The F1 Technical Developments Thread

It makes sense for HRT to replace Dallara with another supplier/development partner. TMG, with it's extensive background in building slightly-below-average F1 cars seems to be a logical choice. I guess that's where the rumors came from.

But, as ahpadt said, adapting the 2010 Toyota to both a Williams-Cosworth drivetrain and 2011 regulations sounds like an impractical idea. On the other hand, partnering with TMG in development of a 2011 car of course means that any knowledge from years of building slightly-below-average cars including the 2010 mystery car will be used in the construction of the 2011 car.

Last edited:
There seems to be quite a lot of talk about that. I found articles in Google that covered this, and they dated back to may-june-july. Though it only said at that point that HRT is 'interested' in using the 2010 mystery car. During the FP1 of Interlagos, the Finnish F1 reporters said that it would cost HRT around 30-40 million ? to facilitate the using of the car.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/toyota-and-hrt-the-full-story/
That's a blog from yesterday which states this, effectively saying HRT are now unsure if it's such a brilliant idea afterall. That's probably where the Finnish reporters got their info.

BTW, wasn't the mystery car used for tyre testing?

No, that was the TF109..2009 car.

Is it just me or rule changes should just be called "The list of ideas engineers had that are now banned" ?
Why can't they let some of the good ones stay?

SPEED's on-track reporter talked about the rumors during FP2 and Qualifying and noted that they appear to be very unlikely to come to pass based on what's he heard around the Interlagos paddock.

30-40 million would be all of HRT's budget, I don't think they'll be going that route unless they find some major sponsorship money.

Since you guys mentioned HRT, I think they performed well considering the Dallara is basically a F1 shaped box with 4 wheels on it. And Klien is infinitely better than Yamamoto. With basically zero development they stayed consistently slower, so decent job there done by Kolles and gang. :)

HRT obviously had a good base car since they kept up with Virgin pretty much all season, without having a single upgrade to it.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/15792?sid=b958b46d029633c12c9f874ae53e0526

This might be old news, but it explains why the brawn had such an unusuall low nose in 2009. Pretty ingenious concept. Ross brawn might remember that for the 2011 car.

It wouldn't be the real nicjasno if you posted a link that wasn't old :p.

Honda?s F1 KERS motor: 60 kW, 21,000 RPM, >7 kg

Super-clever packaging. I think all other KERS units weight around 20kg or thereabout? Some proper engineering happening at Honda!

So Brawn's low nose was a actually a KERS-thing? Wow, I talked about the car's clever things in another thread, but the low nose was about the only thing I couldn't explain. Thanks for this cool info. Just goes to show how seriously Honda took the development to 2009.

It's really weird why the Honda and Toyota team pulled out just as their next years cars were going to be awesome. They put so much effort into it, only to have to pull out. I guess the financial crisis hit the teams at exactly the wrong timing

So Brawn's low nose was a actually a KERS-thing? Wow, I talked about the car's clever things in another thread, but the low nose was about the only thing I couldn't explain. Thanks for this cool info. Just goes to show how seriously Honda took the development to 2009.

Which is weird, because if they did use KERS the car would have been all unbalanced like the ones which ended up using it (not only Ferrari and McL)

Which is weird, because if they did use KERS the car would have been all unbalanced like the ones which ended up using it (not only Ferrari and McL)

Not necessarily. They were putting the bits in different places to the other teams which may have avoided the unbalancing issue. We will never know though.

Rumors about the 2013 engine rules: mandated 1.6l I4 turbo, 88mm bores, direct injection, 100kg\h fuel flow rate.

no boost restriction? nice!

i predict a lot of sliding back ends when coming out of a corner! they'll need some great throttle control