American Designs

Were they any good before that?

I didn't give a shit about cars until about 2003, so I don't know. But they got a whole lot better as soon as Daimler-Benz got out of the picture.

2009 Journey:

Dodge-Journey_2009_photo_08.jpg

2011 Journey:

Dodge-Journey_2011_photo_0b.jpg

2008 Avenger:

Dodge-Avenger_RT_2008_photo_0e.jpg

2011 Avenger:

Dodge-Avenger_2011_photo_0a.jpg

2008 Grand Caravan:

Dodge-Grand_Caravan_2008_photo_07.jpg

2011 Grand Caravan:

Dodge-Grand_Caravan_2011_photo_09.jpg

This sort of upgrade has happened to nearly every Chrysler model in the past year or so.

I am an American, and I abhor the PT Cruiser.

Were they any good before that?

They were a lot better. I've never liked Chrysler's minor controls - haaaate those stereos - and they'd put cheap materials in the worst possible locations sometimes - often around where you touch things a lot, which is where you want the nicest materials - but the interiors were a lot higher quality than post-Daimler.

I don't believe the old American car interiors were any better.
I honestly think that Mercedes quality dropped a lot more after it united with Chrysler than Chrysler's quality.
Like I said they didn't bring American Fords or Chevrolets from that era here so all I can tell is the Corvettes and Mustangs weren't very good either. Sure they were quite cheap too.

Sure the interiors are getting better and progress happens. You can compare the E60 and F10 BMW's and see the Chrysler isn't the only auto maker that improves its interiors.
And I'm quite sure the older designs were made by americans too.

I don't believe the old American car interiors were any better.
I honestly think that Mercedes quality dropped a lot more after it united with Chrysler than Chrysler's quality.
Like I said they didn't bring American Fords or Chevrolets from that era here so all I can tell is the Corvettes and Mustangs weren't very good either. Sure they were quite cheap too.

That's like saying the British can't make nice interiors because you're looking solely at Lotus Elises and not Jags or Land Rovers. The Corvette and the Mustang were inexpensive performance cars, and interior quality is NEVER a priority with those. Look at a 1950s Caddy and then tell me Americans always made terrible interiors.

That's like saying the British can't make nice interiors because you're looking solely at Lotus Elises and not Jags or Land Rovers. The Corvette and the Mustang were inexpensive performance cars, and interior quality is NEVER a priority with those. Look at a 1950s Caddy and then tell me Americans always made terrible interiors.
First of all I love old american cars but the 80's and 90's were pretty terrible.

Here's an early 2000's Cadillac DeVille interior:
Cadillac-DeVille_2002_photo_09.jpg

Cadillac-DeVille_2002_photo_07.jpg

Here's 7-series from around the same era:
1996-2001_BMW_E39_interior.jpg

Here's an Eldorado:
1998-cadillac-eldorado-2-dr-touring-coupe-pic-987.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's an early 2000's Cadillac DeVille interior:

NetCarShow has a link for hotlinking images just above the image itself. Please use it. All we're seeing are C6 Corvettes with warnings to use the hotlinking link.

I also never said that America never made a bad interior or a bad car...I'm just disagreeing with the premise that all American cars have bad interiors (and the implication that no import cars do).

I also never said that America never made a bad interior or a bad car...I'm just disagreeing with the premise that all American cars have bad interiors (and the implication that no import cars do).
Show me one good from the 80's, 90's or early 2000's. Preferrably one from each of these eras.

1963-Chevrolet-Corvette-327cid-250hp-Split-Window-Coupe-Tanker-Riverside-Red-Interior.jpg

I know the pre plastic era American interiors look great. :)

You know, the Cadillac interiors are more of a representation of how it doesn't really matter what the quality of the overall interior is, just what the quality of the parts you interact with regularly is. It's actually a pretty nice design overall, except all the buttons are those big chunky buttons that look more at home in a Chevy Silverado than a luxury car, which GM insisted on using in every model line. If Cadillac had their own unique buttons and minor controls it might actually be regarded as a pretty good interior overall.

First of all I love old american cars but the 80's and 90's were pretty terrible.

For a lot of things yes. I personally I like the '90's Ford interiors. I grew up with them so that may be a factor in taste.

Show me one good from the 80's, 90's or early 2000's. Preferrably one from each of these eras.

I hate pretty much all late 70s' and 80s' interiors so I won't post anything there.

'94 -'98 Mustang: Not luxury, but well done.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2010/12/01/94113221000407-480.jpg

Ford GT

2005-Ford-GT-Interior-Dash-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
For a lot of things yes. I personally I like the '90's Ford interiors. I grew up with them so that may be a factor in taste.

I owned a 92 Ford F150, I will go as far as to say that its interior, while made from ONLY cheap shiny plastic and nothing else, was a nicer place to be in then the one in my current truck.

Conan likes his too. :)

I submit the 94 Impala. I like the car but damn the interior is hideous :D

33681830026_large.jpg

Granted the color is particularly hideous but the plastics & shapes aren't much better :D

I submit the 94 Impala. I like the car but damn the interior is hideous :D

33681830026_large.jpg

Granted the color is particularly hideous but the plastics & shapes aren't much better :D
Oh my god! Now I know there isn't one :lol:

Chrysler 300M
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/labcoatguy/2010/12/01/300m-for-special.jpg
(picture should work now)
They were hobbled by having to use the corporate radio and AC controls, but not too bad. This was the pinnacle of pre-Daimler Chrysler in the late 90s and early 2000s. It cost about $30,000 at the time, so keep that in mind when you're comparing it to Euro marques.

Last edited:
Last edited: