Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

It is too much.

Let me explain. If you had bought the car at 150,000 miles and then kept it until 300,000 or more - fine, because you know what you have done to the car and what it needs.

Buying a new old car at 300,000 miles is not such a great idea. There are too many things that may need replacing at this age.

Is 500,000km too much for a 1990 Volvo 240 2.3? What sort of things would you be looking at having replaced at that mileage?

all the suspension bushes, all the window rubbers, most of the electronics, ...

500 000km seems a bit much to me if you don't know the history of the car

On the other hand, most of the wearing parts may have already replaced after 300-400,000km, so with good luck it can be okay. And it should be very easy to see if it's well kept or neglected example after those kilometers. I would check it really well, but they're tought cars. On the other hand, 240 with half the miles can't be that much more expensive.

Found a good looking 1.9 T4 2000 S40. Any thoughts?

I'm a bit worried about the high mileage(186K Km) but it's an import from Holland and if most of those miles are made there, it should be OK. Any problems I should be aware of with this engine? Any incoming costs? When should the timing belt be changed? I really think this has potential to be my first car. Oh, and bodywork checking shouldn't be a problem, I'll get it checked out by a really good bodywork mechanic. If I'll go see the car, that is.

I'm a bit worried about the high mileage(186K Km) but it's an import from Holland and if most of those miles are made there, it should be OK. Any problems I should be aware of with this engine? Any incoming costs? When should the timing belt be changed? I really think this has potential to be my first car. Oh, and bodywork checking shouldn't be a problem, I'll get it checked out by a really good bodywork mechanic. If I'll go see the car, that is.

The fit on that bumper looks suspect......a gap shouldn't be that large even on a 2000 era car.

*mopeyfit*
the stupid dealer sold off my part and now they have my car hostage until they can get a new one :(

*mopeyfit*
the stupid dealer sold off my part and now they have my car hostage until they can get a new one :(

That's not just a mopeyfit that sounds pretty sucky. When my car needed a new cat, they ordered the part then called me when it came in so they could just replace it while I waited.

That is what they did, only fucked up and sold off the part in between calling me and me bringing it in :mad:

A long, deep scratch from the rear wing to the front door on the passenger side of the e34. Appeared between last night and this afternoon.

*sigh*

Everything.
This is what I was thinking.
On the other hand, most of the wearing parts may have already replaced after 300-400,000km, so with good luck it can be okay. And it should be very easy to see if it's well kept or neglected example after those kilometers. I would check it really well, but they're tought cars. On the other hand, 240 with half the miles can't be that much more expensive.
Well, the thing is this car is visually immaculate, it has had 2 owners and costs $1000. To get one with considerably lower mileage, you'd be easily quadrupling that price. A number of things have been replaced, I'll find out what has been done.

Edit: radiator, front wheel bearings, ball joints and trailing arm bushes, starter motor, brake pads, injectors and ECU have all been replaced recently.

Also, if the car was a complete dog, you could just run it into the ground without much loss. It's that cheap and it has 9 months registration (probably worth more than the car itself) so it's still an appealing prospect. And if it isn't a dog it could probably easily run for another 200,000km without major problems.

Last edited:
Friend of mine picked up a '10 RX8, came with a K&N cold air kit. Mother of god does it scream above 7k without the factory air box.

High mileage? What high mileage? :) My Volvo has 265,000 km now.

Timing belt, like with other cars should be changed at 100,000km along with the water pump. At the current mileage, I'd suggest changing them immediately. The engine itself is fantastic. I haven't heard of any big problems with the 1.9T.

After looking at the mazda3 more....I come to one conclusion:

I really like the "smiley face." A lot. :)

Is there a Q-Ship Sedan more perfect than the E39 M5? I think not...

Is there a Q-Ship Sedan more perfect than the E39 M5? I think not...

2003-jaguar-xjr-5w.jpg

95%20jag.jpg

Even less blatant than the M5. No shouty multicolor badging (///M!!!!!!1!!eleventy!!) to give it away, and not even a wider-than-the-regular-car's wheelarch to be seen. You have no idea how many people miss the last character ('R') of the understated bootlid badge and are astonished when they get their doors blown off with the howl of a supercharger.

Edit: Also, unlike the E39, both the X308 and especially the X300 will still be running when all the E39 M5's are hangar queens. One thing that even BMW admits about the M-cars - they're fragile.

Last edited:
volvo1million.jpg

It's a Volvo, they can take it.