway I've installed a couple of them that I didn't use (one was a Google cache checker, the one I suspect) and now it's gone away. Thank fuck for that, the Avast woman was driving me up the wall. :cry:

God dammit... I was ordering a PDF copy of an Apple Training book on Peachpit's website and this piece of shit crapped out during the order so I had to do it all over again... I now have a very nice copy of a book I bought about two months ago :'(

Hopefully I can have them take a look at my order list and convince to exchange it :-(

Not bad for something that was advertized as 20Mb down/2Mb up 8)

Reformatted my OS HDD, reinstalled windows....

Go to install my ATI drivers, realize...

I installed 32-bit Windows 7 Professional.

SO.

MUCH.

RAGE.

So I really want to get a Captivate, but in order to do so I'd have to switch from my grandfathered $30/mo unlimited data/text to a $20/mo 2GB data and $15/mo text. Up until this month, my peak data usage has been 1.5GB, with this month spiking to 2.3GB with 5 days left in the billing cycle. If I go over 2GB, it's another $10 per GB. The plan would be a bit worse, but I really don't think it would effect me much, and I REALLY want the phone.

Stupid AT&T data plans are the reason I switched to Sprint, and that was before the new system.

If you want a durable laptop, get a Lenovo Thinkpad. I say this because I had mine in my backpack when I crashed my 500 last week, and other than a tiny crack between 2 ports, it is perfectly functional still.

Or better yet, a Toughbook.

I need some advice here.

I just picked up my failbook Pro from a "Premium reseller" at uni, and got charged for the repairs despite my macbook being within the warranty period because apparently it was a software problem and not a hardware problem (The invoice says its because there were HD errors), hence not being covered under Apple warranty. I'm extremely pissed off since if it was a software issue I would've fixed it myself by just running the restore disk, and despite calling up the store yesterday their service department never returned my call asking about the work and giving authorization for it.

Is it true that Apple wouldn't provide coverage for these types of problems? I've already picked up the laptop and paid for it since I need it back rather urgently, but its definitely left a bad taste in my mouth since I reckon if I took it to an official Apple store I wouldn't have been charged for the work. :mad:

My 2.17ghz Intel GMA Macbook, what sort of screen and resolution can It drive as it's maximum?

I'd say 2048*1536 through DVI or VGA. Pretty much anything that doesn't require Dual-link DVI.

I need some advice here.

I just picked up my failbook Pro from a "Premium reseller" at uni, and got charged for the repairs despite my macbook being within the warranty period because apparently it was a software problem and not a hardware problem (The invoice says its because there were HD errors), hence not being covered under Apple warranty. I'm extremely pissed off since if it was a software issue I would've fixed it myself by just running the restore disk, and despite calling up the store yesterday their service department never returned my call asking about the work and giving authorization for it.

Is it true that Apple wouldn't provide coverage for these types of problems? I've already picked up the laptop and paid for it since I need it back rather urgently, but its definitely left a bad taste in my mouth since I reckon if I took it to an official Apple store I wouldn't have been charged for the work. :mad:

Working as a service tech in an Apple Reseller, I can confirm this. Apple only reimburses us when we do an actual physical repair, i.e. when we order a part. They don't cover any diagnostic, software related issues nor any data recovery... A good service center wouldn't have done any work without your approval though.