Ownership Verified: BCS repeatedly breaks, fixes, and re-breaks his Jeep

:rofl: You guys continue to rock.

Progress has stalled for a bit as the guy with the 5.9 had to attend a work emergency up north and the motor is in a storage area somewhere in Calgary. That even forestalls rebuilding the 5.2 as I would need the 5.9's heads for it. Argh.

There's a torx/torque pun out there but I just can't find it.

When Clarkson said the car needed more torques, I don't think this is what he had in mind.

Well, I should probably throw out an update. Going with the 5.9L plus the higher-lift 5.2L camshaft. Picked up the crankshaft from the machine shop today, it cleaned up beautifully. Heads are with my head guy for valve & seat machining and new guides/seals/etc. Block is at the machine shop to be bored out to a 6.0L. All the rebuild bits (seals, pumps, bearings, timing set, HE pistons, moly rings, etc) ship to me on Monday, along with the Transgo HD2 shift kit that's going into the transmission I picked up on Saturday. Also bought a set of 5 more BFG Mud Terrain KM tires from a guy taking them off his 2010 Rubicon, they've got 96% tread, less than a year old and I got them for 25% of the price of new rubber - couldn't pass that deal up. It's been an expensive week. It also means that I own enough parts to build two complete drivetrains, minus a set of 5.2 pistons. :lol:

Heading to the boneyard tomorrow to pick up a 5.9 harmonic balancer, a drivers-side motor mount, and lots of Dodge Neon fuel injectors. Yeah, Neon injectors. The set of Bosch injectors I rebuilt would probably work OK in the 5.9, but at 19# they'd be working at a much higher duty cycle than I'm comfortable with. The Neon injectors are 23# units (stock 5.9 are 22.5#) and are apparently an even better design than the other ones I had. Go figure.

She won't likely be ready for another 4 weeks or so due to time constraints, but at least things are meandering in a vaguely forward fashion.

Last edited:
Sounds like progress.

I'm stoked to see/hear the finished product.

Maybe we can even get some action shots in video?! :)

Good to hear it's progressing, hopefully moar update pics soon \o/

Apparently more torx wasn't the solution.

I disagree, a bigger torx will definitely be better

Last edited:
Well, the rebuild will at least result in more torxques from his engine. Still, sounds epic, good luck in bringing it to a good end. Don't forget to properly torque all nuts and bolts.

Last edited:
So, update time. The guy who sold me the heads/block claimed he had the heads checked for cracks, but clearly was bullshitting me as I had them magnafluxed and they were both cracked. Totally fixable, but still annoying. Going to have to get the block fluxed before boring as I need to know for certain that it's OK. Still waiting for rebuild parts to ship in from the States, along with a 5.9 motor mount and new U-joint straps for the D44A. All other parts are ready to go, as this came in today:

6bfee365.jpg

Was going to install the kit today, but the GF's car needed a front hub replacement and that ate up a lot of my day. Had time to clean up the trans in prep the other day, and discovered the OEM cooler line with inline anti-drainback valve were replaced with an aftermarket setup, likely due to the crap OEM valve gumming up. It was definitely a surprise to find a hunk of purple anodized aluminum under all the mud, haha.

6f7316ff.jpg

2b68cd25.jpg

How's it coming? You mentioned that you were sending the block off to get machined? Did it happen?

I actually just got a call about an hour ago saying the block ready to be picked up! I had the shop do a complete magnaflux and it came back clean, so they bored it out right after the piston debacle. Everything is set to go for this weekend, I am missing precisely 3 parts right now - a temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, and a heater hose. The hose is the only one being a bit difficult, haha.

As an update, I got the shift kit installed yesterday, and painted the exhaust manifolds. Everything else has just been getting parts cleaned for reinstall and buying lots of fluids, haha.

3040e21e.jpg

b7a3e6e7.jpg

d02bc9da.jpg

29e889cb.jpg

f7384232.jpg

Good to hear!

Damn, the innards of auto trannys always look so cool.

Yeah, valve-bodies = witchcraft.

Look like we've got our first legit snowfall going on tonight - I looked into having my Mud-Terrains siped, Kal-Tire quoted me $25/tire. So I went and bought an Ideal siping/grooving knife online for $60 instead.

We are suposed to get snow on saturday (slush thurs and friday) I'm kinda wishing I had my Jeep so I could go out in the snow and have fun!

We are suposed to get snow on saturday (slush thurs and friday) I'm kinda wishing I had my Jeep so I could go out in the snow and have fun!

You're being a bit optimistic. There will be two snow flakes and a foot of rain. :p

You're being a bit optimistic. There will be two snow flakes and a foot of rain. :p

That's what I heard for thurs/friday, but saturday is suposed to be full snow sticking.