Dear American FG members, help me find and purchase a rwd, V8 powered exotic!

How about a Ford with a Cummins engine?

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2000266186.html

(Yes, it's a joke.)

That one would probably be even more useful than the pick-up! But does it do a burn-out...? :D

Here are pics of what I am talking about. Can get this for $3k.

Thanks, looks great, but need a crew-cab.

Looks good, apart from the maroon interior, what do you think about this one: http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1986410191.html ?

There's a number of them in Houston, and I'm looking into them.

I'll be back in Houston from 4-5 November and will have most of the 4th free (I'm meeting my mom down there) so any candidates can be looked at for final approval (if needed) then. Some other ones have shown up up here, so we'll see about those too.

Yes, the Cummins-powered bus can do a burnout.

Pretty sure this one is 454 gas powered, but you get the idea. :mrgreen:

There's a number of them in Houston, and I'm looking into them.

I'll be back in Houston from 4-5 November and will have most of the 4th free (I'm meeting my mom down there) so any candidates can be looked at for final approval (if needed) then. Some other ones have shown up up here, so we'll see about those too.

Yes, the Cummins-powered bus can do a burnout.

Great, can't wait!

Talking of burnouts, how much $ do you think this guy has put into his truck to be able pull of this...?

Nothing more than the cost of a tank of diesel, depending on which configuration and tires he's got. Many can do that dead stock. That one's had an exhaust and it's got a lift, but my neighbor's truck could do that too and his is 100% stock.

There's a reason we don't have to complain about slow caravans in this country - because they're all being towed by monsters like that one. They can pull an almost five metric tonne trailer at over 140kph.

Last edited:
Nothing more than the cost of a tank of diesel, depending on which configuration and tires he's got. Many can do that dead stock. That one's had an exhaust and it's got a lift, but my neighbor's truck could do that too and his is 100% stock.

There's a reason we don't have to complain about slow caravans in this country - because they're all being towed by monsters like that one. They can pull an almost five metric tonne trailer at over 140kph.

:jawdrop:as Lawrence would say; Fuckin' A, man! and I'll add god bless America!

:jawdrop:as Lawrence would say; Fuckin' A, man! and I'll add god bless America!

Now do you see why the Sprinter, as nice as it is, really hasn't made huge inroads over here? It's cleaned up most what used to be the 'half-ton' van market, but the 250/350 class it simply has been unable to crack. Remember, those are the class of vans that can come with these big diesel engines too. And within ten percent of the 'efficient' yet massively underpowered little Euro diesels' fuel economy, too.

Europe may know how to make cars better than we do, and I will cheerfully concede that. But European makers have a lot to learn about making trucks and truck engines. (For example, when Mercedes owned Chrysler, they'd thought about replacing the 5.9L Cummins industrial truck engine found in the Ram Heavy Duty trucks with the 3.XL diesel V6 out of the E-class. There were mass protests over that one; but the fact that Mercedes corporate could not understand just how bad an idea that was underlines the depth of incomprehension.)

Last edited:
Hey avanti, if you want to see the really sick stuff we do with diesel trucks, look for propane injected diesels.

Does anyone make bed cap's similar to this box, i.e. that goes on top of the bed instead of replacing it?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2015078565.html

f350box.jpg

Why don't you just buy that one you say? Well it doesn't look very nice, and I want to have the possibility to take it of when I don't need it .

I am also tempted to get a second project/daily driver truck that is much smaller than the F350, and I love the third gen Chevy C/K! What do you think?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/2016736627.html

I also love the C/K trucks... they are pretty tough too. Probably not up to the task of the F250, but it'd make for a fun project.

As for the box truck bed, it is possible to find canopy's similar to that, but you won't find something that big unless you are willing to straight up remove the bed. (also most box trucks are duallies)

I think you are right.

Something like this would be better (if they made it a bit higher), in the end I guess I could just weld together a steel structure the size I need and cover it with tarpaulin.

AnimatedOpeningSmall.gif

And ducttape, lots of ducttape,
For the ultimate : "OMFG what the hell is that weirdo in that huge weird thing doing NOW? look :p

Just make sure you secure it correctly, on the way to work today I was behind a truck as a tarp came off and it started spilling its contents all over the highway... luckily mostly empty cardboard boxes.

And ducttape, lots of ducttape,
For the ultimate : "OMFG what the hell is that weirdo in that huge weird thing doing NOW? look :p
Of course, I never leave the house without ducttape (and a swiss-army knife)!

Just make sure you secure it correctly, on the way to work today I was behind a truck as a tarp came off and it started spilling its contents all over the highway... luckily mostly empty cardboard boxes.

Of course, it will be done properly, it will be tarptastic!

Are they shooting a Starsky and Hutch sequel near you?

The later the better for the 9th gen. 1997, the last year, is the best.

What are the main differences between a 95-96-97 truck, what has been improved and has the engine (powerstroke) changed?
Transmission wise I presume most of the autos are the 4 speed OD? What kind of 4x4 system does it have?

I don't see why you don't want a deuce and a half? (yes, this is my obligatory posting of a vehicle with which I'm infatuated, and which I will likely never own). :D

Edit: the 4x4 system on the '95 '96, and '97 Ford F-250 and F-350 was fixed torsion bar with locking differential and low range.

Last edited: