The Ultimate macOS Thread

Yup, running it until the battery is dead should hurt the battery a lot more than plugging it in at 75% every time.

It would be beyond idiotic. I don't want .pkgs or AppStore for everything.

I think no one really wants it apart from the software industry (who'll get an instant solution to most of the piracy problem) and Apple (who, even if they'll give Adobe & Co a discount from their 30% share of any AppStore sales, will make billions in their share from a-few-thousand-dollars software packages).
Thus, the question is not how many users would prefer it not to happen, but how many users would not buy a new Mac or switch to a PC or Linux because of it.
Seeing how well the iPhone, iPad and iPod, despite similar limitations, do, indicates that Apple might have to deal with lots complaints from customers, but with few of them actually leaving.

In fact, a central software and update deployment facility is a brilliant idea both from a security and useability point of view. The only problem is that Apple will not allow you to add your own software sources and decides what gets into their repository and what does not.

The software repositories are one of the majors pros of debian-based Linux flavours like ubuntu. And even there, debian and ubuntu managers decide which software will get into their repository and which won't (debian, for example, bans any software that they think is not free enough, like Firefox). But any user is free to add his own sources to the repository, which leads to projects like Medibuntu providing what the standard sources won't give you.

(as this would allow users to add a "1337 z3r0 d4y w4r3z" repository, Apple would never allow it)

Last edited:
If they go full app store I will probably have to switch to linux.

Also, on the batteries. Newer ones seem to die SIGNIFICANTLY less quickly than the old ones. The one in my old laptop has about 4 months of use and is already at like 50% of original capacity. This one at 4 months is still at 97%...

On the issue of batteries, I like to "break them in", as it were. That is to say, I'll charge a new battery to 100%, then run off of it until it's almost empty and repeat that cycle a couple of times. I also don't like charging half-empty batteries or charging them only partially. So far, that has given me excellent battery life on my mobile phone (2005), iPod 4G (refurbished, bought from eBay in 2006) and laptop.

I think no one really wants it apart from the software industry
It would certainly put a stop to most software pirates, allow the industry to outsource distribution and get rid of logistics. Apple is moving towards streaming/downloading everything anyway (e.g. their stance on Blu-ray), so even downloading large software packages may be on the horizon. I also agree on the advantages of unified update management - mostly because it exists, in a rudimentary form, in OS X and I miss it badly every time I go near a Windows XP machine.

However, I still can't fathom that Apple would alienate its customers by blocking .dmgs - if I couldn't try out a new piece of software every now and then, such as coconutBattery just today, I'd be more than annoyed.

However, I still can't fathom that Apple would alienate its customers by blocking .dmgs - if I couldn't try out a new piece of software every now and then, such as coconutBattery just today, I'd be more than annoyed.
You could get it from the AppStore and remove it from your computer later if you don't like it.

You could get it from the AppStore and remove it from your computer later if you don't like it.
But the developer would have to comply to higher standards, hence loads of apps wouldn't be available anymore. For instance, I used to use RKLauncher (a dock for Windows XP) before I got my Mac. IIRC, it was forever in beta mode, but even the nightly builds were stable or at least stable enough for my liking. I don't think the developer would have had much luck getting them into any kind of AppStore.

Thanks, I'll try it if (when) that problem reoccurs.

But the developer would have to comply to higher standards, hence loads of apps wouldn't be available anymore. For instance, I used to use RKLauncher (a dock for Windows XP) before I got my Mac. IIRC, it was forever in beta mode, but even the nightly builds were stable or at least stable enough for my liking. I don't think the developer would have had much luck getting them into any kind of AppStore.

If the software is not even stable, it could harm the user experience you rightfully expect from a Mac, so the software has no place on a Mac.

I've messed my iTunes logo up trying to get the original green one back, now I have .incs preview image. Nothing I can do will restore it, including reinstalling iTunes. What's wrong?

This sounds obvious, but have you tried starting it up again? Dock icons are only updated when they are running (calendar excepted). You could try trashing the Application itself, then reinstalling. All your data is under your Music and Library folders so you won't loose anything.

It could be. Why are you using a beta? Snow Leopard costs ?25.00.

As far as the whole Mac App store thing goes, I hope they don't decide to lock everything down, blocking disk images and installer packages from outside their walled garden. One of the things I like about OS X is the fact that it's been relatively untouched, that it's far less restrictive than iOS. Sure, leave the Mac App Store for the new switchers who are coming from iPhones and such, but allow the power users to keep on keeping on the "old fashioned" way. Besides, the Mac App Store restrictions are so draconian, that a lot of quality applications won't be allowed into the store.