Deus Ex: Human Revolution

some more stuff has been coming out from E3.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Plays Best Behind Shades

500x_dx_hr_screenshot_adam_takedown1_02.jpg
At E3, Warren Spector, one of the lead people behind the original Deus Ex and now in charge of making an impressive Mickey Mouse adventure, said he was content to not be making a "sunglasses-at-night" video game. Others still make the stuff.
The original Deus Ex from the year 2000 was supposed to be the thinking man's first-person shooter, one that could support varied play styles and reward equally gamers who approached a conflict gun-barrel-first and those who prefer stealth or smooth conversation.
Its successors, the latest of which is Eidos' 2011 prequel Deus Ex: Human Revolution, bear the responsibility of offering gamers that flexibility of choice. They also, because it helps, should be cool. "Cool" as in: The lead character might wear sunglasses at night.
500x_dx_hr_screenshot_sewers.jpg
Human Revolution was therefore shown, fittingly, in the dark at E3, in a theater where the game's developers zipped through a two-part demonstration. The game takes place in 2027 the not too-distant future. Hero Adam Jensen is up against conspiracies woven in a dark and electrified over-developed urban landscape that resembles the metropolis of Blade Runner.
The focus of the E3 Human Revolution demo was gameplay. In the first part, we were shown the game's conversation system. In executing his quests, Jensen can talk to many people, with some multiple choice options directing the conversation. A developer described the conversations as battles, your verbal offense against others' defense. The player looks for an opening, a psychological weakness and might apply pressure or disagree, maybe back off and see where that gets them. You don't pick dialogue so much as you pick moods.
The second part of the demo showed the action parts of Human Revolution. This sequence took place mostly outdoors to showcase varied ways to approach an important warehouse. The sky was sunset-orange but hazy with smog. Jensen, we were told, can be armed with various biological augmentations that might help him turn invisible or have added strength. These are the kind of character-customization options with which a Deus Ex player might be familiar and each would allow the level to play out differently.
The action was controlled from a first-person perspective, though frequent snaps to cover switched the game to a third-person view. The third-person view was also used during signature moments of attack, of which we were told there were many and that they were dynamic. One had Jensen stabbing a security guard from behind, another ripping through a wall to snap the neck of the guard standing on the other side. One more featuring him dropping from the rafters to repel a salvo of machine gun fire right back at the circle of soldiers who fired it at him.
We were shown computer-hacking, which lets Jensen scope out an area, hack robots, deactivate enemy turrets or program them to attack the bad guys. Prefer offense? All guns in the game can be augmented. The showcased weapon was a crossbow that pinned a bad guy's head to a wall. As Jensen approached the warehouse we were told there are multiple ways for him to get inside it, befitting the Deus Ex tradition of player choice.
500x_dx_hr_screenshot_hacking2.jpg
Inside the warehouse, Jensen fought a mech. A rocket launcher upgraded with heat-based targeting took it out. Outside, he got beat up by a tough burly man with a machine gun for an arm.
The game looked slick already, but because it is a game about choices and complexity, it is hard to assess at an E3. The mechanics look sound. The graphics look nice. The systems are in place for gamers to play Human Revolution the way they want to. But does it come together well? We need more time with it to tell.
At the end of one of his Mickey Mouse demos at E3, Spector said he might someday be ready to make another "sunglasses at night" game in his career. He is not, of course, involved in Human Revolution. Perhaps this is the kind he needs from time to time. Perhaps it is something we need too. Human Revolution is our next try at one. It is set for release next year, but hopefully we can see much more soon.
original article: http://kotaku.com/5568944/deus-ex-human-revolution-plays-best-behind-shades

Last edited:
New trailer popped up with some gameplay footage:

Yay, air vents! Don't know if those Mortal Kombatesque Finish him -kills really fit in, but as a whole looking pretty damn promising.

Looks very good. Open world 3rd-person shooter (with 1st person also) set in the future has gotten me interested! :D

does remind me a lot of Fallout 3 but without the whole nuclear wasteland setting.

New trailer with lots of gameplay footage:

Looks epic! Epic and brown!

This game looks amazing. I've never played the first two though. Does anyone think it be worth it to find the previous two and play them or would reading the wikipedia story summary be fine?

The first one has awesome gameplay and story, but will feel really old, the 2nd one is a bit better in the graphics department, but the story is a bit watered down, however it's still enjoyable. I played a bit of the first one when I got into fps games, which was rather late already. :/

I'm actually playing the first one now. While it may be a bit older, it's very good. It's also a challenge.

I'll have to find the old ones then. I'm in the middle of playing American McGee's Alice right now so I'm not really bothered by the look of older games.

Deus Ex 1, fucking Gunther Herman, killing dudes from extreme distance with a shotgun, and having all your limbs shredded. Good times.

From the gameplay trailer, this is looking sweet.

I'll have to find the old ones then. I'm in the middle of playing American McGee's Alice right now so I'm not really bothered by the look of older games.

The old ones are worth playing, though as aforesaid I preferred the original because of it's intricate gameplay and customisation mechanics.

The new one looks very glam and all, in all its Final-Fantasy style 3D cinematic excellence, but does anyone find the "new" game world may be a strange contrast to that presented in Deus Ex 1? We didn't see any megacities in the first one, nor were there tilt-jet aircraft.

I'm expecting a stealth helicopter to be far more practical than a tiltjet for in-city insertions as shown in the gameplay trailer, because the tiltjet would have a problem melting the surface it lands and takeoff from (present-day Harriers have this issue). But the lack of jet-blast is purely nitpicking, the cinematics are indeed epic but I'm afraid I may decide to replay Deus Ex 1 yet again as I much prefer the original's sterile, precision-based approach to combat (and huge mech augmentations ala Gunther Hermann) than the new one whose main character is a blend of Iron Man and BloodRayne (check out the wrist blades!).

Last edited:
Excuse this, but...
DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANTDO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANTDO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANTDO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANTDO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANTDO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANTDO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT