Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Just install VLC, it's good, simple and plays everything :) There should also be a basic player included (I think Totem), but it'll only play free codecs to start with, you'll need the Ubuntu Restricted Extras package for systemwide proprietary codec support.

Woops.. Since I have been using WMP in 7, I forgot about VLC :mrgreen:

Since my HDD is crashed I'm using a ubuntu boot CD thingy (Till I get another HDD). :p I'm totally confused how I can install programs and run it like a normal OS because well there isn't any HDDs attached. (Yeah I know I will lose everything when I restart)
I'm not certain, but I think the Ubuntu-Software-Center will install stuff as usual if you don't go over the top. Also, if you have a USB-Stick lying around, you could use this as a "Live-CD" and even save some files and configuration, depending on how big it is.

Woops.. Since I have been using WMP in 7, I forgot about VLC :mrgreen:

I was baffled by that as well.... it has to go to memory, I guess. I can't see any other possibility. Of course this means you run out of RAM if you "install" too many programs.

I was baffled by that as well.... it has to go to memory, I guess. I can't see any other possibility. Of course this means you run out of RAM if you "install" too many programs.

Is there some thing like a Task Manager in Linux that we can monitor the RAM and CPU usage? :p
I only have 2GB of ram and I was using Linux the whole day Browsing the web, attacking Youtube and I even had VLC installed but it never showed any signs of it slowing down. Chrome opens in under a second!! Thats quite amazing! And it still opened under a second at the end of the day...

Still I don't think I will test to see the limits of this Linux. I only have few programs installed as of now. (Opera, Chrome) to hold me over until my new HDD comes.

I'm not certain, but I think the Ubuntu-Software-Center will install stuff as usual if you don't go over the top. Also, if you have a USB-Stick lying around, you could use this as a "Live-CD" and even save some files and configuration, depending on how big it is.

Thats interesting. I have a 8GB USB thats half full, laying around. Can I use it as "Live - CD" thing without deleting my files?

http://pixlr.com/editor/

Neat looking online image editor, a lot of photoshop similar tools and smooth to use, when one doesnt have PS handy at work

I did this
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2010/11/22/good_news_everyone.jpg

to this
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2010/11/22/GOODNEWSdb_001.jpg

:lol:

Remember to take cache and buffers into account.

Cache to what? There's no storage! That's the part I don't get. I suppose, with 2 GB RAM, you could easily just be holding the entirety of Chrome, Firefox, and VLC in there... none of those are very large programs.

I think Ubuntu uses what's called a "ramdisk" in this case. Basically, it allocates some memory and then mounts it into the filesystem in place of where the hard drive would usually go. Then it loads whatever it needs from system libraries in there and links the rest to the CD, and you can also install software and stuff in there - of course, it'll all be gone after a reboot. Technically, what people said above about the USB stick should be doable - just mount that instead of the ramdisk and have the system install itself and the software on there, basically, what you get is a portable Linux installation of your own :)

Well, there is portable Linux, so, yeah, or, whatever.

Regarding the partitioning of the USB stick, always assume it'll wipe the disk! I found out the hard way. Backing that small amount of data up isn't difficult. If it is difficult then don't use the USB stick. :p

Does anyone have any experience with a Blackberry Curve 9300 (Curve 3G in NA)?

What's it like? :) I'm kind of playing with the idea of replacing my HTC Hero with one next week when my contract ends.