The Android thread

EQ?

Verizon is turning on LTE for LA and 37 other cities on December 5th. Maybe it's time for you to start shopping again Shawn.

Verizon is turning on LTE for LA and 37 other cities on December 5th. Maybe it's time for you to start shopping again Shawn.

Yeah, but there won't be any LTE ready phones on VZW at launch, only USB data sticks. :/

I know... I'm so glad I didn't stick with the Epic 4G hunk of crap, or Sprint for that matter. I mean I could still return it under the 30-day return policy, but I like to think I can see into the future.

How is it they don't have any LTE phones for the launch of the network? They don't exist yet, or maybe they don't want to overload the new network and are ramping things up gradually?

Edit: Actually, not sure if I like Verizon so much either. I got a call from a VZW salesperson the night before last, and he was pushy and rude. He asked me if what turned me off Verizon was the $400 security deposit they wanted due to my lack of a SSN (I submitted a credit application with them along with Sprint, Sprint only wanted a $250 deposit so I went with them), I said yes. And then the fucking asshat proceeded to tell me that I should think of the $400 as a savings account type of deal. I don't even seen the logic in that statement...

Oh well, it seems like there's some time before LTE phones are available, maybe I'll have a social by then and won't have to open a savings account with Verizon. :rolleyes: For now, AT&T and the trusty Froyo'd HD2 are doing me well... aside from my aunt's house which is a total dead zone on AT&T, their coverage has been decent to great.

Last edited:
I just tried the Desire HD rom, which was very nice, feature packed and nice to use, but too hardware intensive for my phone. It really does need the 2nd gen Snapdragon cpu. The camera app, on the other hand is amazing and works just fine and I'm right now in the process of pulling it from the zip and trying to install in the standard rom.

I know... I'm so glad I didn't stick with the Epic 4G hunk of crap, or Sprint for that matter. I mean I could still return it under the 30-day return policy, but I like to think I can see into the future.

How is it they don't have any LTE phones for the launch of the network? They don't exist yet, or maybe they don't want to overload the new network and are ramping things up gradually?

Edit: Actually, not sure if I like Verizon so much either. I got a call from a VZW salesperson the night before last, and he was pushy and rude. He asked me if what turned me off Verizon was the $400 security deposit they wanted due to my lack of a SSN (I submitted a credit application with them along with Sprint, Sprint only wanted a $250 deposit so I went with them), I said yes. And then the fucking asshat proceeded to tell me that I should think of the $400 as a savings account type of deal. I don't even seen the logic in that statement...

Oh well, it seems like there's some time before LTE phones are available, maybe I'll have a social by then and won't have to open a savings account with Verizon. :rolleyes: For now, AT&T and the trusty Froyo'd HD2 are doing me well... aside from my aunt's house which is a total dead zone on AT&T, their coverage has been decent to great.

It's more of a combo of both. There's an LTE handset on MetroPCS but it's not a smartphone, just a feature phone. Also, they are probably trying not to overload the network either. The same thing happened when 3G came. (yes i know LTE and WiMax are 3G as well..:p)

As far as Verizon goes, I've never dealt with any salespeople other than my brother (and then only once, the rest of my devices I bought off eBay) but the email customer service was very nice. If I could change anything about VZW it would be the pricing...yes I know it's a "premium" carrier due to its network solidarity, but they nickel and dime you for evvveerrything.

Sucks to hear that your Epic experience wasn't so..well XD... I wanted to like that phone, was seriously thinking of switching to Sprint but didn't feel like breaking my ETF at the time. I'm glad I didn't solely because of the GPS issues, and the cheap feeling slider (Before I had got the Droid, I thought that a spring assist slider was better....not anymore) mechanism turned me off. Love the software side of things though. *ducks*

I'm trying to decide what to get when I'm eligible to upgrade in a few months. HTC Merge looks promising but I feel like I'd be making a mistake to buy a phone that's only CDMA/GSM dual-mode now of all times. Plus, because it's not branded as "Droid" it has Bing search/voice search integration. I don't mind Bing, loved it in it's various incarnations on Win Mo, and installed it on my Droid (w/out voice search thank God) but I'm not a fan of it being so integrated into the phone's OS the way VZW has it.

I like T-Mobile for what they are here in the US. They offer great service where I am for a very reasonable price, and they're slowly improving their coverage.

Engadget has an article with some decent screenshots of 2.3 Gingerbread. Boo black status bar, I liked the white since it set it apart from Sense and others.

gingerbread12022010.jpg

Black status bar is the only way to go. White is lame.

I can't freaking wait for CM to be ported to the Captivate. Stupid TouchWiz and shitty fuckballs AT&T and their meddling piss me off to no end. I don't even have a normal market. Why would they fuck with the market? Jerks.

Black status bar is the only way to go.

Apparently. Everyone has now gone black.

Oh well, there's options to turn stock Froyo black so I'm sure the other way will be possible too in 2.3+.

Wait what? Where? Can't find anything...

Well this is for the HD2 build I'm using now... but since it's cosmetic, I can't see why it won't work on other vanilla versions.

Actually here, this seems to be a more universal one that might be of use to you.

:lol:
Cute!
*clicks on "Install"*