Which of the three drivers is the better driver ?

Which of the three drivers is the better driver ?

• Total voters

Firminator

Car(s)
Lexus IS250
Which of the three top gear presenters do you think is the better driver ?

In-terms of car control and versatility.

Last edited:
Which of the three top gear presenters do you think is the better driver ?
If you mean "faster", you should write it ... "better" is a much too wide term.

Interrobang, i was just going to ask the same question. It depends on what you mean by better, fastest, good car control, versatility, flamboyantly or courteously.

Well you can't really give a proper answer, because you don't see Hammond and May driving or testing AS MUCH as Jeremy does. So you kind of have to say Jeremy..

Last edited:
Is someone who causes no trouble on public roads a better or worse driver than someone who can hoon about on an air strip?

Well, in terms of faster, I believe Clarkson was the fastest of the three when they were making that 24hour race film?

i think JC is probably faster with hammond really not too far behind.. but i reckon JM, if he put his mind to it would be the best driver,he just has that mindset for practice makes perfect

We've seen May driving at speed, in various supercars on various mountain roads, plus he's been tutored by Sir Jackie Stewart and Mika H?kkinen. I'm not sure if the Veyron runs count since that was more a matter of just "giving it the beans".
Anyway, he might not be able to pull off a powerslide as well as Clarkson, but overall I'm thinking of him as the most capable driver, a bit too polite to hoon.

I think James might be a very smooth driver if he puts in the effort, but I doubt that either him and Richard have the feel through the corners that Jeremy has.
I've noticed some interesting details on Jeremy's driving lately.

from the film with James driving with Sir Jackie Stewart, I'd say he's potentially the best but as it stands it has to be Jeremy, due to his experience if nothing else.

Jeremy is the most experienced out of all of them, hes been doing car shoes for years. Also he is more skilled when it comes to powerslides etc, and im rather sure he was the quickest at Le Mans.

Gotta go with Clarkson on this one. Sure, with lots of practice and patience May could probably get up to near the same standard, but he just doesn't have that killer instinct, competitiveness and, dare I say it, drive. Hammond is too short to reach the pedals.

Judging from how Hammond holds the steering wheel, I doubt he's really fast.
He should take some lessons from Tiff Needell!
But yeah, the Hamster is definately the bravest!

I do think James is the wildcard tho, we dont really know how fast he is, but we do know he improved immensely when driving with Sir Jackie Stewart.

Last edited:
Having seen Hammond and Clarkson at Top Gear Live 18 months ago .. I would put Clarkson in front of Hammond. Their entry was in a Gallardo and an R8, Clarkson managed a nice four wheel drift, Hammond's entry was rather mundane in comparison (well, my mother would have managed a more entertaining entry .. to be frank). I would put May in front of Hammond too .. mainly because he hasn't had as many publicised stacks as Hammond.