Bob Lutz surfaces at Lotus

jack_christie

Forum Addict
This can only end well...

Didn't they just say they're going to make fatter cars because they "want to"?

Him and this Dany Bahar are gonna kill Lotus. Gee, I wish I could get a job on a board and make 6 figures for a week of work a year.

Step 1.) Remove the single Lotus selling point and brand identity
Step 2.) Treat the media like scum and sell cars to fat bank managers
step 3.) Profit?

Anyone else see this on Jalopnik

Last edited:
I don't mean to be rude, but this news is kind of old now. It was announced that he was involved with Lotus before the L.A. Auto show, and then he, Sharon Stone, and several other people were at the Lotus booth.

Of course. A loss making car company announce they're going to put out five new indistinguishable models that rape the meaning of the brand. That has this guy's name all over it.

Seriously being a top auto executive must just be about looking good in a suit and talking about your skills and achievements with confidence, even when the rest of the world thinks you should be stacking bread in a supermarket.

Bankruptcy and government bailout coming in 3... 2... 1...

RIP Lotus, you will be missed :(

Lutz is responsible, at least in part, for some of GMs more likable cars.

I agree the BMW 3 series (original) was fat and shit as was the Viper. And I don't know of a forum member here who doesn't punch himself in the kidney when they think about the Sierra being imported to the US. And remember the Cadillac 16 he tried to bring into production? Wow, how about a real car like an ES Lexus Lutz!

Lutz is just another motorcycle riding jet aircraft flying executive drone.

Last edited:
so... Zeta-based Lotus going to be teased multiple times now?

A Lotus Commodore would be pathetic! I rather stick to the real Carlton/Omega One, then have a hot Aussie, imported, that they don't even sell with LHD! Vauxhall didnt even sell it as an official replacement, they just try to polish their badge because it was harmed by some rusty Kadetts.

Lutz has expressed skepticism on the issue of global warming, and on one occasion referred to it as "a total crock of shit."

Doesn't sound like a bad guy going from the Wiki page on him.

Isn't this the guy that organized a race in a CTS-V against other performance sedans? He seems like he really is a car guy, though of course that doesn't necessarily make him a good businessman.

i just want to take a 2x4 and write in big letters "SIMPLIFY AND ADD LIGHTNESS" and beat the current lotus execs with it

A Lotus Commodore would be pathetic! I rather stick to the real Carlton/Omega One, then have a hot Aussie, imported, that they don't even sell with LHD! Vauxhall didnt even sell it as an official replacement, they just try to polish their badge because it was harmed by some rusty Kadetts.

Pontiac G8? Chevy Lumina? Both are LHD Commadore's sold in the US and the Middle East.

Pontiac G8? Chevy Lumina? Both are LHD Commadore's sold in the US and the Middle East.

The G8 died with Pontiac. The Lumina has been dead for awhile in the US, and was replaced by the Chevrolet Impala. In the United States, the Chevy Lumina was always a front wheel drive sedan (also available as a coupe), as is the Chevy Impala.

Both are LHD Commadore's sold in the US and the Middle East.

Far away from the European border...

...Also the Commodore was and is and will always be a Holden, produced in Australia, which is where if you look down your Carpet on the floor, on the other side of the world.

Which means if Lotus is gonna use it as a base, it would take ages to produce. The Original Carlton's where actually generic GSi/3000 one, which was brought by Truck's and a Ferry to the Factory in Norfolk, where it was tuned. All this took maximum 2 Day's time. But to ship a bunch of Commodores around the world takes weeks, and they are allready shipping thousands and thousands of Cars around the world because they can only produce the Zeta floorpan in Australia.

So at the end, you have a overpriced tuned VXR8 which was allready tuned by HSV, that takes longer to deliver then a Volkswagen these days (7-8 months), which is a fat, fuel guzzler which doesnt even have a real market in Fuelsaving-Europe.

The Lotus Carlton is a unrplaceble Legend.

I have this vision of Bob Lutz being some kind of immortal, Highlander kind of entity, who after retreating to the underground has literally surfaced at Lotus. He can't be killed, there can only be one Maximum Bob Lutz.