Why I think the JDM culture is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

Car(s)
Classified
Warning, this is a rant.

Is it just me, or has the JDM culture gotten a bit ridiculous. I am all for people loving their cars and I appreciate all different automotive cultures, but has JDM become the new "ricer"? It's kind of funny because JDM folks hate ricers with a passion, yet most of the mods they do to their cars are purely cosmetic. ex. Putting racing bucket seats with harnesses in a Honda with about as much power as my lawn mower, quick release steering wheels, and even hindering /handling performance with stupid amounts of negative camber as well as adding tow hooks (when most of them never track their cars. Auto X doesn't count as tracking) Not to mention what's with their language? "That's tyt bro, that's clean bro, that's JDM ballin bro..." I remember JDM used to be about converting USDM cars to JDM spec, nothing more. But now, it has just become a competition to see who can put as many brand name JDM aftermarket on their cars. Lastly, what is with all the dumb JDM stickers and dolls they stick on their vehicles.

ex:
1250201104_jdm-shocker-sticker_w450_h400.jpg

domokun_plush_doll_type_1.jpg

JDM%20Soshinoya%20%28New%20Driver%29%20Badges%20Large.jpg

Last edited:
Cool story bro.

There is nothing wrong with putting racing seats in a "low powered car". Tons of people race Miatas and the like.

Last edited:
It's basically ricer elitists.

Plus they're dumb kids with ego's to fill. Maybe they'll mature someday.

-Robert

The little doll in the middle, that's domo, I like it actually but don't "own" one. Better off as a desk ornament. The Green and yellow sticker is kind of funny in a way... because in Japan it stands for "Novice" driver. So really it's doing its intended purpose and the "shocker" sticker is a bit immature but who isn't at 16-20.

It's a harmless fad. Yeah your probably like "wtf" about it but it's better than people racing down my street, just my perspective. Also of course there are people who take this "fashion" and make it a "lifestyle?" as for those people better off just leaving them be.

Last edited:
What the hell is JDM? And should we care?

The reason why there is such an Plastic boom is this:

the-fast-and-the-furious.jpg

http://img527.imageshack.**/img527/7594/nfsu2cf8.jpg

53115795.jpg

nfs%20carbon%20psp.jpg

They first watch the Movie, then someone releases an close related computergame, they buy it, and game it, first it was ricy, then in got even worse. JDM guys are just wannabe Paul Walker's, in a Hyundai Accident.

i think fast and the furious was the guys that stuffed it up for everybody. ricers to be honest don't really understand the "harder bits" of the car, if that is correct to say, like different parts have their own function - mufflers, exhausts, intakes and chip mods are all part of a system/process for improving the performance of a car. but instead, they tend to like the visual representation of it, like giving a loud noise from just the modification of the muffler and that somewhat to them already means great performance improvement.

edit: what the pictures above say.

Warning, this is a rant.

Is it just me, or has the JDM culture gotten a bit ridiculous. I am all for people loving their cars and I appreciate all different automotive cultures, but has JDM become the new "ricer"? It's kind of funny because JDM folks hate ricers with a passion, yet most of the mods they do to their cars are purely cosmetic. ex. Putting racing bucket seats with harnesses in a Honda with about as much power as my lawn mower, quick release steering wheels, and even hindering /handling performance with stupid amounts of negative camber as well as adding tow hooks (when most of them never track their cars. Auto X doesn't count as tracking) Not to mention what's with their language? "That's tyt bro, that's clean bro, that's JDM ballin bro..." I remember JDM used to be about converting USDM cars to JDM spec, nothing more. But now, it has just become a competition to see who can put as many brand name JDM aftermarket on their cars. Lastly, what is with all the dumb JDM stickers and dolls they stick on their vehicles.

Let me explain to you how this works... In the beginning there is some kind of "movement" or "culture" and it usually starts off pretty small with only a few fans. Then over time more and more people see it or hear about it and it becomes more and more popular and as more and more people begin to follow the "fad" those originators begin to push the envelope of what is acceptable and the people just getting into it try to copy them. Finally when it becomes truly mainstream people just take everything too far and it begins to become a caricature of what it once was. This happens with pretty much anything that that becomes popular.

Examples:
Euro cars with "rusty" body panels
Baggy pants around 1998
Rave culture circa 2002
Donks

Also you forgot the part where you yell "get off my lawn..."

Last edited:
It's really all about fun. Domos and shocker stickers are dumb are though. And stretched tires with stupid camber came from the VW scene. I dare you to tell these guys that their tow hooks are ghay.

gang-of-japanese-men-with-amazing-hair.jpg

These guys look like a cross between Guitar Wolf and the Leningrad Cowboys! I approve!

As with most things, moderation is the key. I wouldn't mind putting a few JDM things on my Honda, but I hate all these idiotic automotive "cultures" and so-called "life styles".

As with most things, moderation is the key. I wouldn't mind putting a few JDM things on my Honda, but I hate all these idiotic automotive "cultures" and so-called "life styles".

I'm proud of having none. If you're part of a "culture", "life style", "club" or "ideology", you're always pre-occupied and cannot see things objectively and differentiated. It's hard sometimes, though, because people always tend to think I am fan of X, because I've been talking enthusiastically about it, and are confused or even irritated, when I suddenly also like Y or Z.

That's why I always get into trouble with fanboys and haters.

Last edited:
Cool story bro.

There is nothing wrong with putting racing seats in a "low powered car". Tons of people race Miatas and the like.

Putting racing seats in a Miata that you race is perfectly acceptable. The point I am trying to make is that JDM folks put racing seats, tow hooks and other racing accessories in their low powered daily drivers that will never see a track day.

It's really all about fun. Domos and shocker stickers are dumb are though. And stretched tires with stupid camber came from the VW scene. I dare you to tell these guys that their tow hooks are ghay.

gang-of-japanese-men-with-amazing-hair.jpg

I am referring to JDM guys/gals in North America. The majority of them are 16-25 year old hipsters who wear beanie caps, baggy pants, and brightly coloured shirts with large white print on the front.

What the hell is JDM? And should we care?

Trust me, it's better you don't know.

Last edited:
Putting racing seats in a Miata that you race is perfectly acceptable. The point I am trying to make is that JDM folks put racing seats, tow hooks and other racing accessories in their low powered daily drivers that will never see a track day.
You missed the point. Power is irrelevant, yet you continue to say "low powered." Putting a racing seat in an M5 that will never see the track is just as ridiculous as putting a race seat in a CRX that will never see the track.

But putting a race seat in a CRX built for STS (that's autocross, BTW), where the CRX is low powered, but will be cornering at its limit, is reasonable. The seat saves weight, which makes the car faster in its class, and helps the driver remain in place with the higher g-forces more effectively.

... I prefer higher bolstered seats even on the street ...

Status
Not open for further replies.