Autoblog: Shelby builds 1000+ rwhp twin-turbo GT500 prototype

nsx_23

Forum Addict

01-code-red-shelby-gt500.jpg

11-code-red-shelby-gt500.jpg

06-code-red-shelby-gt500.jpg

03-code-red-shelby-gt500.jpg

12-code-red-shelby-gt500.jpg

There's so much going on at SEMA it's all-too easy to miss a few things. And while there are a ton of Mustangs, one would think that this Shelby prototype would have caught our attention ? particularly since we were aware of its existence. Back in September we reported that on some potential future Shelby models, one of which was a 1,000 rwhp twin-turbo GT500.

Nicknamed "Code Red," this particular GT500 was created in collaboration between Shelby American and Nelson Racing Engines ? the same firm responsible for the 1,800 horsepower Mosler MT900S. The heavily modified 5.4-liter V8 features twin 61mm Turbonetics turbochargers along with a dual fuel system that includes cells for both race and street gas as well as an electronic boost controller that can vary boost for each gear.

If Shelby offers a production of the "Code Red" GT500, expect plenty of other goodies to be included like Baer 14-inch brakes, Shelby/Eibach adjustable suspension system, 9-inch Currie rear end, 10-point roll cage, and plenty more? Price tag? Shelby estimates that the package (car not included) would cost around $100,000.

You can get a better look at the Code Red from the photos below courtesy of Nelson Racing Engines, and we've also included a video with Tom Nelson and Shelby's Gary Patterson testing the car out on the street after the jump.

If Shelby keeps the stock exterior that would be epic. Something tells me he'll just put a tacky bodykit on it though, and it definitely won't come cheap.

Actually, how much would it be to build something like this yourselve? I have no idea on US tuning parts prices.

Last edited:
Hmm...still the MY2009 body style?

Well, this is only a prototype, but I secretly hope Shelby will use the stock next-gen shell and not pimp it up like his other creations.

I love this. It reminds of the Aston Martin Vantage V600 - insane power, sane exterior.

Add in around $60k for a well-equipped GT500, and $100k sounds about right.

Wots this? A reasonably priced Shelby?

The Numbers are nice and all ... but where is the use? In the End it just won?t be any faster than if it had (let?s say) 700hp. Only more difficult to keep on the road ...

Only in first and second gear. Once you get to where the 700 HP car is no longer wheelspin limited, the 1,000 HP car will still be accelerating as hard as the tires will allow for some bit more (4th gear?).

So while the 0-60 time might be the same, the 0-120 time might be a whole lot different from 700 to 1,000 horsepower on the same rubber.

Last edited:
[...]Only in first and second gear. Once you get to where the 700 HP car is no longer wheelspin limited, the 1,000 HP car will still be accelerating as hard as the tires will allow for some bit more (4th gear?).

So while the 0-60 time might be the same, the 0-120 time might be a whole lot different from 700 to 1,000 horsepower on the same rubber.
Even living in a country with unrestricted (bits) of autobahn, I still fail to see the point in a roadcar (compared to the extra risk). Honestly, would I drive a 1000hp rwd Mustang flat out on the autobahn? Me? No chance in hell. Give me a 4wd supercar and I?d do it in the blink of an eye. You need to be a bad-ass race-car driver to take a 1000hp rwd mustang and just go flat out in a straight line. This is not managable performance for your avarage driver. But then when I think about it ... maybe that?s makes it cool again. Hmm ... I need to think about this some more. Maybe I do like it ... just not for me :D

We all know what a penis car is. This car is the testical version. It is almost completely useless.

Even living in a country with unrestricted (bits) of autobahn, I still fail to see the point in a roadcar (compared to the extra risk). Honestly, would I drive a 1000hp rwd Mustang flat out on the autobahn? Me? No chance in hell. Give me a 4wd supercar and I?d do it in the blink of an eye. You need to be a bad-ass race-car driver to take a 1000hp rwd mustang and just go flat out in a straight line. This is not managable performance for your avarage driver. But then when I think about it ... maybe that?s makes it cool again. Hmm ... I need to think about this some more. Maybe I do like it ... just not for me :D

It's not for the street. This is for people to take to the drag strip and destroy Lamborghinis. Put some huge, soft racing slicks on it and I bet it would hook up better than you'd think on a road course too. Not pressing the gas as hard as you can is pretty easy.