The Legend - AE86

No, its not a Skyline. And no, it will never be as fast as a Skyline . But one thing is for sure, this classic Toyota legend will never phase out.

Pleased to share this immaculate 1984 model, Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex. It came from a quiet little town in Aichi prefecture, quite close to Toyota City. Had two previous owners and a very meticulous life up to now.

All stock save for updated Hayashi 14" wheels, KYB dampers, TRD springs, Toms steering wheels and an authentic TRD shift handle. Worth mentioning that three years back, it seen a high quality re-spray. Nothing was overlooked at that time. All trim removed, new badges put in place etc. They did a proper job on it!

Unsure if the new owner is on Final Gear. He is a member of Skyline Owners USA. And just sold off his BNR32 to get into this classic.

Some fruity photos of this classic machine... enjoy!

IMGP4971psd.jpg

IMGP4938psd.jpg

IMGP4935psd.jpg

IMGP4877psd.jpg

IMGP4952psd.jpg

IMGP4917psd.jpg

Reactions: TC
It's a very clean 86 but the ONLY reason that car has any following is Initial D, there isn't really anything special about it....

It's a very clean 86 but the ONLY reason that car has any following is Initial D, there isn't really anything special about it....

other than being light, RWD, well balanced, and cheap of course. I will grant you that it's popularity in the US is definitely tied to Drifting which goes hand in hand with ID but it's popularity in the rest of the world especially japan was well estabilished before ID even came out. The AE86 has a pretty storied motorsport history. While still in production the AE86 was used extensively in Grp. A and N circuit racing as well as rallying. Even after production ended it remained popular and competitive well into the mid 90's. Even today more than 25 years after it first entered production the AE86 is a popular RWD rallycar and clubman racer.

Last edited:
If I'm ever going to buy AE86, which hopefully I will, it's gonna be just like that. Yes, I like Initial D. But there's a reason why AE86 was Takumi's car for the Initial D. Like The_Finn said, it has got motorsport history. It wasn't the most glamorous racer with trophies from Monte Carlo, Le Mans or Indy 500 (that'd have been fun to see), but it was a cheap basic race car which many used in the beginning of their careers. There might still be some examples driving in Finnish rally champsionship.

Another reason why I want the AE86 to be famous is what it is: the last cheap RWD driver's car without any compromises for everyday use made by a big manufacturer. And just that kind of cars I want to see more. Total reliability, Corolla running costs, IKEA-compatible cargo space (well, sort of) and BMW handling. Now the only cheap sporty RWD in Europe is the MX-5, and many don't want 2-seater for their only car. Also without convertable roof the car could be even cheaper than the Mazda, so why the hell Toyota is still hesitating with the FT-86?

other than being light, RWD, well balanced, and cheap of course. I will grant you that it's popularity in the US is definitely tied to Drifting which goes hand in hand with ID but it's popularity in the rest of the world especially japan was well estabilished before ID even came out. The AE86 has a pretty storied motorsport history. While still in production the AE86 was used extensively in Grp. A and N circuit racing as well as rallying. Even after production ended it remained popular and competitive well into the mid 90's. Even today more than 25 years after it first entered production the AE86 is a popular RWD rallycar and clubman racer.
Even in ID more or less everyone made fun of the 86 and drove an S chassis.... There is nothing inherently better about that car compared to the S-chassis, or Miatas. It's a funky car for sure but legendary....
Like The_Finn said, it has got motorsport history.
So do Civics but we all make fun of them...
BMW handling
I have trouble believing that :)

To reiterate, I do like this particular example but it seems to be somewhat like the Civic in my mind, people like it because of a certain association with it, not necessarily the quality/performance.

Last edited:
If Takumi had puttered around Mt. Akina in a Nissan Micra, do you think fanboys would be furiously importing them grey-market into the States?

If Takumi had puttered around Mt. Akina in a Nissan Micra, do you think fanboys would be furiously importing them grey-market into the States?

JDM y0!

Look at all the riced to shit Civics out there with tow hooks that never see a road that even LEADS to a race track and then ask that question....

But why have one over, let?s say a BMW E30.

In the spring I saw an ae86 for sale her in Denmark for almost three times of what I paid for my E30. :?

But why have one over, let?s say a BMW E30.

In the spring I saw an ae86 for sale her in Denmark for almost three times of what I paid for my E30. :?

This is basically my issue with it as well. If this car was actually made right now and was the cheap, light, tuneable RWD then I would say yes its worth it. There are plenty of cars around from the same era that are also cheap, light and tuneable but people single this one out.

that's a nice looking Corolla you got there... :thumbup:

i assume the gauges are aftermarket?

Last edited:
I thought drifters crashed all those AE86's? :blink:

Well, glad to see they didn't kill that one yet. Great car! :cool:

Nothing particularly sophisticated about the car, just like mine. But they are both really fun.

Meh...it's just a Corolla.

A stock 86? What's so special? No Takumi, no care :p

Oh, my apologies for sharing a near original, well kept Toyota. I figured some would appreciate the well preserved state its in.

And honestly, loose the fanboy ID bull. These cars did rather well in motor sports. Well before Avex put the anime bit on the market. To this day they stand out impressively well on the circuit. And your occasional drift appearance.

And I gotta ask. Have you ever run a well sorted 86? Well meaning with the 4A motor pushing 210 at the motor in Na config. Highly doubt you have. Really.

And glad many others of you like the panda shared above.

Below is another sent over to the states late last year. Bit track oriented this one. Came loaded with suspension updates. Shame the motor was untouched. A tuning problem these days when shipping to the U.S. They allow 25yr. cars to be imported legally, but don't want them with heavy engine mods. Frankly dont wish to push them on this ruling.

EXT4.jpg

EXT2.jpg

IMGP7307.jpg

INT13.jpg

EXT24.jpg

Last edited: