Used D200 vs. new D90

amazon.com has announced a 11/15/10 release date for the D7000 KIT (with the 18-105mm lens) only, no announced release date for the body only, yet.

Hmm, Amazon UK have the body only release date as the 29th October. I'll be going for the body and the 18-70mm unless I change my mind. Would the 18-105mm VR be worth an extra ?50 over the non-VR 18-70mm? I already have the 55-200mm so don't want the lens to overlap too much, and I'm wary of the 18-55mm build quality.

Or you could go for the ultimate standard zoom for a Nikon DX camera, the 17-55/2,8... :p

I'm given to understand the 18-70 is a better lens, plus it's a bit faster.

Thanks, I expect the 18-70 to be a bit better for the price and I don't need VR on a standard lens (haven't had it so far).

Or you could go for the ultimate standard zoom for a Nikon DX camera, the 17-55/2,8... :p

If only. I'd still be paying it off in 3 years time. :lol:

Last edited:
Apparently Best Buy USA (no idea what the UK equivalent is supposed to be) already has D7000 kits in stock, time locked for release date set for tomorrow in stores nationwide. Best Buy preorders online say that if you order today delivery date is estimated from 10/16-10/22 (tomorrow to next fri). We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reading this, I had to turn to my camera bag and give a loud sigh to my ancient but reliable D50. It only has had maybe 20k shutter closes, but it is starting to seem old.

Why I still :heart: my D40: (this goes for the D50, D70 and variants, as well)

1. Tape over iTTL contacts on hotshoe
2. Attach flash
3. Full-power flash at any shutter speed! (no FP sync necessary)
4. ????
5. Profit!

:D

Using an off-camera RF flash trigger, you can only sync up to 1/2500th, to account for signal transfer, but that's still pretty dang fast.

Last edited:
But I love it to bits still and will never sell it, have it as a backup for when I get something new. God knows when that will be.

:lol: Exactly my sentiments. :)

Unfortunately I don't have quite the same feelings for my D40. It's a good little camera, but I'd much rather have the money for it to put towards the new camera instead of having it sitting around unused. I never knew about the flash trick, something to try before it's sold next week (assuming the guy at work still wants it).