Official 2011 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

That guy looks like the baddie in a B-action movie...
Anyway best luck to him but any news to what's Hulk gonna do now?

No idea... there would be a seat at Renault if they decide to kick Petrov off the team. Toro Rosso have Buemi, Alguersuari and Ricciardo ready to kick one of them out of a seat mid-season, Force India will probably go for Sutil and di Resta... and all that's left otherwise is Virgin or HRT.

I assume the only real option for Hulk is Force India. I expect Renault to keep Petrov for financial reasons. Someone remind me, do we know Glock's situation in Virgin? I read somewhere that Mikhail Aleshin apparently is set for a race seat and I assume that would be one Virgin seats taken, if they intend to retain Glock that would mean there would be no space for Hulk there either. And Nico has already ruled out HRT as an option so that only leaves Force India.

As for the Force India seat, I would assume Hulk to be more interesting prospect than Paul, to be honest. Nico has a full year of experience in F1 and has proven that he is the real deal. Paul, on the other hand, only has done some testing and friday tests. His history with the team and background with Mercedes could be an advantage but is that enough?

It's a real shame that there doesn't seem to be enough space for both of them in F1...

No idea... there would be a seat at Renault if they decide to kick Petrov off the team. Toro Rosso have Buemi, Alguersuari and Ricciardo ready to kick one of them out of a seat mid-season, Force India will probably go for Sutil and di Resta... and all that's left otherwise is Virgin or HRT.

virgin has to give d'ambrosio a seat!!!!!!!

Would HRT even want Hulk, since he brings no money (why he was forced out from Williams) and HRT needs pay drivers to fund operations.

Would HRT even want Hulk, since he brings no money (why he was forced out from Williams) and HRT needs pay drivers to fund operations.

HRT will use Williams gearboxes and hydraulics next year, and there was some speculation that if HRT would run Hulkenberg next year they would get a better deal for those parts, so he would have been bringing in something worth money. That, however, was only speculation and as said Hulk said he was not interested in driving for HRT.

Honestly, given this year's performance, I don't think any driver wants to. Are HRT saving development for next year? Because it seems they've not improved the car much. Neither do they look like a team that's financially sustainable.

Driving in F1 even for a back of the pack team is a great asset to some drivers specially young ones gaining experience... And the same as there's only 1 championm some team has to be the worst

Eyebrow Man started with Minardi after all. As i've said, i'm impressed with HRT's box on wheels. In fact they did finish above Virgin Racing for 2010, so roll on 2011.

Was that the same time as when his chassis wasn't "feeling" right??

Wasn't it Vettel whinging about the chassis not being 'right', before being given a new one?

As long as none of the cars are able to check out and disappear into the sunset like RBR did I'll be happy. I watch F1 because I want to see some actual racing, if I want to see a parade I can always flip over to NASCAR.

According to James Allen, Webber's slump in form towards the end of the season was actually the result of a shoulder injury picked up between the Singapore and Japan GPs. And the only two other people who knew of this during the season were his trainer and one of the FIA doctors.

Indeed, it turned to be true. According to Autosport he had a fractured shoulder as a result of a bike collision with one of his mates. The guy really knows how to ride bikes doesn't he?
Webber raced with fractured shoulder

Sorry for the double post, FG servers go crazy for me sometimes.

He was hit by a car the first time, and the second time it was his mate who crashed and blocked the path, leaving Webber with nowhere to go.

Then he must be really lucky when on a bike.

His fault... I'm not saying don't have fun, but going on shannanigans on bikes with your mates when you're on the edge of winning your first championship is just asking for it.
Don't get me wrong, extremely bad luck and I feel for the guy, that must have been painful to drive through.

Group Lotus unveils F1 plans with Renault

By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, December 8th 2010, 08:49 GMT
1291798418.jpg

Group Lotus has ramped up its involvement in Formula 1 by becoming title sponsor and a major shareholder in the rebranded Lotus Renault GP Team.

As AUTOSPORT exclusively revealed in October, Renault has revised its F1 strategy by selling the stake it had in its F1 team back to co-owners Genii Capital and will now focus on being just an engine supplier.
That move has allowed Genii to sell a stake to Group Lotus - which has led to a renaming of the outfit and a move for the team's colours to be in iconic black and gold next year.
The title sponsorship deal with Group Lotus is due to run until the end of the 2017 season, with Renault committing to supply engines to the team for a number of years.

Gerard Lopez, chairman of Renault F1 Team, said about the deal: "We are delighted that we can now go public with the news that we will be racing as Lotus Renault GP in 2011.
"It is extremely exciting to begin a new era for the team in partnership with Group Lotus, and we will continue to enjoy a strong relationship with Renault over the coming seasons. It is a tribute to the excellent work this year by the team in Enstone that we have been able to attract both major sponsorship and new investment for a very bright future."

The announcement of Group Lotus' plans for 2011 comes despite Tony Fernandes pushing on with his plans to race as Team Lotus next year - with his outfit now also having Renault engines and set to run in black and gold colours.

Group Lotus CEO Dany Bahar, who has been pushing aggressively for his company's return to motorsport, added: "I can think of no better platform for automotive brand communications than motorsport and F1 is the very pinnacle of open-wheel racing.

"We're well aware that there has been a lot of controversy around the usage of our brand in F1 and I'm delighted to be able to formally clarify our position once and for all: we are Lotus and we are back."

Will the real Team Lotus please stand up?

Last edited: