MLB '11 off-season Thread (Hot Stove!)

Whappeh

Car(s)
05 Nissan Xterra 4x4
So now that we have a decent World Champion who doesn't reside in a shithole called The Bronx, we can have our off-season thread!

1) How much will the Yankees spend?

2) Where will Cliff Lee fall?

3) Trade rumors involving your team?!

4) Will the Cubs be unsuccessful next year!?

1) more than anyone else
2) MFYankees
3) More free agent rumors than trade rumors, however I think both Matsuzaka and Ellsbury are on the block more so Ellsbury if we pick up Crawford.
4) Define unsuccessful?

1) Way too much for old, underperforming players.
2) Yanks
3) Lots of question on the FA we have like Huff, Uribe, Ross, and etc. We need to decided who we keep and let go which might be tough but they are older guys. Also the status on Zito as he was never activated for the post season yet he makes the most money on the pitching staff. Also Jonathan Sanchez is up in the air, I think he is near the end (if not the end) of his original contact but the question is do we keep him and try to trade him for a bat or just hope he improves.
4) Now that we have our WS, I dont mind the cubs getting one :p

DAMN YOU TELETUBBY!

Close/merge threads :(

Oh, I`m sure you guys know about it, but I`ll post it here anyways...MLBtraderumors is my go to source for hot stove info.

Edit: just saw on there that J.P Ricciardi was hired as a special assistant to new Mets GM Sandy Alderson. I really enjoyed J.P as an analyst on ESPN.

Last edited:
By the way... 103 days until Pitchers and Catchers report. :D

Just got back from the World Series parade :) Sorry teletubby that is something you will never experience :p

Sorry teletubby that is something you will never experience :p
You're an evil man, I asked politely. :(

I hope you enjoyed it to the fullest because there's no way you're getting back next year. :p

Just a few hours until negotiations can begin between teams and players! Who signs first? I'm praying the Cubs can land Dunn for a semi-reasonable price.

Last edited:
Jeter is officially not a Yankee right now, and is a Free Agent.
Same with Cliff Lee.

That obviously means that they'll both end up in Pinstrips unless the Rangers do the right thing and offer Lee more money.

ESPN Breaks Up ?Sunday Night Baseball? Team

ESPN ended its 20-year association with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan as the voices of ?Sunday Night Baseball? on Monday. They declined to renew Morgan?s contract and have asked Miller if he wants to stay on as the radio voice of the Sunday night games. Discussions are ongoing.

?We?ve decided to make a change and introduce new voices and new perspective,? said Norby Williamson, an executive vice president of ESPN. He added: ?Twenty one years is an eternity in this business. And today is about acknowledging the contributions they made to the franchise.?

Each announcer is a Hall of Famer. Morgan entered as a player in 1990 and Miller received the Ford C. Frick Award from the hall earlier this year in recognition of broadcasting excellence.

It is nearly certain that Miller will be replaced by Dan Shulman, who will be joined by Orel Hershiser, whom ESPN added to ?Sunday Night? last season. Bobby Valentine might be the third voice if he does not get a managing job. Williamson declined to talk about the new team.

Miller is the lead play-by-play voice for the San Francisco Giants, calling games on radio and TV. He could take ESPN?s offer and shift to radio (where he has been calling the postseason for years) or increase his workload on Giants games. Miller?s decision could be delayed because he is on vacation.

Ron Shapiro, Miller?s agent, said, ?Jon is away. We?ve talked briefly. ESPN has offered him a radio package with some breadth to it, and he?ll think things over. He just has to think it through.?

In his acceptance speech at the Hall of Fame, Miller said that the seminal moment of his life came at age 10 when his father and godfather took him to his first Giants game at Candlestick Park. He was pleasantly amused to see through his binoculars that the visiting team?s announcer was munching on big handfuls of french fries during the play-by-play.

?And as a 10-year,? he said, ?I sat there and said, ?That is the life for me.? ?
YES. THANK YOU, JESUS.

Awards begin being handed out tomorrow with the AL Gold Gloves. :)

2010 AL Gold Gloves:

P Mark Buehrle
C Joe Mauer
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Robinson Cano
3B Evan Longoria
SS Derek Jeter
OF Ichiro Suzuki
OF Carl Crawford
OF Franklin Gutierrez

Jeter wins another GG... what a joke.

2010 NL Gold Gloves:

P Bronson Arroyo, Reds
C Yadier Molina, Cardinals
1B Albert Pujols, Cardinals
2B Brandon Phillips, Reds
3B Scott Rolen, Reds
SS Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies
OF Michael Bourn, Astros
OF Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
OF Shane Victorino, Phillies

Tulo finally wins a freaking GG! :D

I'm happy for CarGo as well, but the OF, P, and 3B awards are... questionable at best.

Last edited:
Rolen won it partly on reputation, but I'm fine with the other selections. Bronson Arroyo is a bit odd though.

Dave Niehaus, long time Mariners voice, died this afternoon. I am genuinely shook up at his passing. Damn...

Fly, fly away Dave.