Mahindra makes bid to enter motorcycle market.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/01/...autoblog+(Autoblog)&utm_content=Google+Reader

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/10/01/mahindra-mojo.jpg

Complete with colorful dancers and Bollywood superstar Amir Khan, Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd announced its entry into the two-wheeled market with the launch of two new models. The Mojo and Stallio are the culmination of a plan put into action back in 2008, when the giant Indian manufacturer purchased Italian design firm Engines Engineering, which claims responsibility for the styling of the M&M motos.

The smaller Stallio, which starts under $999 at current exchange rates, will be powered by an air-cooled 110cc mill sourced from China, with the rest of the bike also doing well to reflect its cheap entry level price point. Not so with the above pictured Mojo, which benefits from a liquid-cooled and fuel-injected 300cc single, inverted forks and large-diameter petal-type brake rotors. With a price-point just under $3,900 and a four-year warranty, the big Mahindra might just work some mojo of its own on potential buyers. For a complete list of spec's you can head over to burnyourfuel.com.

Vice chairman Arnad Mahindra proudly made the bold claim that this will be not only "the most interesting, the most attractive bike" going on to claim that it would be "the fastest and best that India has to offer the globe." It should come as no surprise that Mahindra wants a piece of the globe's second largest motorcycle market, where five times the motorists prefer two wheels to four.

Just don't expect to get your hands on one if you live within the world's largest motorcycle market as the U.S. is not slated to be included in the distribution. Maybe by the time we can get our hands on a Mahindra pickup we will be able to source a Mojo to put in the back, but that is probably wishful thinking on both fronts. A complete press release is available to those who make the jump.

September 30, 2010, Mumbai: World class Italian design, raw power, adrenaline and speed. India's bikers can look forward to all this and much more as Mahindra 2 Wheelers' Stallio and Mojo motorcycles made their debut at a high voltage launch in Mumbai today.

"In the last twelve months Mahindra 2 Wheelers has achieved a milestone by registering a sale of 1.5 lac units ? a clear validation of the success of our niche PowerScooters strategy. We are now all geared up to redefine the biking experience in India with the Stallio and the Mojo which are a potent blend of global technology and innovation and will take the category to the next level," said Mr. Anand Mahindra, Vice Chairman and Managing Director, Mahindra Group.

"These world class bikes are worthy additions to the Mahindra 2 Wheelers product portfolio and are part of our commitment to establish a robust, end-to-end two wheeler business in every segment of the industry," said Mr. Anoop Mathur, President Two Wheeler Sector and Member of the Group Executive Board, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.

"Both bikes incorporate world class R&D and design elements from our Bologna, Italy based design house, Engines Engineering and are best suited for Indian biking conditions.

The Stallio offers a host of features unheard of in its segment and is ideal for the avant-garde young executive or businessman who desires a rugged and reliable yet stylish bike. We are delighted to have Aamir Khan, the brand ambassador for the Stallio, present at the launch today, as he personifies Mahindra's can do spirit, capturing the imagination of the masses. The Mojo is a performance oriented, power packed bike and is the ultimate machine for motorcycle enthusiasts who are passionate about biking," he added.

The Stallio was unveiled by actor, producer and director, Aamir Khan, whose thought provoking movies have served to both entertain and inspire an entire generation of young Indians.

"Mahindra is a solid company with very strong and long standing goodwill. The bike that the Mahindra Group is launching, the Stallio, is a stylish bike offering consumers a great sense of comfort. It's a complete bike that offers safety, style and peace of mind. I am sure it will soon be one of India's iconic brands. I am very pleased to be associated with the Mahindra's and the Stallio," said Aamir.

The Mahindra Stallio is available in two variants ? Self Start / Cast Alloy wheels / Digital Console and Kick Start / spoke wheels which are available at Rs.44,699/- and 41,199/- (ex showroom Pune), respectively, while the Mahindra Mojo is priced at Rs. 1.75 lac/- (ex showroom Pune). The Stallio will be available at 370 Mahindra 2 Wheelers dealerships across the country. The Stallio comes with a four year manufacturer's warranty. The distribution model for Mojo will be different and therefore, would be available only in select outlets.

The Mahindra Stallio and Mojo are all set to storm the motorcycle segment with their sleek, sporty contours, Italian styling and comfort. The bikes incorporate design elements from the Italian boutique design house, Engines Engineering which has worked for marques such as Ducati, MV Augusta and Benelli.

Conquer your roads with the Mahindra Stallio

Biking will soon take on a whole new dimension with this powerful steed. The Mahindra Stallio is a tough and durable bike with several stylish features which puts it in a distinct motorcycling segment. These include digital speedometer, powerful LED tail lamps, pilot LED lamps and a fully flush fuel tank cap.

The Stallio incorporates a convenient, pro touch electric start which allows you to take off at the touch of a button, even in heavy traffic conditions. The multi reflector headlamp coupled with LED lighting with clear lens indicators in the headlamp, tail lamps and pilot lamps enhance front and rear visibility, making night riding a safe experience. These LED lights are more resistant to failures from vibration, generate almost no heat and consume very little power.

The bike's chassis features a rugged, double cradle frame, ensuring greater stability and less possibility of deformation in future. The superior braking system, more responsive controls that perform well in a variety of conditions, including water and mud, makes the Stallio a very safe bike. The sturdy rear grab rail offers the pillion rider a firm grip, ensuring safety.

