Random Thoughts....

Another cat got into the house on Hallowe'en. My cat is still traumatized. She stares at the front door with great suspicion, or hides behind the chair.

Whatever brand is mentioned, someone will say avoid at all costs. I have an Acer, despite being told multiple times not to, and its fine. As it would be if it were an HP or Dell or any other make. Try to stick to a known brand though, but other than that - get the cheapest that covers all your bases and then some.

We'll see how it is in a years time. ;)

So am I the only one who got a PM from a dude name "stx53550" that told me to remove myself from the gene pool? What a pleasant guy.....

I've had my Acer netbook for two years and it's still doing very well.

Mine's missing the rubber feet :p (a $3 repair I haven't gotten around to yet)

But their netbooks seem to be better than their notebooks. My monitor is also Acer and my only complaint is narrow vertical viewing angle.

Hah, forgot to mention, my second monitor is an Acer CRT from the late 90s :lol:

Well you know you have attention issues if I can't even concentrate on final gear.

Last edited:
Yeah you've got to see a doctor about that.

Oh, yeah so I presented my stupid Powerpoint of terribleness today. I'm pretty sure I did quite awfully. Instructor said I had enough pictures, but I needed to talk about one in particular more. I told him I wasn't sure about timing and making the presentation too long (and myself being too rabbly) and all that but he seemed to understand that.

Also, I just wanted to mention I really hate Powerpoint. I won't be working in corporate situations I think, but I don't really want to present things either.

(Also, whenever I drink energy drinks I always want to go to bed about 4-6 hours later.)

Any of those Uni convenience shops are expensive as shit. They have you by the balls because as a college student you are lazy and don't want to walk all the way to a proper store slightly off campus in between classes.

They have us on more than lazyness. Anyone living in a dorm is REQUIRED to get a meal plan, minimum $1,600/semester. I could go to about a dozen places off campus and eat for under $10 a meal, which is around what their rate comes out to, and then I'd have food that actually is edible! But nooo, we must pay for terrible, overpriced food thanks to what amounts to be a regulated monopoly. If Microsoft can be sued for "unfair business practices", can Sodexo?

I agree, it's that way at my University as well. I decidedly went against dorm living. I wouldn't be able to tolerate it. You know, they even have private dorms too which are just as bad. (Apparently they hassle you to always upgrade to a better room too.)

And yeah, the convenience stores are always too expensive, which is pathetic because my university is right down the street from nearly all of the great eateries in the town. (I just give up and walk for food sometimes. It's cheaper.)

<awful SD news channel>

"Go fuck yourself, San Diego."

On behalf of my fellow diegans, I facepalm and apologize.

But also, in defense, when the beach and the sun are just a few feet away, who the fuck cares about proper news? :p

They have us on more than lazyness. Anyone living in a dorm is REQUIRED to get a meal plan, minimum $1,600/semester. I could go to about a dozen places off campus and eat for under $10 a meal, which is around what their rate comes out to, and then I'd have food that actually is edible! But nooo, we must pay for terrible, overpriced food thanks to what amounts to be a regulated monopoly. If Microsoft can be sued for "unfair business practices", can Sodexo?

Required? Mine was optional to have and various options existed. I took the lowest one possible and ate elsewhere the rest of the time. Also as a student they can't FORCE you to live in dorms( if they make you have to have a meal plan as a dorm resident), so if you want to take a more economical route get an apartment and cook for yourself. Dorms are great part of college living, but it's really training wheels for living on your own. Anyways they are overpriced and shit, so I moved out in second semester of freshman year.

Whatever brand is mentioned, someone will say avoid at all costs.
This. For example, my mothers laptop is a Toshiba, supposedly one of the most reliable brands. It had to go back to the shop for repair within weeks due to the RAM failing. I have a Compaq, the poor persons' HP, and it's fine. I have no complaints. But my advice is buy whichever has the specs you want for the best price, as long as it's a known brand. You can't really buy a laptop that is catastrophically bad these days.

Lookin for a lil help from FG.

I'm a student and my Laptop died (like really dead) at possibly the worst possible timing.
I buying a new laptop within the next 24 hours but want to know what brands to avoid.
My current dead one is an HP but I hold no grudge, I beat the crap out of it.
Macs won't do as I hate the new touchpad.
Any suggestions? I'll be buying at Staples or Best Buy and my budget is $800-1200

(I know this should be in Technology but this sees more traffic and it's urgent)

Lenovo's ThinkPad line. You'll get less bang per buck than from the competitors, but a much better built quality in exchange.

Another cat got into the house on Hallowe'en. My cat is still traumatized. She stares at the front door with great suspicion, or hides behind the chair.

My -sadly by now deceased- cat would have given the intruder quite a beating. But she was an outdoors cat, so beating up other cats (and getting beaten up) was one of her favourite activities.