skoda troubles: no life and busted suspension

I assume the lights were not on when initially starting up the car while the suspension was still broken?

It all sounds like the car has been subjected to some massive kind of physical force in a way the constructor did not intend.

only one conclusion :

Somebody dropped a piano on it, then mended it badly:

:hamster::clarkson::james:

ok so further inspection by me once i got home

the noise, is not from the engine bay... its a scraping noise and judging by the big groove in my disc brake, i would imagine theres something lodged between pad and disc

this needs sorting, asap, might get away with it, but if its too bad then add a new pad and disc to the list of repairs

hopefully the warning lights are just a few unplugged wires. else its lots of money to a man with a VAG COM machine to see what the problem is.

i dunno what the fluid is, doesnt seem to be leaking any more....all the levels seem fine. it may of just been some manky water that collected while the car sat. i dropped the car back at tanvic last night and put the keys + a note through their letter box. waiting on their call.

I assume the lights were not on when initially starting up the car while the suspension was still broken?

no all was fine, apart from it feeling like a heffa was sat on the bonnet.

hopefully its just some connectors and hopefully the pad and disc arent damaged too badly.

(Edited to apease GRtak)

Last edited:
Why do you double post so much?

Last edited:
^ its that plus i always always always forget about the multi-quote button.

from then its just a faff to copy n paste a new quote into an old post and then comment on it. i forget people take the interwebz seriously these days.

anyway, got a call back from them... the connector was checked and seems ok, the warning lights have been reset using the VAG machine. they took it on a long test drive and all seems well

apparently the scraping noise isnt something jammed between disc and pad, its the backing plate behind the disc. its out of kilter and rubbing on the disc. this has been rectified. i guess it may of got knocked when they were doing the work, or perhaps it occured when the spring snapped and the car fell onto the bump stops. i dont know, its fixed anyway. will pick it up tonight and see what the score is.

Last edited:
doing what?

seriously, whats with the nazi's today... and if its to do with grammar or spelling or anything like that. read this: i could not, i repeat, could not care any less.

(the proper English way of not caring... not the fucked American version where they seem to like saying i could care less)

As we already got the Godwin behind us, I can as well speak up - you already called another user "Nazi" today. Your lack of spelling and grammar is quite annoying.
Not because I am a Nazi (well, i'm German, so obviously I am...), but because it makes your posts unnecessarily hard to read. Same goes for double posts: It's not about "people taking the interwebz serious", but it's you asking for advice and it's incredibly rude to make every single of your posts and the thread as a whole a pain in the ass to read.

Last edited:
tbh...i totally have no problem with the double posts, he is replying to sth completely different than his first post, and if you want to quote him, you don't have to delete all the stuff that concerns the other topic.

and dr_grip, you are always telling people to be like this, don't act like that, maybe you should stop trying to convert people to your standard?

and dr_grip, you are always telling people to be like this, don't act like that, maybe you should stop trying to convert people to your standard?
I don't want to come across like this, sorry if i do.

FG just is one of the few places on the web where people, mostly, treat each other nicely and i like it this way, which is why i sometimes complain. But if a certain level of decency both in manners, content, wording and spelling is too much of "my standard", i am sorry.

Last edited:
dramatic-monkey-is-dramatic.thumbnail.jpg

I don't want to come across like this, sorry if i do.

FG just is one of the few places on the web where people, mostly, treat each other nicely and i like it this way, which is why i sometimes complain. But if a certain level of decency both in manners, content, wording and spelling is too much of "my standard", i am sorry.

you totally come across like this mate, im sorry but you do.

you might find my crap writing annoying, i find your moaning about it and other peoples writing equally annoying.

i do treat people nicely here, i dont go out of my way to make fun of people or generally shit on them. if they annoy me i usually just keep it to myself. if you think my crap writing is in someway not treating people nicely then, well, im sorry. but its not going to change the way i write, so just suck it up. or better yet put me on your ignore list, then you dont have to read my posts and all this can easily be avoided.

i promise not be upset by you not reading them.

Last edited:
In the name of all that is holy, please stop doing this.

That is annoying, but more to the point, dude:

press-shift-key-to-disable-autorun.png

once in a while. The more frequently you ignore capital letters the more conscious an effort you'll have to make to put them in when you do want them.