The large, fully digital display ? the first in this segment ? comes equipped with a speedometer, fuel gauge, tachometer and clock. It also gives you an idea of the distance travelled in one trip. The Stallio's visor features a sharp, inverted arrow design which is sure to stop traffic when you zoom past. This nifty bike sports cool racing style alloy wheels which are strong and lightweight. They not only provide more stability at corners but also have better tolerance to shocks and ensure good heat dissipation. These trendy alloys are complemented by class leading wheel base of 1265 mm which provide a stable ride and good ground clearance. The fuel tank cap blends seamlessly with the body of the bike, further adding to its style quotient.

The Stallio is available in a choice of five shades ? Derby Red, Colt Black, Equus Blue, Buckskin Yellow and Ranch Green.

Mojo Magic

Think Flower Power. Think groovy classic style but with a contemporary twist. Think Mahindra Mojo.

A testosterone packed 300 cc bike with cool retro styling, the Mojo blends the best of global motorcycle technology and design. It is a handcrafted machine and a one of its kind lifestyle motorcycle which will soon go into production. Mahindra 2 Wheelers has, in fact, devised a unique marketing and promotion strategy for this ultimate performance bike which will be revealed when the bike will be available for sale in the next 3-4 months.

This modern classic is driven by a 4V DOHC engine which offers peak power of 26 BHP @ 8500 rpm and maximum torque of 24 Nm @ 7000 rpm, making it a performance biker's dream come true. It also features a 6 speed gearbox, as opposed to the regular 5 speed gearbox found amongst its peers, along with a sporty dual exhaust for the right propulsion.

The Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system has been developed by Ducati Energia of Italy. In an industry first, the Mojo sports inverted front shock absorbers developed by Paioli of Italy, which ensures superior shock absorbing ability at high speeds. This is complemented by a horizontally mounted mono shox at the rear, allowing for much more comfortable ride. Radially mounted assembly also helps in accurate braking.

The Mojo is the first ever motorcycle in India to sport Pirelli tubeless radials. They are also the widest tyres in their class (4" x 17" at the rear), ensuring greater stability. These are complemented by edgy front petal disc brakes which are the largest in the segment at 320 mm to ensure safe braking. There's a disc brake at the rear as well.

The bike also features LED pilot lamps and tail lamps with clear lens indicators in the headlamp, ensuring greater visibility for the rider. The display includes a digital speedometer with fuel gauge, tripmeter, gear shift indicator, and analogue tachometer. The bike also sports indicators on the rear view mirrors, which are not seen on Indian bikes.

This showstopper sports an aerodynamic 'tear drop' shape and a classic gold frame assembly with twin headlamps adding to the bike's distinctly retro look. The dual pipe frame adds strength to the overall structure of the bike, while the under cowl enhances the Mojo's macho appeal. This 'exoskeleton' look is usually only found in top notch brands.

The Mojo is available in a choice of two colours ? red and black. Customers also have the option of customising their bikes with a range of decals.

The Two Wheeler Sector of Mahindra aims to design and market a full range of scooters and motorcycles for the Indian and global markets, thus establishing a robust and end-to-end two-wheeler business in every segment of the industry.

The company's Power Scooters portfolio caters to a range of consumer segments. The Mahindra Rodeo with its very innovative, contemporary features is popular amongst the Indian youth, while the Mahindra Duro is positioned as a family scooter. The Flyte is the Indian woman's two-wheeler of choice.

So what do you guys think? Would you ever buy a cheap Indian motorcycle with an engine from China to carry in the back of your cheap Indian Pik-Up?

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/10/01/mahindras-30-mpg-diesel-powered-pik-up-gets-driven.jpg

I think there's a place for the Pik-Up in the US for those who want cheap transportation (the role the soon-to-be-discontinued Ranger fills), but at a time when cars are being traded for scooters and real motorcycle manufacturers are bringing out new models in a thinning market... It's probably good Mahindra isn't set to bring these to the US just yet.

If I were buying an Indian motorcycle it'd be a Royal Enfield:

RoyalEnfieldBullet350.jpg

Mahindra products are always crude... I dont see how they can take over the likes of Honda or Suzuki with this

Mahindra products are always crude... I dont see how they can take over the likes of Honda or Suzuki with this
It's cheap like borscht. That's how.

That bike looks like a Bayformer.......never a good thing.

I imagine it would be fairly crappy, but if it were brought over here at that price and with a warranty, I know I'd give it consideration as a first bike.

The headlights make it look like it is wearing aviator goggles.

I can see the appeal of a $1000 bike for college students as a cheap way to commute to and from classes.

I know there's an appeal for small, tossable motorcycles, but 110cc is borderline moped territory.

I get around alright in an urban setting on my little 50cc Honda so more than twice as many ccs would be plenty for a shortish city commute. Not to mention the 100+ mpg fuel economy more than makes up for any performance shortfalls.

That's smaller than a Yamaha Zuma scooter (125cc)

It looks good but it doesn't stands good that to an ''agressive'' design like that to put a 110cc engine.At least a 125cc engine would go better to it.But I wouldn't buy that motorcycle.It looks good but wouldn't buy it.

It looks good but it doesn't stands good that to an ''agressive'' design like that to put a 110cc engine.At least a 125cc engine would go better to it.But I wouldn't buy that motorcycle.It looks good but wouldn't buy it.

Err, read the bit that Blind_Io bolded in the article. The bike pictured is the 300cc one.

I can see the appeal of a $1000 bike for college students as a cheap way to commute to and from classes.

This. I'd love to have a cheap bike just to muck around in.

Except over here they're like $2000 for a half-decent one.

Worth the extra bit of $$$ to avoid the headaches.

$2500+ for a 250cc bike though.