Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

I participated in an organized EMU-debate recently and I just came here to gloat a bit over how glad I am that I voted no to the ? and that the no-side is now stronger than ever, as it should be with there being no economic reasons to join. I and my partners likened the EMU to a straightjacket, which it is, and once you have it on you're bound to march slowly away from economic progress to the sound of german march music, as we can see with all the countries around the Eurozone that cannot save their own sinking economies. I was quite content with my little tirade. I should probably try and get a seat on the EU Parliament, altough they are such bores.
Swedish economy posts record growth.

I'd like to send a cake to Mr Bloom because he is right, Schulz is trying to accomplish the same things that the man with the mustache did, turning Europe into a single nation. He might not be as violent, but his objective and ideological motivation behind is just as unsound. Go away Schulz, and take your ECB interest rates with you.

The more I think about Palin, and her presumed run in 2012, the more I think about what would occur during her potential presidency. And the more I think about that the more scared I get. Watching her and reading interview excerpts I am absolutely fearful of the government she would run. Tyranny is the most apt word to describe my ruminations. What's the quote about tyranny coming to America wrapped in a flag and holding the bible?

The more I think about Palin, and her presumed run in 2012, the more I think about what would occur during her potential presidency. And the more I think about that the more scared I get. Watching her and reading interview excerpts I am absolutely fearful of the government she would run. Tyranny is the most apt word to describe my ruminations. What's the quote about tyranny coming to America wrapped in a flag and holding the bible?
If she were let lose perhaps, but her sponsors, advisors, party ... they would hold her back. They?d make sure whatever happens - in the end she won?t get to risk the stabilty the market needs. This is promotion-talk, perhaps it?s what she?d like to do (also remember, politicians are all fake - maybe that?s not even true) - but it?s not what would happen. Consider a Potential Palin President as a Dog on a leash ... scary but harmless in the end.

And of course ... it?s not like the president has all the power and can do as he pleases. As your current one proves over and over ...

@ phuckingduck

What part of that did you miss when Bush jr. was elected/in office? Do you remember Free Speech Zones?

@ phuckingduck

What part of that did you miss when Bush jr. was elected/in office? Do you remember Free Speech Zones?

For all the noise that people on your side of the political spectrum made about 'trampled rights' under Bush, I wonder at how you are remaining so quiet about the much more widespread and blatant rights violations committed by the current Administration and Congress. Between the TSA groping-or-cancer-and-if-you-complain-you-get-marked-down-as-a-domestic-terrorist-and-threatened-with-jail policies, the recent use of the Department of Homeland Security to crack down on websites by hijacking them, and the rest of the ongoing list of actions showing blatant disregard for the Constitution by this government, you are still bringing up the Free Speech Zones as an example of tyranny???

If that's tyranny, Bush was a piker compared to Obama and the rest of the Democrats in Washington.

I haven't been quiet on the TSA. But remember where/when the TSA got it's start.

And the free speech zones pissed off a few on your side too, and it is the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah, that illegal wire-tapping of thousands of US citizens and subsequent changing of the law to cover it up was peanuts compared to the TSA.

TSA, the PATRIOT Act, and the recent domain seizing bullshit are all things I am against and actively campaign against with my legislators.

My local, not the Seattle, "Taste of..." event had free speech zones. Still do in fact. Hi-effing-larious if you ask me. All they are is a parking spot outside of each entrance/exit spray painted "FREE SPEECH ZONE" with a Police Ranger standing next to it. Really, who's going to need that at a food festival? Dolts.

I was under the impression that all of the US was a "free Speech Zone" - silly me.

I haven't been quiet on the TSA. But remember where/when the TSA got it's start.

And the free speech zones pissed off a few on your side too, and it is the tip of the iceberg.
The TSA is something Obama inherited from the previous administration. He can't get rid of it, that'll play like he's opening the door for terrorists. So he's stuck with the system in place, having to nitpick small pieces of it instead of doing any type of monumental change (to believe in, eh?). I don't know wether it's a priority for him, I think it's low on the list, but I also have a hard time believing the actual procedures have been decided on in the Oval, so it's not really his thing anyway.

What's so funny with some of the neocons who supported Bush (some of the Fox pundits, for instance) have taken a 180 and now fights some of the same measures. It's just silly, and makes little sense anyway.

I was under the impression that all of the US was a "free Speech Zone" - silly me.
While I think the term "free Speech Zone" sounds as ludicrous as "Freedom Toast" or "Banana free Bananas", I do recognize the need for some sort of protection for people like the NCA etc. You can't take your gun into the White House either, nothing weird about it.

But I do find the name silly, and I presume it's not implemented with free speech in focus, to put it politely.

Does anything like traffic court exist in Europe? I was listening to a lecture about Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America and the subject came up. In the United States one can contest the charges and have their day in court if they wish. If found guilty they must pay the fine but if exonerated the charges are dismissed.

Does anything like traffic court exist in Europe? I was listening to a lecture about Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America and the subject came up. In the United States one can contest the charges and have their day in court if they wish. If found guilty they must pay the fine but if exonerated the charges are dismissed.
Funny you mention that, I forgot to feed a meter today and was issued a $3 parking ticket. That I can fight in court. I laughed my ass off and walked (literally) three blocks down the street to the court house and paid the fine.

Last edited:
Political quote of the week courtesy of MadCat's mom: "The TSA is unconstitutional and just another example of government intrusion. If they just gave the police more power to do their jobs, this wouldn't happen."

Oh mah gee, tonight I walked by my parents on the way to the kitchen. They were watching Palin's reality show.

Hope is lost.

Well, we have a lot of different systems in Europe, but here in Norway if you want to contest a speeding fine or any motoring charge, you can do so in court.

Oh mah gee, tonight I walked by my parents on the way to the kitchen. They were watching Palin's reality show.

Hope is lost.
Kidnap them and put them in the loft. Lock the door. Cash their pay checks.

Just came over this.

Idaho Prison guards 'filmed watching inmate attack'

BBC.co.uk said:
Prison surveillance cameras in Idaho have captured footage of one inmate beating another prisoner, while guards looked on, AP news agency has reported.

The man being attacked, Hanni Elabed, appears to bang on a guard station window for help, the video obtained by AP shows, but guards do not intervene.

Questions are now being raised as to whether the Idaho Correctional Center regularly allows inmate violence.

The firm running the jail told AP it was co-operating with an investigation.

The video obtained by the Associated Press, which it says has been verified by someone familiar with the case, appears to show at least three prison guards watching as Elabed is knocked unconscious by another prisoner.

About two minutes after the prisoner decides to end the beating, correctional officers emerge from behind a metal door to place him in handcuffs, the footage shot in January shows.

As a result of the attack, Elabed suffered bleeding inside his skull and spent the following three days in a coma, according to AP. He has reportedly been left with brain damage.
'Gladiator school'

Idaho's top federal prosecutor contacted AP hours after the footage was published on Tuesday, and said the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had been investigating whether guards at the Idaho Correctional Center violated the civil rights of inmates, AP reported.
Hanni Elabed Elabed bled inside his skull following the assault at Idaho Correctional Center, AP reports

The investigation into the prison, which is run by the Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), includes concerns over multiple assaults between inmates, including attacks on Elabed, US attorney Wendy Olson told the news agency.

CCA, the largest private prison company in the US, said it was co-operating with federal agents in the investigation and that it was disappointed by the release of the footage.

"Public release of the video poses an unnecessary security risk to our staff, the inmates entrusted to our care and ultimately to the public," CCA said in a statement.

The American Civil Liberties Union said the video supported claims made in a federal class action lawsuit filed by the ACLU in March that the prison fostered a "culture of rampant violence".

Prisoners have filed a number of lawsuits against the prison in the past, saying the facility covers up the attacks by denying the prisoners medical treatment.

The Idaho jail has been nicknamed "Gladiator school" by its inmates because of its reputation for violence.

CCA oversees about 75,000 inmates in more than 60 facilities in 19 US states under contracts with the federal government.

You guys need to do something about your prison system. You just can't have prisons were stuff like this happen. Another question is wether or not prisons should be run by private companies.

It really sounds ludicrous to let private companies have this type of power over individuals. The right to use actual force is a right you need in a prison, and you shouldn't really give that right to private companies.

Guess I'm too European.