Last edited:
you totally come across like this mate, im sorry but you do.

you might find my crap writing annoying, i find your moaning about it and other peoples writing equally annoying.

i do treat people nicely here, i dont go out of my way to make fun of people or generally shit on them. if they annoy me i usually just keep it to myself. if you think my crap writing is in someway not treating people nicely then, well, im sorry. but its not going to change the way i write, so just suck it up. or better yet put me on your ignore list, then you dont have to read my posts and all this can easily be avoided.

i promise not be upset by you not reading them.

It isn't people being grammar "nazis" and such so to speak, it's just that things like incorrect grammar and such (i.e. the capitalisatiuon issue as pointed out by WillDAQ) do make posts harder to read. I know that many people on here browse the forums at night (when they have the time to do so), so they are probably already tired, their eyes are strained, etc. Having to go over posts again and again because you can't get the gist of them is an annoying thing. And when the person who is doing it is a main poster in the thread (i.e. posted more than 3-4 times per page), you get sick of it really quickly.

I normally don't worry about grammar and such as I am (luckily) able to put together the meaning of sentences pretty quickly when they aren't perfectly phrased (and the whole international forum meaning people often aren't speaking/typing English as their first language), but things such as capitalisation are both pretty easy and fundamental to not only all languages, but also ease of reading.

But on topic, glad to hear your car and everything has been fixed. Still amazed that a spring managed to snap! (still want to see photos to judge how much rust could have played in it vs. anything else!)

PS- anybody who wants to point our errors in my post, go ahead- it's 10:30pm here and I've been writing summaries all day. I don't care, I'm tired and going to bed! :p

I won't lie otispunkmeyer, I do have a tendency of not reading your posts due to what had been noted by WillDAQ and brydie76. If it is too hard to read I don't read it.

^fair point

I rarely have anything important to say so i guess its not a great loss to you guys if you don't read it. some people WILL read it regardless and that's fine by me.

Whats more, I don't have a lot of time to actually write my posts so I'm more focused on getting what I want down rather than how easy it is to read. I often type as i would speak it and I'm very scatter brained. Ideas and words never come out in a sensible order, they just come out as I think of them. It ends up as very rough dodgy English, that i guess doesn't translate to paper that well. As I'm from the north east of England, I'm actually very used to people who are not from the north east, not being able to understand what I say. for example I asked for a coke once and ended up with a Coors light. I'm also told that I cant pronounce "ball" and "bowl" in such a way as to make them distinguishable from each other.

I aint changing the way i speak though, that's what defines me and in a way so does how I type.

But I'll tell you what, I'll promise to try type better and take a little more time over my posts, if you guys get of my case and stop being so uppity about it. Plenty of you guys aint so perfect as this stuff either by the way, I notice mistakes here and there (even in this thread while your telling me I'm doing it wrong), I'm just not bothered by it and its really not a chore to fill in the blanks. No body is perfect remember.

and then, if you guys still don't like it then im afraid I'll have to invite you all to put me on your ignore lists. That way you dont have to read my terrible writing and i don't have to read about you moaning about it. Everyone's a winner.

Btw Byrdie, I'm now sure it wasn't rust, that was just present round the edges because of how long it was exposed to the elements. I don't think springs are made of a particularly rust prone material either. This is just a straight mechanical failure, a fracture failure. The trouble with these is you can't always tell when it happened. It could of been on the verge for months, before I went to work in SA. It could of gone at any time and gladly it happened whilst stationary in a car park. That's a little weird I know, but I have zero proof that the car was tampered with or otherwise while I was away.

You can have fractures and cracks in lots of things and never know about it until its too late. I remember at the end of Alex Roy's book, how after he'd crossed the US in 31 hours 40 odd minutes, when the car was checked over they found cracks in both drive shafts and in the suspension. Scary when you realized he was doing 130+ for hours straight at times.

That's much better otispunkmeyer. You don't need perfect writing, just something that is quick to parse and understand.

Well that was an interesting read, glad you got it fixed and the car's alright. I don't know if I'm imagining this but I think that when my mum's Ka went in for it's MOT a year or so ago they found one of the springs was cracked, but it was completely unnoticeable. It wouldn't have had much of a shock to it so who knows how that happened.