The Android thread

Currently flashing Bionix Fusion 1.0

Completely removes TouchWiz, and lets me use stock android! (FINALLY) As well as OC/UV, etc.
Ive been using Damage Control Mod on my Evo, and have it underclocked. I can only pull 600 on Quadrant, but battery life is epic for this phone. Nearly 2 and a half days on a full charge. :D

EDIT: I just noticed that Damage Control is still based on 2.1. That's odd. Maybe thats part of the low Quadrant score... *shrug*

Last edited:
Ive been using Damage Control Mod on my Evo, and have it underclocked. I can only pull 600 on Quadrant, but battery life is epic for this phone. Nearly 2 and a half days on a full charge. :D

EDIT: I just noticed that Damage Control is still based on 2.1. That's odd. Maybe thats part of the low Quadrant score... *shrug*

My SetCPU is set to 200 min 1200 max, and I get 20% better battery life than with the stock ROM.

^This

If you use setCPU to underclock when you don't need performance and overclock when you do, you have best of both worlds :)

^This

If you use setCPU to underclock when you don't need performance and overclock when you do, you have best of both worlds :)
Thing is, though - I don't notice any real world difference from this over a Stock rom, or my old Nexus that had a 2300 benchmark score. *shrug*

Couple of questions after using Cyanogen for a while, coming from Sense (which I am really starting to miss for a number of reasons):

1) Any ideas for a quick way to adjust media volume? Maybe a widget? This was in the Settings menu on Sense.

2) Ever since switching, it seems like when I open apps, they often default to "landscape" mode and require some goading to go into portrait, which I use 90% of the time. It doesn't go back to landscape while in use or anything, just sometimes right when an app is launched. It's as if landscape is the default setting. This was the opposite in Sense, and I prefer it that way. Any ideas?

3) Related to the above, is there a way to recalibrate the motion sensor? In Sense this was also in the settings menu, but now I can't find it. I'm thinking it's at least possible that it's the cause of 2)

1) Doesn't the volume rocker adjust media volume when media is playing?

2) In sense you could lock the orientation in settings, apps that only run in landscape will do so regardless.

1) Doesn't the volume rocker adjust media volume when media is playing?

2) In sense you could lock the orientation in settings, apps that only run in landscape will do so regardless.

1) Well, yes, but what if it isn't? It's more of a preventative measure at work ;). Current workaround is to launch the media player without playing, and then volume rocker works. Also some apps (like that Tetris one) stupidly have their own volume.

2) I do use landscape sometimes, I just use portrait way more often. I didn't lock the orientation in Sense because I didn't need too. Apps just seem to like to start in landscape now for no apparent reason.

Thanks though.

Ewwwww @ the trial and error method... however the post immediately below it looks promising. Guess this is what I get for going the custom rom root...

EDIT: Sure enough, pitch is about right but roll shows -5 at level. I'll give it a try when I get home.

Last edited:
As for the rotation issues, if you boot into recovery and go into the wipe menu, you should be able to wipe rotation settings. I've never understood what that does, but it seems like the sort of thing that might help with your problem.

So my dad has the same Hero as I do, and for whatever reason, it's been dog slow lately. Specifically, the messaging app was terrible, and Handcent wasn't any better. He couldn't delete any messages. There was a lot of other slowdown in general.

Not sure what he did to get it that way, but for good measure I'm currently flashing Cyanogen.

^I had the same issue on my Hero, deleting messages took godawful long and hancent oftenly FC'd, I just did a full wipe and all was back in good working order.

Not a chance in a hell that was taken on a cell phone, even a 1080p capable one. Almost certainly a digital SLR with video capability.

EDIT: hmm... I didn't watch the video in 720p, the image indeed is far sharper than normal, not to mention the audio quality. Could be a purpose camcorder or a higher-end point and shoot, still doesn't match DSLR level of quality, though.

Last edited:
Just break it down. It has all the issues involved with a DSLR taking video. Rolling shutter issues, only has focus in one zoom level, the guy who took it zoomed in really fast, and a bunch of other stuff that makes it pretty obvious to me that that is what it is. I have a Canon T2i (essentially the guts of the 7d in a cheaper housing) and my video looks very similar to that when dumped directly onto Youtube. Don't really want to argue it, but my original point stands.........whatever it is, it could use a steadycam.

Yeah, those are quite cheap. I specced out mine to be far better than my Desire and I'd end up paying a lot less. Someone needs to go for it and do a proper review so build quality and reliability are reviewed.