Stupid Driver Stories

LOL, you want a personal challenge Blind_Io? Try getting this "sign" in the back of your Xterra. :mrgreen:

n49408549_31157921_9251.jpg

I can fit three of those in the back under the retractable cargo cover*.

* - "sign" must be disassembled with a saw first.

Last edited:
Easy.

Since it's a cyclist, he or she probably lives in the area. Put a picture in the local newspaper and tell people to report to the police, if they know the person. I'm sure somebody will.

Or even better: Put it on the internet and post links in local discussion forums, e.g. of the local newspaper :)

Either people in Germany are realy ,realy ,REALY lawrespecting and responsible, or you are looking at this realy realy REALY naieve :p

Btw , even if someone does report him, do you realy think the police will act? when was the last time any cyclist was ever fined/punished for anything ,ever?
That lot hurls round running people over on deathtraps that arent streetlegal from a mile away and never gets looked at twice by 'the law', do you honestly think somebody will take the effort in bringing them to justice (meaning miles of paperwork ) for scratching a car?

Either people in Germany are realy ,realy ,REALY lawrespecting and responsible,

Yes.

Believe it or not but cyclists are being punished here, when they are caught. They even get speeding tickets or fines for riding on the cycle path in the wrong direction and other violations of traffic rules. They can even lose their driving licenses, if they are caught drunk on a bicycle (naturally that only applies to adults who have a driving license).

Of course the police doesn't have the resources for covering greater areas but there are targeted checks. Some cities even have special police task forces for that:
Fahrradpolizist.jpg

You have to realize that by German law, all traffic participants are equal -- in their rights as well as in their duties. And it's in the German mentality to point out people's mistakes and rule violations and apply punishment, when the law says so.

If you get honked at by a German car, it's not meant as a warning, a friendly greeting or a kind of communications signal. It has a message, alright, but it says: "You did wrong and I am here to tell you!"

And while we're at it, here's a funny story about a guy being too German: http://www.thelocal.de/society/20100804-28931.html

Last edited:
Yes.

Believe it or not but cyclists are being punished here

My eyes are reading the words but my brain can't rap itself around it......

If this is true my respect for the German policeforce has just quadrupeld, you should see the situations here.......

Last edited:
Now for our Morning Driving God:

Ms White Explorer! Yes, it's totally cool to be in a hurry on a narrow two lane road. After all, this road is bounded by two things: Suspension Eating Ditches and Trees of Extreme Solidity (+5, Vorpal). I'm sure the traffic didn't bother her, as she blew by me and zoomed off. I'm sure the fact that the person about 100 yards ahead of me was catching up to oncoming traffic didn't even register to her. I do know she wasn't happy to have to sit behind someone doing the speed limit this morning. Fortunately, the person she was now stuck behind was totally oblivious to her lunacy.

It just doesn't pay to be in that big of a hurry, sometimes.

If you get honked at by a German car, it's not meant as a warning, a friendly greeting or a kind of communications signal. It has a message, alright, but it says: "You did wrong and I am here to tell you!"
Wrong. It means "I am sure you did wrong and I did right", but especially when it comes to cyclists it's often the car driver that broke a rule. As a cyclist, you get honked at for simply being on the same road as some asshole car driver who thinks the road was included in his car purchase.

The fact that so many cyclists think they are not beholden to any traffic law might have something to do with that.

Wrong. It means "I am sure you did wrong and I did right", but especially when it comes to cyclists it's often the car driver that broke a rule. As a cyclist, you get honked at for simply being on the same road as some asshole car driver who thinks the road was included in his car purchase.

It was, didn't you see my name on it? now get on your damn cyclelane and out of my way :p

Last edited:

I do that, too... when cyclists don't use the cycle path. Or when they ride without the lights on in the dark. Or when they try to ride across a zebra crossing without dismounting first. Or when they use the wrong side of he road. Or when they cut a redlight by jumping on the sidewalk and cross the street where the lights are green for pedestrians...

It's fair to give a warning by honking. It means: "You have 2 seconds to get out of my way, before your face hits the road" :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I do that, too... when cyclists don't use the cycle path. Or when they ride without the lights on in the dark. Or when they try to ride across a zebra crossing without dismounting first. Or when they use the wrong side of he road. Or when they cut a redlight by jumping on the sidewalk and cross the street where the lights are green for pedestrians...

It's fair to give a warning by honking. It means: "You have 2 seconds to get out of my way, before your face hits the road" :mrgreen:

In another forum there was a guy bitching that a cop gave him two tickets for running a red light when he pulled that stunt on his bicycle (crossed one street then turned and crossed another). Pretty much every reply to his thread was along the lines of "Good, you deserve it, douchebag!"

In another forum there was a guy bitching that a cop gave him two tickets for running a red light when he pulled that stunt on his bicycle (crossed one street then turned and crossed another). Pretty much every reply to his thread was along the lines of "Good, you deserve it, douchebag!"
It's called "Light avoidance" and you can get a ticket for that in a car as well, say if you cut through a parking lot or a gas station to get around the light.

Agree with all this.

There is a 40mph, six lane, urban highway near here, with a special cycle lanes each side, for cyclists to ride safely.

But NO!

Some of them want to ride in lane one, at 25mph and risk getting squashed by a truck or becoming my hood ornament.

Idiots. :shakefist:

It's called "Light avoidance" and you can get a ticket for that in a car as well, say if you cut through a parking lot or a gas station to get around the light.

Those building numbers can be hard to read sometimes... :whistle:

That's not what he did. He approached a red light and rode through it during the pedestrian walk signal. Then he turned left and rode across the street he was just on via the crosswalk on the pedestrian walk signal.

I somehow hope that one day I get one of those suckers on video... When I do, I post it here.

Yes.

Believe it or not but cyclists are being punished here, when they are caught. They even get speeding tickets or fines for riding on the cycle path in the wrong direction and other violations of traffic rules. They can even lose their driving licenses, if they are caught drunk on a bicycle (naturally that only applies to adults who have a driving license).

Of course the police doesn't have the resources for covering greater areas but there are targeted checks. Some cities even have special police task forces for that:
Fahrradpolizist.jpg

You have to realize that by German law, all traffic participants are equal -- in their rights as well as in their duties. And it's in the German mentality to point out people's mistakes and rule violations and apply punishment, when the law says so.

And while we're at it, here's a funny story about a guy being too German: http://www.thelocal.de/society/20100804-28931.html

Now I reaaaaally want to move to Germany.... :(

Well, I would normally convey here my feelings about how the IQ of Ohio and Indiana drivers seem to be leaps and bounds under that of NoDak drivers, but one instance today stands out as a shining example. Driving back to my folks' home from Sugarcreek (from some farce of a "Swiss Heritage Festival"), some moron pulls up to a two way-stop, stops, looks both ways, then enters the intersection at about the same time I did. Lucky for him this was in a town where the speed limit had just dropped down to 35 (and thus I made mind to do the speed limit), and not further up or down where it's 50 mph thourgh blind hills and corners. Thankfully no one was hurt, but it wasn't like it was a blind intersection; just pure stupidity that caused it. And now my Honda is stuck in Amish country.

Seriously, it seems ever since I got East of Chicago stop signs and red lights have become mere suggestions than law with the way people drive here!

Stupid driver today. I was driving to campus and i had the green light when a woman in a Cadillac CTS pulls up to the light. She had the red but i guess she didn't get what that meant because she just kept going into the intersection. There was no room for me to avoid it. Fortunately, my car still ran and only had body damage. The drive train and engine are fine. She wasn't so lucky. Radiator was punctured and was flushing itself onto the ground and her car had to be towed away. After replacing the body parts i need to, i plan on putting one of those steel bars that cops have on the front of their cars (i don't know exactly what they're called.) just for the hell of it.

Pics of the Damage: Pic1 Pic2

Stupid driver today. I was driving to campus and i had the green light when a woman in a Cadillac CTS pulls up to the light. She had the red but i guess she didn't get what that meant because she just kept going into the intersection. There was no room for me to avoid it. Fortunately, my car still ran and only had body damage. The drive train and engine are fine. She wasn't so lucky. Radiator was punctured and was flushing itself onto the ground and her car had to be towed away. After replacing the body parts i need to, i plan on putting one of those steel bars that cops have on the front of their cars (i don't know exactly what they're called.) just for the hell of it.

Pics of the Damage: Pic1 Pic2

Yowch, hopefully her insurance will fully cover it!!!

(And we call them either 'roo bars, bull bars or bumper bars over here, and they are a pretty good idea if you do anticipate your car being hit again. Not so good if you accidentally hit a pedestrian/cyclist/motorbiker :()